LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A bit dissapointed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 05:41 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default A bit dissapointed...

So earlier this evening, I went and test drove an 07 with 119500, asking $19.7, SWB at a Lexus dealership.
Now, let me preface this thread by saying this:
The mileage is a bit too high for me, but on line the car seemed to be in good shape. Since the location was literally 5 minutes away, I figured why not. Upon experiencing the car up close, I felt a bit let down. Below is my experience.

I did a through, slow walk around of the vehicle. A decent amount of surface/soft scratches on the vehicle, and a few scratches a bit deeper, but nothing to make one say "wow that's bad". When observing the front, there were quite a great amount of rock chips. It looked as if someone painted over the chipped areas, because they were the same color as the body, but the paint that had been removed via the rock leaving the voided space, was still there. Wasn't too appealing. Also, the head lights were begining to form a layer of oxidation, along with small chips in the lens's. So, once I was provided the keys, i opened the drivers door and it border line made me jump because the resistance in opening the door combined with the loud creek/grind noise was surprising. I know all it would need is a bit of graphite, but still surprised me.
So the interior was in pretty good condition. The wood on the interior was the cherry finish, but the shifter **** was more of a lighter brownish color-not an exact match. A bit bothersome but not a deal breaker. I started the car and it just sounded loud, but then got more quiet within about 30 seconds.I then closed the door and expected to hear that tomb/coffin silence everyone speaks of, but the engine was still relatively audible.Upon moving, the brakes were very granny, but warmed up after a bit. While driving I could hear wind noise, evident on drivers window, but it was quiet. I just expected it to be very quiet, which it wasn't. The acceleration was great. Loved that. It's also a bit more close quarters than I thought it would be. Not that I don't like it, but I always had the idea that there was very large. But on the contrary, it is a big car, however it's intimate, the way the drivers area kind of wraps around you. FYI: I'm not tall, 5-10, but broad. My right elbow rested on the center storage compartment pretty much by default.
Ride was nice. Ride over a bump and it felt pretty hard/stiff.
I like the car, but it didn't wow me. Now let me also say that I clearly understand how diffrent cars, though the same model, regarding the difference in how they drive, can be night and day. I also realize it's been cold here in the Chicagoland area and the cars been sitting I'm sure, along with tires, and whatever else can effect the ride. So I plan on driving quite a few more to have comparables.
The guy helping said he could try to do a few things regarding the car to make it more attractive, which was a nice incentive, but I'm in no rush.
There's an L near me with 90k for 21.9 that I'd like to look at and drive.

So that's my experience. Any feedback, input, advice anyone has to offer?
I am very new to this. I've been reading about these vehicles for a while now, but I'm just now begging to get out there and physically see/touch/drive them. So this will prove to be an experience within itself.
Thank you all kindly in advance.
Happy holidays!
Old 12-13-14, 06:03 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the paint on a Lexus isn't great. It's pretty common to see paint chips on the nose because the paint is a bit soft. The wind noise is a common problem with these cars and overall I'm not all that pleased with the noise level of the car. I can hear a lot of tire noise, wind noise, but I don't hear a lot of engine noise.

I'm surprised the doors sounded like that for you - the closing sound of the doors on these cars is excellent. Lexus engineers spent 6 months developing the "thunk" of the doors closing and I must say it's outstanding.

The brakes, I find to be touchy, but that is probably due to the factory pads...after markets provide a better feel from what I've read.

Personally I find the interior to be outstanding in size and comfort. The electronics on these cars are pretty reliable - you may not find that on other brands - and the quality of the interior materials are outstanding.

I would consider the driving experience to be pretty decent...maybe not BMW level in terms of smoothness and power, impressive nonetheless. The acceleration of the vehicle is very good and for a vehicle this size it handles very good. The suspension is a bit harsh, but I'd rather that than to have a floaty ride.

