LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 06:22 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another cheap and eye popping mod would be the "Lexus" projectors on the doors that point to the ground. Only about $12 a set!
Old 01-13-15, 09:16 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Hey assuming you have received your vehicle by now, how has it been? Any service you've done to it?
Don't I wish... It was in Michigan, and apparently they got some serious weather over the past few weeks. I even got an invite to the Detroit auto show from the dealer as compensation, but I couldn't go due to work!

I confirmed with the dealer they put in new spark plugs and, to my surprise, a new Lexus windshield. That tells me there was a serious problem, but we'll find out when I get my car this week - probably Friday. Thanks for asking!!
Old 01-28-15, 10:40 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

I finally got my car after all this time! It's in great condition overall, but the dealer lied to me about having done a few things (claimed it had new brake pads and NEW rotors), so I'll deal with them about that.

What I've noticed is the crunching feel of the brakes, which I have read could be the actuator, or maybe just needs bleeding. Not a fan of this.

One headlight is basically dead, so I was dismayed to realize that HID replacement requires removing the wheel and going in that way - I'm not too DIY, so I'm having a local shop swap this out with some D4S OEM bulbs I got on Amazon.

Other than that, no real complaints! I need to find an ipod adapter - basically just something that keeps it charged while plugged into the miniplug. I'm fine operating it on my own rather than getting a full-on integrated solution (though I'd prefer that if I could ever figure out a decent one).

I got my dealer to adjust a lot of the c-best settings for me, so now there are fewer annoying things about the car

I'd like to get new wheels, maybe 19" or 20", but WHY ON EARTH do websites not list the weight of wheels? I feel like that would be the first thing someone would want to know. If I get bigger wheels, I want them to be forged, so they'd be lighter.

Other ideas for me?
Old 01-29-15, 04:47 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

For simplistic iPod integration, I use the iSimple interface. You get minimal control over the device, but it's an all-in-one attachment. (Uses the Apple connector, just like a docking station)

I'm pretty sure this is the one I bought:
Amazon.com : iSimple ISTY571 Gateway Automotive Audio Input Interface Kit for 2004-11 Select Toyota and Lexus Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : iSimple ISTY571 Gateway Automotive Audio Input Interface Kit for 2004-11 Select Toyota and Lexus Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Car Electronics

Be forewarned, I had an later-version iPod Nano (don't remember model # exactly) that uses the new small form factor connector, and it was flaky with this version of iSimple, even using an Apple big-to-small adapter. I replaced a previous iPod with this new unit because it has bluetooth and I sometimes used it away from the car with bluetooth headsets.

I put the old iPod (still a Nano, if I recall, but an earlier model that uses the old larger connector) back in the car and all was well.

The only issue I occasionally run into is when I disconnect the iPod to take it into the house to load more audio books onto it (that's how I use it in the car). There is one attachment mode where the iPod screen goes blank and shows "remotely controlled" (or something similar) and you can rewind or fast-forward using the track selector buttons next to the volume ****. The other mode still gives you audio, but there's no control (and sometimes the iPod doesn't stop playing when you turn the radio off or stop the car).

iSimple provides some ability to search through the content of the iPod, but it's far from easy. Since I listen to audio books exclusively, I'm not worried about searching, I just select the book I want with the car running and the radio off and press Play on the iPod, then turn the radio on. After that, there's no interaction between me and the iPod except for an occasional rewind when I want to relisten to a section. No further interaction until I finish a book and desire to select a different book than the next one in the order (which will automatically start playing if I don't change to something different).

The Amazon link shows $79 - a pretty inexpensive offering.

You do have to remove the head unit to install this, but that's true regardless of how you choose to implement some sort of interface.
Old 01-29-15, 05:16 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EyesOnly
I finally got my car after all this time! It's in great condition overall, but the dealer lied to me about having done a few things (claimed it had new brake pads and NEW rotors), so I'll deal with them about that.

What I've noticed is the crunching feel of the brakes, which I have read could be the actuator, or maybe just needs bleeding. Not a fan of this.

One headlight is basically dead, so I was dismayed to realize that HID replacement requires removing the wheel and going in that way - I'm not too DIY, so I'm having a local shop swap this out with some D4S OEM bulbs I got on Amazon.

Other than that, no real complaints! I need to find an ipod adapter - basically just something that keeps it charged while plugged into the miniplug. I'm fine operating it on my own rather than getting a full-on integrated solution (though I'd prefer that if I could ever figure out a decent one).

I got my dealer to adjust a lot of the c-best settings for me, so now there are fewer annoying things about the car

I'd like to get new wheels, maybe 19" or 20", but WHY ON EARTH do websites not list the weight of wheels? I feel like that would be the first thing someone would want to know. If I get bigger wheels, I want them to be forged, so they'd be lighter.

