LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 06:56 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish I had more info for you guys but mine is all wired under the dash.
Old 02-22-15, 07:10 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default trimming around the LED light for a better fit ??

see on my newly arrived LED mirror covers that the narrowest part of the LED could be trimmed for a better fitting...anyone done this??...seems that the way is to shorten the part where the mounting screw goes in ??..Ideas ??
Arvid
Old 02-22-15, 08:26 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
see on my newly arrived LED mirror covers that the narrowest part of the LED could be trimmed for a better fitting...anyone done this??...seems that the way is to shorten the part where the mounting screw goes in ??..Ideas ??
Arvid
Mine were like this as well. If you haven't painted them I'd go ahead and dremel them a little. If they are painted I would leave them as the paint might get ruined. There's a tiny gap, but shouldn't affect anything. You could also clear silicone from the inside.

One side note when installing your covers. Leave the wire harness and led plugs inside the mirror housing. I'm not too sure the life of the bulbs, and it'll be a lot easier taking off just the door mirror instead of the whole door panel in case they need to be replaced. The wires are a little long, but you can zip tie them together so there not in the way of the mirror motor. (Hope this makes sense, lol)

My driver side I put the plug part in the door, and praying that one doesn't go out.
Old 02-22-15, 08:36 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Suggestion > there are positive (+) turn signal wires under the driver's side door sill plate that you can tap into for both turn signals. Use a wire toner / tracer to identify the correct wire. Example: Flip on left turn signal and place wire toner on each wire until you touch the one that makes beep, beep, sound as the turn signal light flashes. Then splice into that wire with positive wire from driver's side (left) LED turn signal mirror. It's much easier than running through firewall, etc.
Old 02-22-15, 08:49 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
Suggestion > there are positive (+) turn signal wires under the driver's side door sill plate that you can tap into for both turn signals. Use a wire toner / tracer to identify the correct wire. Example: Flip on left turn signal and place wire toner on each wire until you touch the one that makes beep, beep, sound as the turn signal light flashes. Then splice into that wire with positive wire from driver's side (left) LED turn signal mirror. It's much easier than running through firewall, etc.
Page 2 has the turn signal wire locations, it's the parking light I can't figure out. There's a couple of suggestions on the previous page, but I think I'm going to try and tap into them straight from the headlight when switching bulbs or at least chase the wires back
Old 02-22-15, 01:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Pretty sure the park light wires are also in the bundle of wires under the door sill plate. Same method: turn on park lights and use toner to find wire conducting current.
Old 02-22-15, 06:13 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

All of that wiring has a constant 6v. They'll stay on when the car is off. You have to figure out how to remove the 6v. Maybe a resistor...
Old 02-24-15, 05:06 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

This looks a little bit easier to install than the LS430's LED side mirrors. I thought the LS460 had them from the factory? I drove one and it had turn signal mirrors.
Old 02-24-15, 07:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
This looks a little bit easier to install than the LS430's LED side mirrors. I thought the LS460 had them from the factory? I drove one and it had turn signal mirrors.
LS' came with them after M.Y. 2012
Old 02-24-15, 08:03 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Lexus added the turn signals on 2010 plus.
Old 02-24-15, 12:46 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Lexus added the turn signals on 2010 plus.
Yup, +1 on that
Old 02-24-15, 02:48 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

They did add the LED mirrors but the difference is that these aftermarket ones have a DTRL built into it and the OEM ones just signaled. Wiring the signal is easy. It's wiring in the DTRL to turn only when the park lights are on is the difficult part.
Old 02-24-15, 06:30 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
they did add the led mirrors but the difference is that these aftermarket ones have a dtrl built into it and the oem ones just signaled. Wiring the signal is easy. It's wiring in the dtrl to turn only when the park lights are on is the difficult part.
x infinity ^^^^^^^
Old 02-26-15, 02:43 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Found out my dude didn't add a resistor but a diode. He said any reputable stereo shop could actually figure this one out.
Old 03-22-15, 09:43 PM
efxonly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Roadfrog, Dirteeboy, Avrid, or any others that have installed these mirror covers, did you ever figure out how to get the DRL to work properly? Or do you prefer the lights working with the turn signals only and won't be doing the DRL connection?

Thanks

Quick Reply: LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics