LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS Rear Badging

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-14, 03:37 AM
dankwiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Rear Badging

Newbie here. Just bought a 14 LWB AWD and want to remove the rear badging. Does anyone know if the big L on the back is held on by adhesive only is or it adhesive with a tab (or 2) that sticks into the body. I don't want to take it off only to find a hole or two behind it for tabs.
Old 12-24-14, 03:47 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I remember there are 2 holes... but the depression will still be there.. how do u plan on dealing with that? Only two options i see are a different emblem or filling it in an repainting the deck lid.
Old 12-24-14, 04:08 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

May I ask why you want to remove it? Just curious.
Old 12-24-14, 06:35 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

I am with greg3852 why?

Dennis
Old 12-24-14, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I am with greg3852 why?

Dennis
Indeed. Curious minds want to know!
Old 12-24-14, 08:38 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

If it's the fad of 2005 then the OP is probably thinking of the De-badging look.
For a short time for about four years there was trend to remove the rear badges to give a car a clean look but what end up happening is that the car ends up with an eyesore of a void that looks odd. Along with the de-badged look came the tinted taillights.
I particularly do not like badging especially when they plaster the technology all over the car and I was even more impressed when Lexus removed the "Lexus badge" on the rear after 2010 but not having any badge makes the car look salvaged.

It is of course far better then the fake AMG badging that owners add to the Mercs and I was deeply disturbed to find out that Mercedes offers a fake AMG trim after market kit.
Old 12-24-14, 08:43 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I can almost understand it on a 3k dollar Hyundai or Honda lowrider, but not on a 90k dollar car
Old 12-24-14, 05:14 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Not a ll of us need the "labels" to impress... the car is beautiful regardless... if you see a BEAUTIFUL woman...is she less beautiful because u dont know her name?

Remember the old adage "RICH ROARS...whilst wealth whispers"

Last edited by Shibumi1; 12-24-14 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 07:13 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Not a ll of us need the "labels" to impress... the car is beautiful regardless... if you see a BEAUTIFUL woman...is she less beautiful because u dont know her name?

Remember the old adage "RICH ROARS...whilst wealth whispers"
I agree to a point. When I go shopping for cloths I try to find as much as possible no logos. It's not surprising that the real Polo for rich people has the label inside the cuff where as the brainwashed public has to advertise for the company and let everyone know he has delusions of grandeur.

But there is a limit. The limit is the extremes of going though the effort. Going though the effort to remove the label for modesty sake is not the reason why this fad is popular. It's popular for a variety of reasons and it's just the opposite of being subtitle but one of trying to falsely lure an observer with the mystery of possibly driving something better then what it really is. In some cases those who didn't get approved for a BMW 550, debagging a base BMW 525 solves the problem. The height of it all is if this person slapped on a bunch of M badges on it. At least its not stolen valor which is illegal but it has many of the same traits.
There is nothing wrong with owning nice things if you have the money even it is as loud as Lambo but there is certainly a difference when you have to play pretend in hopes to get that level of attention.

Last edited by Devh; 12-24-14 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 10:27 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every once in a while I see de-badged cars on the streets. I personally think it's idiotic. The cars look incomplete, it's like removing art from art. The designers went through time and thought to design them. I like respecting their efforts. Besides, it looks better with the badges anyways.
Old 12-24-14, 11:28 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus debadged "Lexus" from the 2010+ LS460s (07-09 had Lexus) so I wouldn't say that it is false modesty. It is just a stylistic choice.

One of the practical advantages of debadging includes easier wash and wax. To each his/her own. That's the beauty of owning a car instead of leasing it.
Old 12-25-14, 05:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Every once in a while I see de-badged cars on the streets. I personally think it's idiotic. The cars look incomplete, it's like removing art from art. The designers went through time and thought to design them. I like respecting their efforts. Besides, it looks better with the badges anyways.
I totally disagree... the designer 1st designs the car.... then corporate tells them where an how to badge it... 90% of most badges are done after the car has already been fully thought out.. if u dont believe then search skunkwerkes pics. You'll see concept cars being tested w/o emblems.. not too mention all the "new" American cars that are really old aussie or euro cars "rebadged for dodge or Chrysler, chevy. etc. ..fyi the Pontiac g6 is really a Vauxhall. ...smh..

Then please explain...the Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon... because theyre ALL THE EXACT SAME TRUCK under the bagding an fascia. All interchangeable parts...

@GxAlan.... Ownership allows us to do what we want to our cars....
why I'll always own my cars...

Last edited by Shibumi1; 12-25-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 12:46 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I don't mind the Lexus badges. But, if a dealer puts their badge on the car, they either remove it properly before I drive off, or they pay me a monthly fee for advertising.
Old 12-26-14, 01:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
I totally disagree... the designer 1st designs the car.... then corporate tells them where an how to badge it... 90% of most badges are done after the car has already been fully thought out.. if u dont believe then search skunkwerkes pics. You'll see concept cars being tested w/o emblems.. not too mention all the "new" American cars that are really old aussie or euro cars "rebadged for dodge or Chrysler, chevy. etc. ..fyi the Pontiac g6 is really a Vauxhall. ...smh..

Then please explain...the Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon... because theyre ALL THE EXACT SAME TRUCK under the bagding an fascia. All interchangeable parts...

@GxAlan.... Ownership allows us to do what we want to our cars....
why I'll always own my cars...
Actually I have re-badged one of my cars. Guilty as charged. I removed the north American front badging and re-placed it with the original import front badge.
If I owned a newer GTO I would rebadge that car to the original import which is the Holden to make it true to the original make. I think the marketing people screw up badging and labels all the time.
The issue I have with the de-badge is that it looks out of place without a badge and stands out like something is wrong with the car which is the complete opposite of what of what debagging is suppose to do. Removing the "Lexus" badge on the rear is a very salient and subtitle improvement that most people wouldn't notice and if a car has an ugly badge and removing it would be a big improvement I would be all for it but removing most basic badging only makes the car look like the badge was stolen and you have to feel sorry for the owner or that it declasses the car further with all of the tacky accoutrements.

Last edited by Devh; 12-26-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 06:01 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i usually de-badge everything, but i couldn't go all the way on this one. so i removed everything except the lexus symbol...

Last edited by krypto89; 12-26-14 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: LS Rear Badging