LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car won't start - Please HELP!!!

Old 12-14-14, 08:31 PM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Car won't start - Please HELP!!!

2008 LS460...
This is what happened...

After not driving the car for 3 cold days, the battery seemed dead...so i jump started the car with another car...and the car started, but started showing a bunch of warning lights...
It says, check vsc, brake malfunction, check brakes, check abs...

So i ignored all the warning lights and decided to drive the car on the highway for 30 minutes to fully recharge the battery...

After driving for 30 minutes with all the warning lights on, i parked the car and turned it off.

Then i tried to restart it again after 5 minutes...and it won't start...

Could it be that it didnt charge the battery because of all the warning lights were on?
Is the battery bad?

The battery is dated February 2012...and it says 84 months warranty...so will i get a free battery?

After all this, i disconnected the negative battery cable for 24 hrs hoping to reset it.

I jumped started car again...but it didn't reset, still got all warning lights...

Now turned the car off...and it's dead again...

So what do you guys think is wrong???

What is the cheapest solution...will Lexus give me a free battery?
Will they charge me $100/hr labor to install battery?
What could be wrong???

Please HELP!!!
Old 12-14-14, 08:40 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure what could be causing this issue but you can get a new gold series battery from autozone for ~$100. Before swapping the battery, they should be able to test your current battery to ensure that it is the root cause.
Old 12-15-14, 12:40 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

They will only prorate your battery and it might be cheaper to get a non Lexus new battery from an auto parts store. Most auto parts stores will do the install for free but you are better off doing it yourself.
Everyone should know the basics battery replacement which is very easy. Based on your symptoms I would also do a alternator load test.
Old 12-15-14, 03:48 AM
andy350
Intermediate

ok...once an auto parts store installs the battery, will my warning lights go away or do i still have to make a trip to Lexus to get the warning lights reset
Old 12-15-14, 05:02 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warning lights were caused by your low battery condition. It is possible that some of them will go away when you get a properly charged battery installed in the car.

Frequently, VSC warning lights (when there is no actual problem) can be "fixed" by turning the steering wheel to left full lock, and then to right full lock and finally back to center when the engine is running.

Lexus does strange things (IMHO) with warning lights. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law have an 01 LS430 and an 02 RX300 respectively, and if any check engine light is thrown (say for a bad O2 sensor for example), the VSC and ABS lights also light up. Fix the problem, clear the CE light code and the other lights go out.

Only way to know is to try. I'd do what others suggest with the battery - take it to AutoZone / Advanced Auto Parts or whatever chain you have locally. I specifically note chain because if you have trouble with the battery away from home, the same chain will honor any warranty no matter where you bought the battery.

Be prepared to leave the battery with the store - the battery needs to be load-tested to make sure it is truly defective, and you can't load test a dead battery. So they'll need to charge it for at least an hour, and maybe longer.
Old 12-15-14, 11:49 AM
andy350
Intermediate

I decided to goto Lexus since I had warranty left on the battery.
They prorated it 50%.
They installed the battery and reset the warning lights and also washed the car...all for $135.
Happy Satisfied Lexus Customer!!!!!
Old 12-15-14, 12:14 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andy350
I decided to goto Lexus since I had warranty left on the battery.
They prorated it 50%.
They installed the battery and reset the warning lights and also washed the car...all for $135.
Happy Satisfied Lexus Customer!!!!!
$135 for what....
You said it had warranty on it why you pay?
I never paid a cent getting things fixed under warranty at lexus dealer - including battery as well.
Old 12-15-14, 01:32 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
$135 for what....
You said it had warranty on it why you pay?
I never paid a cent getting things fixed under warranty at lexus dealer - including battery as well.
I believe the OP has a warranty on the Battery not the car. If he had a bumper to bumper factory warranty it may have covered the entire cost of the Battery.
On the whole though I think the OP broke even. You could get a new battery for $110 and use the rest for a car wash. The trouble codes would have been reset on their own.
Old 12-15-14, 01:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I think the batteries have their own separate warranty, and I also think the warranty can vary by manufacturer and/or seller. For example, some batteries warranted for x number of months may only get free replacement for the first 12, 24 or 36 months, and then prorated after that.

On my other car I could tell the battery was losing power and sure enough it did not do well on a load test. It was one month shy of running out of warranty and Interstate replaced it for free.
Old 12-15-14, 01:47 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Help cure me of my OCD. My 2010 has the original battery. I realize it will crap out within the next year likely. For the life of me, I can't explain why my instinct is to replace it when it is dead with the OEM battery. I want even the friggin battery to look original. To me ... it looks, I don't know ... more valuable. Meaning, the more original it is, the less it looks messed with and the more valuable it is. Even explaining that sounds strange.

I could use a good therapist. Does anyone have a suggestion for me, to cure me of such ridiculousness?
Old 12-15-14, 02:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I could use a good therapist. Does anyone have a suggestion for me, to cure me of such ridiculousness?
Sorry to tell you but a therapist will not help and there is no known cure. But do not fret, you are not alone.......you are really not alone!
Old 12-15-14, 02:44 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Help cure me of my OCD. My 2010 has the original battery. I realize it will crap out within the next year likely. For the life of me, I can't explain why my instinct is to replace it when it is dead with the OEM battery. I want even the friggin battery to look original. To me ... it looks, I don't know ... more valuable. Meaning, the more original it is, the less it looks messed with and the more valuable it is. Even explaining that sounds strange.

If Lexus gave us a Panasonic battery I would have been all over it but I don't believe the factory battery is a Panasonic and that's probably why it really doesn't matter, and you could probably get a better battery then the factory for less. If it was a Panasonic battery that is imported with some Lexus and Toyota vehicles from Japan we would be talking about how long it lasts.
Old 12-15-14, 03:59 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the OEM Lexus is an Interstate battery ? Someone chime in please to confirm or correct me
Old 12-15-14, 04:54 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Putt
I believe the OEM Lexus is an Interstate battery ? Someone chime in please to confirm or correct me
That is what my research led me to believe but it's hearsay. I know for a fact that it's not a Panasonic and I wonder if the domestically sold Japanese LS460s got the better battery.
Old 12-15-14, 05:31 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll say that from my experience working for Toyota, I never heard of them holding off better parts for Japan domestic vehicles. Differences were a matter of logistics and localization. They sold more vehicles in the U.S. than anywhere else, I got the feeling they knew the U.S. was their bread and butter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't start - Please HELP!!!