LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 09:20 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?

Just bought a 2007 LS460! I used to have a 2000 GS400, but for some stupid reason, got converted to the BMW world for many years. But I'm back!

I've been reading the stickies and searching, but I'm curious what everyone thinks would be a good use of money if I want to upgrade a bone stock new-to-me car. I bought the car to be a cushy and reliable ride since I basically spend all my time in horrible Seattle traffic.

Car has 103k miles, Mark Levinson, boring 18" wheels, and all options but not comfort plus.

It was just serviced heavily by a Lexus dealer who sold me the car. New tires, rotors, brakes, sparkplugs, etc. I bought out of state, so it'll be in my hands in 10 days.

Questions:

1. Best way to connect my ipod?
2. Any worthwhile mods or preventitive maintenance I should do ASAP?
3. What would you do to an LS to improve on it, basically? Some cars have the obvious "must-do" mods (like how corvette owners remove the sensor that forces the 1-4 gearshift)

Thanks!!
Old 12-29-14, 10:12 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

iPod...use the aux plug in the console. There really isn't an easy way to fully integrate it.

Nothing I can think of being preventative maintenance other than keep using synthetic oil. Check and make sure all the recalls were addressed. If you have a warranty make sure the front upper control arms were replaced or can be replaced.

As for must do mods most will say changing the wheels instantly changes the look of the car. 22s is the easiest but if you go 21s then that's probably the perfect size for the car. 21s feel the best to me. 22s feel a little heavy on the car. Some will say 22s feel fine but ask if they've done 21s and they'll probably say no.
Old 12-30-14, 05:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The first thing you need to do - if you haven't already - is register the car at Lexus.com, then you'll be able to see exactly what was done to the car (recalls, etc). There is a recall out right now for a fuel pressure sensor located under the manifold...they are sending out a mailing for it right now.

Personally I'd get the transmission serviced, it's a highly debated topic around here because it is "lifetime fluid", but in other countries it is not consider a lifetime fluid and it has a service interval of 60k. I did mine at 70k and the stuff was black. And if you have 100k miles on it, you will want to have the coolant changed, if it hasn't been done already. And use only toyota genuine coolant, or Zerex Asian formula. Also many people around here swear by the Toyota Synthetic 0w20 oil - and if you check around the internet it's not just highly thought of here - it's considered to be one of the best oils out there. Supposedly it's made by Mobil 1 and has a very robust moly additive package in it that our engines like.

I think you'll like these cars.
Old 12-30-14, 05:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Personally I'd get the transmission serviced, it's a highly debated topic around here because it is "lifetime fluid", but in other countries it is not consider a lifetime fluid and it has a service interval of 60k. I did mine at 70k and the stuff was black.
Not just "other" countries....EVERY other country. Only the US market says it's lifetime - no doubt a marketing thing to compete with other nanufacturers making those claims in your neck of the woods. Less and less are making those claims though and some have gone back to proper change intervals. A good example is my situation. I live in a very mild climate in Canada. I'm 5 mins from the US border in the Pacific Northwest (couple of hours from Seattle). Yet my owners manual says to change the trans fluid at certain intervals, but 5 mins away an American owner is told they never have to change theirs.
Old 12-30-14, 07:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Howdy! Gratz on the LS460. You can plug your ipod in to the aux jack inside the console. However you won't be able to see what is playing, only hear it nicely through your sound system. If you're looking for integration into your nav screen, then check out the VAIS system.
Old 12-30-14, 07:35 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Originally Posted by R Z
Howdy! Gratz on the LS460. You can plug your ipod in to the aux jack inside the console. However you won't be able to see what is playing, only hear it nicely through your sound system. If you're looking for integration into your nav screen, then check out the VAIS system.
Welcome to the club! That is correct, the only way to integrate the ipod into the factory system is using the Vaistech modules.

I have an SL2i unit for sale if anyone is interested...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mob...ml#post8816592
Old 12-30-14, 08:06 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

Wow, thanks for the thorough responses! I'll definitely change the transmission fluid, but I'm sure my dealer will be reluctant to do so given what has been said here.

Where do I buy the Toyota synthetic oil?

