LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The LS460 L test drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 10:38 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default The LS460 L test drive

Ok guys, so I took an extended lunch yesterday to go look at a 460L, 07 w/ 91k on the dash.
I stated in the previous post that the dealer was 50 minutes away. Upon mapping it out, it was only 30 minutes.
Upon arriving at the dealership, I was almost immediately discouraged because it was a tier worse, visually, than the prototypical "Mom and Pop" dealership. Looks like it was once an old gas station with the large garage attached on the side. The photos apparently had the car at another location where the "place where the transactions take place", not a dealership, which was more visually appealing. The gentlemen did tell me however that they usually don't deal with higher end vehicles, but the owner thought it was a really nice car.
The vehicle:
I couldn't believe how well the body had been cared for. The first thing I did was go to the front and closely observe the headlights and grille for rock chips. There were hardly any what so ever, very smooth, clear and well kept. The body (metallic) was nearly scratch/swirl free. It was almost strange how clean it was.
Upon opening the drivers side door: silence. No creeks nor any difficulty/stiffness in the door. per Devh's feedback, I checked the door seals and all were quite soft. I didn't pay attention before, but I didn't notice that the rubber in the door insulation was adorn with that felt material which I assume aids in that Lexus "thud" I've read/heard about and wind noise. Very nice touch. A small bit of wear on the steering wheel on the left but nothing dramatic. Passenger seat had light scratches in it. I also noticed a long scratch in the wood where the shifter/cup holder is. Not a surface scratch though, but a deep one, almost like the type of crack that occurs in your windshield. Its not so much surface, but within the glass, in this case within the clear coat of the area. Very few nicks though. The previous owner had headrest TV's installed, but ever after the car was on, I couldn't get them to power on. I sat in the back seat and could not believe the amount of space that car has in the rear, even with the passenger/drivers seats in the front positioned with ample room. Over all, i'd give the intrior a 9/10.
The drive:
Quiet. Powerful. Smooth. Comfortable.
As someone did mention though, the wind noise was still present, but nothing absurd. Road noise as well, but I surmise that would be remedied by a new set of Michelins.
ML stereo of course was excellent.
A side note:
I had mentioned in the previous post that I felt the car was more crammed than I anticipated. It wasn't so much the lateral space, as it was the height. Im only 5-10, but upon sitting up in the seat, my head hit the overhead area where the visor resides. But this time around, I spent a lot of time getting familiar with the car, in regards to feel, the location of buttons and what certain things do. In doing that, I played with the buttons on the side of the drivers seat and experienced just how much the seat can be lowered. For me, it completely altered the over all feel of the car and I instantly felt less cramped, and more relaxed. I could easily see how someone could fall asleep on a long road trip.
I drove it for about 15 minutes.
The only thing I could complain about was there was a very minute jiggle/bounce coming from the rear. Very subtle though. From reading and exploring this forum, I figured it was a strut issue.
Upon returning from the drive, I told the Terry (the salesman) about the issue in the rear, and he then told me that indeed the owners wife who drives the car from time to time said she thinks the same thing. But overall, its a great car.
I must say that although I do like the LS, the lwb (the extra 6") visually makes a big difference.
What a car.
So, they have had it since Spet and were originally asking 24.5. The price as of yesterday was 21.9.
As it stands, it either needs a new strut (or possibly tightened), and whatever else the Lexus dealership would find upon inspection. Of course, that would greatly effect what I think I would ask for it regarding a purchase price.
Ok guys.... HIT ME!
Old 12-17-14, 11:23 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my personal opinion sounds like an excellent example of a higher mileage car and the price is VERY right. i have the sound in the back of my car with 1/3 the miles and i don't think its the struts because they were JUST replaced.

My OCD self would be a little disappointed in the scratch on the wood, but should see how much to repair, and i'm sure that the DVD screens can be an easy fix from a stereo shop nearby...

you didn't mention whether this car had Air Suspension, which package, or whether there was radar cruise?
Old 12-17-14, 11:26 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Take it to a Lexus dealer ($100-$120) for a pre-purchase inspection. Tell them about the things you noticed. If the car checks out OK (aside from the one or two issues you detected) get a price on repairs and go for it!
Old 12-17-14, 11:41 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Take it to a Lexus dealer ($100-$120) for a pre-purchase inspection. Tell them about the things you noticed. If the car checks out OK (aside from the one or two issues you detected) get a price on repairs and go for it!
This way you can also get the service history printed off for you to see how it was taken care of...

we did this with my brother, simply drove the lexus from a non-lexus dealership to the local lexus dealer, and asked if we could get the service history on it. the ran the vin and handed us the print-out!

