LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help with my dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 06:36 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Help with my dash

Now that the cold weather is here, I am finding more and more issues. Besides a clunk in the rear that I have to have looked at, I have the dreaded dash popping. I have read to use felt and jam it between the window.

Does anyone recommend any specific stuff? I plan on hitting the fabric store and seeing what I can find.

Also it seems like the headliner is popping too? Haven't heard of that. Any ideas. I plan on bringing it to the dealer after the holidays for the rear clunk, but will they fix any of this under platinum warranty? Or perhaps they will help with the costs? I'm really disappointed as my Sienna minivan was quieter than this thing.

Last edited by greg3852; 12-20-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 07:28 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I haven't had any dash noise, but that may just be because I can't hear it over the wind noise and tire noise that I get. These aren't exactly quiet cars, I'm finding. But I can live with that because they are pretty reliable, look great, and go like hell.

I test drove a new Taurus and new Chrysler 300 before I bought the LS, and I'll tell you those cars both were tomb quiet. Outstanding. You heard nothing. Nothing. The world could have been blowing up outside and you wouldn't hear an ounce of it. Of course both cars were absolute dogs...no power...no fun...a total bore to drive, but they had that high end quietness to them. Manufacturers are trying to go the extra mile with sound proofing because it represents quality, but I imagine the Chrysler will be falling apart in two years.
Old 12-20-14, 10:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I haven't had any dash noise, but that may just be because I can't hear it over the wind noise and tire noise that I get. These aren't exactly quiet cars, I'm finding. But I can live with that because they are pretty reliable, look great, and go like hell.

I test drove a new Taurus and new Chrysler 300 before I bought the LS, and I'll tell you those cars both were tomb quiet. Outstanding. You heard nothing. Nothing. The world could have been blowing up outside and you wouldn't hear an ounce of it. Of course both cars were absolute dogs...no power...no fun...a total bore to drive, but they had that high end quietness to them. Manufacturers are trying to go the extra mile with sound proofing because it represents quality, but I imagine the Chrysler will be falling apart in two years.
About every new car I have test drove or one that is brand spanking new will have that tomb like quietness. I think part of it is being hearing selective just as we were with the LS460 when one day we noticed that faint ticking sounds from the direct injection.
When cars are new the body integrity will be true but given enough miles in the range of 10-20k that integrity of the interior components and body starts falling apart. I have seen this with the big three American makes then with others.
Old 12-20-14, 08:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I'm gonna try the felt thing in the am on the dash. Still not sure where to put it in the headliner. I have to get rid of the dash noise before I can even begin to isolate the headliner.

As annoying as all these things are, I considered getting rid of this car today. Stupid little things like this I did not expect to have to deal with from Lexus. I am rather disappointed.

On the other hand, I drove it tonight and I am in love with the ride. Plus all these stupid little issues so far I have been able to fix for very very short money. Everything I've fixed has been super simple as well. So I guess I'll just shut up and deal with the little issues instead of having big ones.
Old 12-21-14, 10:57 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I know my 600 had a TSB for a dash rattle. There was also a TSB for the headliner..almost as if it makes noises as you turn the car on a hill and the frame torques..I had the dash fixed..involved removal of dash with new heavier duty clips..dash is as solid as a brick wall now..no noises. The roof noise isn't really noticed unless I am coming out of a driveway on a hill causing the frame to torque a little..minor details. I drove a brand new Taurus recently and my nearly 7 year old 600 was 10x quieter even with being on 22s lol
Old 12-21-14, 06:43 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I found the TSB for the dash but I didn't think they did them outside of factory warranty?

I did the felt in the dash and it took care of 100% of the dash rattle. As far as the headliner that is a perfect description. It feels like torque causes it when turning. Its weird.

I am also in the position of having a suspension rattle in the right rear. I did find a TSB on that. The original owner complained about it since like 11k miles and they never found the noise. Replaced the rear shock but the noise was still there.

Last edited by greg3852; 12-22-14 at 06:24 AM.