Are those aftermarket iPod adapters any good?
Old 12-30-14, 01:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyesOnly
Wow, thanks for the thorough responses! I'll definitely change the transmission fluid, but I'm sure my dealer will be reluctant to do so given what has been said here.

Where do I buy the Toyota synthetic oil?

Are those aftermarket iPod adapters any good?
You can get the oil at most toyota dealers and you can probably get the tranny serviced at a toyota dealer as well - they should know how to do it - but I wouldn't have a local garage handle it. They could really screw up the oil level and damage that $10k tranny.
Old 12-30-14, 02:16 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not just "other" countries....EVERY other country. Only the US market says it's lifetime - no doubt a marketing thing to compete with other nanufacturers making those claims in your neck of the woods. Less and less are making those claims though and some have gone back to proper change intervals. A good example is my situation. I live in a very mild climate in Canada. I'm 5 mins from the US border in the Pacific Northwest (couple of hours from Seattle). Yet my owners manual says to change the trans fluid at certain intervals, but 5 mins away an American owner is told they never have to change theirs.
Crazy, isn't it?
Old 12-30-14, 04:09 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
You can get the oil at most toyota dealers and you can probably get the tranny serviced at a toyota dealer as well - they should know how to do it - but I wouldn't have a local garage handle it. They could really screw up the oil level and damage that $10k tranny.
Thanks. I talked to the dealer who sold the car and even after I offered to pay them money, they said they strongly recommended against changing the fluid, saying it was not worth the risk of damaging something (or something like that). Not sure which I should do now... change or not change...
Old 12-30-14, 04:44 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Thanks. I talked to the dealer who sold the car and even after I offered to pay them money, they said they strongly recommended against changing the fluid, saying it was not worth the risk of damaging something (or something like that). Not sure which I should do now... change or not change...
You could do a simple drain and refill and just measure the amount you take out. That would be pretty painless and some people prefer doing something like this once a year to slowly and gradually get the fluid out. You will need a hand pump, a container to properly measure the fluid and you will need to know where the fill plug is (it's on the driver's side of the transmission, if I remember correctly). And you'll need a wrench to get at that bolt because a socket won't fit up there against the exhaust.

I find the problem with the dealers - at least where I am - is that it's a pain to properly get the fluid level correct. It takes a little bit of time to run the car, get it to operating temp, pull the overflow plug, watch it drip out, decide if the drip is the right flow, screw the plug back in, or add more fluid, or both, and then put the car back down...disconnect the scan tool, try not to get the interior of this 70k dollar car greasy and then pull it off the lift. It's a pain.
Old 12-30-14, 08:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Not sure which I should do now... change or not change...
Welcome back to the fold and good luck with your new car!

As to your question, I'm on the side that says unless you are having a problem with the transmission, leave it alone.
Old 12-31-14, 11:17 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Welcome back to the fold and good luck with your new car!

As to your question, I'm on the side that says unless you are having a problem with the transmission, leave it alone.
Thank you! I love this community, glad to be back!

Anyone know about the 07s and the wind noise fix? I have not yet received my car, but my VIN shows as a car that the front 2 windows are not laminated glass and can be loud. Car is out of warranty obviously.

What would a fix cost? Lexus glass is probably absurd, like $1k/window or something, right?
Old 12-31-14, 12:29 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Thank you! I love this community, glad to be back!

Anyone know about the 07s and the wind noise fix? I have not yet received my car, but my VIN shows as a car that the front 2 windows are not laminated glass and can be loud. Car is out of warranty obviously.

What would a fix cost? Lexus glass is probably absurd, like $1k/window or something, right?
Many of the '07 LS460s were retrofitted by Lexus with laminated glass at no cost to the owners. As I understand it, the "no cost" option is no longer available.

Here is an explanation that will help you determine if your car has been retrofitted.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post4137877

Many of the '07 LS460s and LS460Ls had a trim defect that caused wind noise at the front corners of the front door windows. Many owners had success with a DIY repair.

Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 01-12-15, 04:52 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey assuming you have received your vehicle by now, how has it been? Any service you've done to it?

Quick Reply: Best bang-for-the-buck changes to stock LS460?