(we didn't pay anything, but then again no inspection took place)
Old 12-17-14, 12:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteybabes
my personal opinion sounds like an excellent example of a higher mileage car and the price is VERY right. i have the sound in the back of my car with 1/3 the miles and i don't think its the struts because they were JUST replaced.

My OCD self would be a little disappointed in the scratch on the wood, but should see how much to repair, and i'm sure that the DVD screens can be an easy fix from a stereo shop nearby...

you didn't mention whether this car had Air Suspension, which package, or whether there was radar cruise?
HAHAHA!!!
Im rather OCD myself. I must have taken a good five minutes just looking at the scratch thinking..."Is there a way I can get this out? I wonder how this happened? They must have dropped something that had some weight to it here...how'd this happen *while im running my finger across the surface*. ...wonder how much this would cost to get fixed??". Im no different my friend.
Im curious as to what that sound would be...perhaps Lexus would be able to identify the issue. The funny thing is, is that the dealership that would be inspecting it, is the dealership it was purchased from and performed all maintenance. I was thinking there was an easy fix for the screens as well...
Lastly, how would I go about figuring out if the car had air suspension/package? The car did not have radar cruise though, as the tab on the right side of the steering wheel was blank.
Opinions:
A few people have stated that they would opt against the air suspension and AWD due to the fact that would increase more issues; more moving parts. This car is already high mileage, so if it did have air suspension, that may be enough to scare me away. As far as I understand, that can be a very costly repair. But it was RWD.
Old 12-17-14, 12:04 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Thanks so much for the feedback.
I just told Petey that I would without a question take it in for a Lexus inspection, and ironically the dealership that would be performing the inspection, sold the vehicle when it was brand new and performed all of the maint. on the car.
Old 12-17-14, 12:17 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Lastly, how would I go about figuring out if the car had air suspension/package? The car did not have radar cruise though, as the tab on the right side of the steering wheel was blank.
Opinions:
A few people have stated that they would opt against the air suspension and AWD due to the fact that would increase more issues; more moving parts. This car is already high mileage, so if it did have air suspension, that may be enough to scare me away. As far as I understand, that can be a very costly repair. But it was RWD.
Check for the "Height High" button in the center console, and the rocker switch for the ride comfort to figure out if the car has air suspension.

Did the rear seats recline? did they have heated and cooled seats? rear shades? these details will help us.

and i won't be deterred by the RWD it is fantastic, and i have gone through a horrible winter without getting stuck...AWD can give a false sense of confidence causing some owners to push too hard and thus losing control (my brother did this) As for Air suspension, it is the best riding option, and should be good with decent maintenance.
Old 12-17-14, 12:33 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Check for the "Height High" button in the center console, and the rocker switch for the ride comfort to figure out if the car has air suspension.

Did the rear seats recline? did they have heated and cooled seats? rear shades? these details will help us.

and i won't be deterred by the RWD it is fantastic, and i have gone through a horrible winter without getting stuck...AWD can give a false sense of confidence causing some owners to push too hard and thus losing control (my brother did this) As for Air suspension, it is the best riding option, and should be good with decent maintenance.
Based off of memory, which should serve to be pretty accurate, as I spent quite a bit of time sitting and meandering throughout the car yesterday, there wasn't a "Height High" button. The only rocker switch I did see said "Power" and "snow" I believe.

The rear seats did recline as they had the two ***** for heat/cool as well. There was also a rear window shade that could be controlled from the rear seat as well. But I didn't notice any shades on the rear windows though. Perhaps that's the luxury package...??

I didn't mind the power of the RWD at all. I've just never driven RWD in the winter, but would have an older FWD Honda to drive in bad weather. If its all together that horrible out, I will either ride in the wifes Pilot or stay my butt at home! I also think its a good combination of driving smart and being aware/familiar with your car and its capabilities.
I've heard that the air is quite the difference regarding ride comfort. I'll have to try one soon.
Thank a bunch once again! Great, great help!
Oh, quickly, should I be worried about nav screen issues?

Last edited by CRowe14; 12-17-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 12:42 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

For seats, I am 6' and I don't come close to the ceiling. I do like my seat low and have it pushed all the way down. Try that.