Other ideas for me?
Congrats on finally finding your LS!

I'm sure you will make sure the take care of your brake issue.

When replacing HID’s low beams you should always replace both at the same time b/c the new bulb will be brighter and a different color temp. There are several ipod/iPhone cables that handle charging, playing and displaying music on the NAV screen, Vais makes some great products you can look into.

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php

Great question about weight of not being listed, but you can email or call the dealer to get that info once you narrow down your choices. Forged wheels will be lighter than cast and stronger a lot brands to choose from as well, not to mention the customization option since they are build to order.
Old 01-29-15, 08:14 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrian63
For simplistic iPod integration, I use the iSimple interface. You get minimal control over the device, but it's an all-in-one attachment. (Uses the Apple connector, just like a docking station)

I'm pretty sure this is the one I bought:
Amazon.com : iSimple ISTY571 Gateway Automotive Audio Input Interface Kit for 2004-11 Select Toyota and Lexus Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Car Electronics
This is the one I had in my LS430. It plugged into the back of the radio, but it disconnected my Sat button. The iPhone connector and a mini jack plug sat in the corner of my glove box. I plugged in the iPod and it worked great through my ML system. Unless I knew this system didn't affect the SAT button, I probably wouldn't do it to my 460.
Old 01-31-15, 05:42 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Penske in Madison WI lied to me about a few things when I bought mine out of state. Kept the snow tires they listed in their ad and TRIED to charge me $300 for nitrogen in the tires,
Body more marked up than pics description and report but love the car.
Dealer is a crook.
Bought a Jag XK a while back from Carmango Cadillac, it was Exactly as described so it can be done. Just not by Penske in Madison WI'd go 19 factory sport wheels. Light tint, Door light projectors.
Attached Thumbnails Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?-jag1.jpg   Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?-ls4601.gif  
Old 01-31-15, 05:46 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! And you can get nitrogen fill at Costco for free!!!
Old 01-31-15, 08:04 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I just ordered what I think will be a Necessary mod........A Prestigious Society Nav/DVD Bypass. My procrastination paid off too because it's on sale now for $70 0ff!

This is our first Lexus and it is the first car that we've owned that locks you out from the Nav while driving and won't let you use your cell phone!

A DVD I can understand, but the Nav and your phone?

Stupid Design if you ask me (I know they do it for legal reasons probably, but that doesn't make it any less Stupid to me!

That's all...Thanks! I feel better now!
Old 02-02-15, 02:55 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Nitrogen tire fill is complete and utter BS. N2 molecule is 300 picometers while O2 is 292, and air is already 79.1% N2 anyway. No moisture issue exists inside tires (and no difference between N2 and O2 in that respect anyway). And all gases obey the ideal gas law, expanding and contracting with temperature. So, Nitrogen is only valuable to those who forgot high school Physics.
Old 02-02-15, 08:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Nitrogen tire fill is complete and utter BS. N2 molecule is 300 picometers while O2 is 292, and air is already 79.1% N2 anyway. No moisture issue exists inside tires (and no difference between N2 and O2 in that respect anyway). And all gases obey the ideal gas law, expanding and contracting with temperature. So, Nitrogen is only valuable to those who forgot high school Physics.
Isn't nitrogen more pressure stable at all altitudes and temperatures? I know that is the case with nitrogen propellant. I teach OC Use of Force (Pepper Spray application) in the LEO community. The propellant used in the canister is nitrogen specifically because it ensures stability and consistency in it's application at all temps and conditions, avoiding mis-application, excess use of force etc.

I don't buy into nitrogen for tires, only becasue I monitor my pressures when my car doesn't do it for me.
Old 02-03-15, 05:27 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Isn't nitrogen more pressure stable at all altitudes and temperatures? I know that is the case with nitrogen propellant. I teach OC Use of Force (Pepper Spray application) in the LEO community. The propellant used in the canister is nitrogen specifically because it ensures stability and consistency in it's application at all temps and conditions, avoiding mis-application, excess use of force etc.

I don't buy into nitrogen for tires, only becasue I monitor my pressures when my car doesn't do it for me.
Correct, that is the whole point of Nitrogen, and the reason why all race cars use it. it doesn't flucuate with tire temperature as much because it is much more dense.
Old 02-03-15, 06:58 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I suspect that "all race cars use it" for the same reason that some automobile owners use it - the "Nitrogen Salesmen" found them.
Old 02-03-15, 07:53 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

some decent articles about nitrogen...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...with-nitrogen/

it's not a drastic improvement, but when it's free why not? And for my 19" wheels that have chrome peel (they leak air out constantly) i'm thinking about nitrogen to see if it will help keep the psi up for longer periods of time instead of refinishing them.