The price comes straight from KBB.com. When I plugged in the numbers, very good condition is $24,100. Fair condition condition is $21,666. I based it with 92K miles. I'd offer $19K and settle on $20K. For sure set up an appointment to take it in to a Lexus Dealer for the check up. Well worth the money. Also be sure you've reviewed the car by Vin on the Lexus Drivers site. Great history records.

As long as you understand it's an 8 year old car, with 8 years worth of driving, and you're getting it for a third of the original price, then the things you do to it post sale will just make it that much better.

Good luck with it!
Old 12-17-14, 01:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R Z
For seats, I am 6' and I don't come close to the ceiling. I do like my seat low and have it pushed all the way down. Try that.

The price comes straight from KBB.com. When I plugged in the numbers, very good condition is $24,100. Fair condition condition is $21,666. I based it with 92K miles. I'd offer $19K and settle on $20K. For sure set up an appointment to take it in to a Lexus Dealer for the check up. Well worth the money. Also be sure you've reviewed the car by Vin on the Lexus Drivers site. Great history records.

As long as you understand it's an 8 year old car, with 8 years worth of driving, and you're getting it for a third of the original price, then the things you do to it post sale will just make it that much better.

Good luck with it!
R Z, thank you as always for your time and response.
I did in fact drop the seat lower and it made a world of difference for me. I just didn't notice that the first time around. With the first car, the salesman stayed with me the entire time. I don't really like that. I like to just have privacy with the car as if I have questions, I'll come and get you. He did the "hovering salesman thing" and came on the test drive, so I didn't look around as much as I did yesterday. Yesterday is when I found the toggle button that enables you to lower the seat position.
Ironic because I had 20k in my head before even going to kbb.
Wow..he handed me papers yesterday and im looking through them now and there is a print out he gave me from NADAguides.com. It says the following:
ML Audio
Executive Seating Pckg
Nav System

Clean retail: $28,850

Now KBB, when I plugged in the info, it says $29,330; 27k low, 31.5 high
Old 12-17-14, 01:14 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

R Z, thank you as always for your time and response.
I did in fact drop the seat lower and it made a world of difference for me. I just didn't notice that the first time around. With the first car, the salesman stayed with me the entire time. I don't really like that. I like to just have privacy with the car as if I have questions, I'll come and get you. He did the "hovering salesman thing" and came on the test drive, so I didn't look around as much as I did yesterday. Yesterday is when I found the toggle button that enables you to lower the seat position.
Ironic because I had 20k in my head before even going to kbb.
Wow..he handed me papers yesterday and im looking through them now and there is a print out he gave me from NADAguides.com. It says the following:
ML Audio
Executive Seating Pckg
Nav System

Clean retail: $28,850

Now KBB, when I plugged in the info, it says $29,330; 27k low, 31.5 high
Sounds like he loaded the car out for that quote, but it doesn't have the executive class seating packages unless it looks like these pictures of my car...
Attached Thumbnails The LS460 L test drive-225921.jpg   The LS460 L test drive-225914.jpg  

Last edited by peteybabes; 12-17-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 01:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like he loaded the car out for that quote, but it doesn't have the executive class seating packages unless it looks like this picture of my car...
I wish I could squeeze my eyes ever so tightly and make a wish and then presto-change! The rear would appear that way, but indeed it did not. It appears I did the same thing when I pulled up the quotes. My mistake guys. It was much more plain. Just the ***** for heat/cool and a toggle switch to control the rear sun shade. The seats did lean back and recline, but the "lay-z-boy' portion did not come out in the lower leg area. The head rest were also adjustable via a switch as well. One on the door and one on the center console in the rear.
Old 12-17-14, 01:35 PM
R Z
Pole Position

I'd still only pay $20K.
Old 12-17-14, 01:50 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R Z
I'd still only pay $20K.
If nothing else is wrong I think that's a good number, but i'd want $20k out the door...
You think that's too pressing?
Old 12-17-14, 02:09 PM
R Z
Pole Position

If nothing else is wrong I think that's a good number, but i'd want $20k out the door...
You think that's too pressing?
As long as you can walk away from the deal, then it's not too pressing. Negotiation is the ability to stand your ground with a fair offer, but be willing to walk away if you don't feel it's in your best interest. When you fall in love, then you're in trouble. Remember, there's always another deal right around the corner.

Once when buying a 74 Toyota Celica GT, I reached an impasse with the dealer. He refused to go another penny and so did I. I felt like my offer was fair so I thanked him and walked out the door. I was getting in my car, when he ran out and shook my hand.

Offer $19K. Take the deal at $20K bottom line (Just my 2 cents worth).

Quick Reply: The LS460 L test drive