The thing that stood out to me about these vehicles were the way they held up, both mechanically and aesthetically. I've never received as many compliments about the way a car looks as I have had with this car. From the side (in my opinion), you won't find a vehicle that looks better...the back too. And the thing just does what it's supposed to do everyday. Drive.
Old 12-13-14, 06:30 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I can tell you from experience that the paint on a Lexus isn't great. It's pretty common to see paint chips on the nose because the paint is a bit soft. The wind noise is a common problem with these cars and overall I'm not all that pleased with the noise level of the car. I can hear a lot of tire noise, wind noise, but I don't hear a lot of engine noise.

I'm surprised the doors sounded like that for you - the closing sound of the doors on these cars is excellent. Lexus engineers spent 6 months developing the "thunk" of the doors closing and I must say it's outstanding.

The brakes, I find to be touchy, but that is probably due to the factory pads...after markets provide a better feel from what I've read.

Personally I find the interior to be outstanding in size and comfort. The electronics on these cars are pretty reliable - you may not find that on other brands - and the quality of the interior materials are outstanding.

I would consider the driving experience to be pretty decent...maybe not BMW level in terms of smoothness and power, impressive nonetheless. The acceleration of the vehicle is very good and for a vehicle this size it handles very good. The suspension is a bit harsh, but I'd rather that than to have a floaty ride.

The thing that stood out to me about these vehicles were the way they held up, both mechanically and aesthetically. I've never received as many compliments about the way a car looks as I have had with this car. From the side (in my opinion), you won't find a vehicle that looks better...the back too. And the thing just does what it's supposed to do everyday. Drive.
Double, thanks ever so much for a very quick but detailed responce.
Perhaps I should readress the interior statements, as I didn't mean to suggest that its small by any standard. I think I should have said, or more so meant to say, that though it is a large vehicle, it does not leave you feeling like your swimming in this large space, having to reach for everything. It's large but cozy. Very intimate.
The doors closed great, it was just the opening of them. Incredibly creeky, as if they've never been greased.
I wasn't aware of that fact regarding the front/fascia paint. I'm not expecting a flawless front end, as the car is used. Perhaps just fewer.
The sound of the engine wasn't anywhere near harsh, but I could hear it, and more so during acceleration. Wind noise was a bit too evident for what i thought it would be, but not overly irking or horrible. But keep in mind, my daily driver is a 2000 Honda Accord with 180k. And if I may say so, though it drives NOTHING LIKE AN LS, getting back into my car, I didn't feel too badly. The car still runs great and still feels pretty darn good.
I rememeber test driving a GS430 a few months ago and fell in love instantly! But the body needed to much work. So I love the ride of Lexus. Funny bc I love the cushion, soft, smooth feeling while driving.
Aesthetically, I think the only car that compares would be Mercedes. Visually, they are works of art in*my opinion. But as you stated, reliability and longevity account for much, much more than a few things that another luxury brand "may" posses. And while owning this Honda, I could not agree more with you. There's not better feeling than knowing that when you get in and turn the key, you won't get a Christmas tree on the dash and the car will do what it was designed to do. To echo your sentiment: drive.

Last edited by CRowe14; 12-13-14 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 06:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Oxidation on the headlights is a good indication that the car may not have been garaged kept for most of it's life. I have restored quiet a few headlights on other cars and in just about every case the severity of the hazing is due to the UV exposure. Garaged kept cars were almost non existent. The creaking of the doors is also a good sign that the car has seen the elements. What I generally do is also check the rubber seals around the doors for the amount of hardening.
I have driven some ok examples and a few bad examples of this car. My base line was a car that had only 12k miles on her but the dealer was asking too much.
The worst of the cars that I test drove was one that only had 44k and was abused. The center console scratch and the condition of the rear seats leather wrinkling was a dead give away. The car also drove terrible as I suspected. I told the dealer that I was not interested but they insisted that I stay to kept me waiting for no reason just to **** me off so as I was leaving they told me that my trade in BMW was only worth five thousand dollars to spite me.

Some cars are just ripe for abuse. The way you slam the door, smoking, eating in the car and just generally disrespect for nice things can make all the difference.

Last edited by Devh; 12-14-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 06:59 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rock chips are common the loud startup noise is probably because it stat for awhile which what mines does if I haven't used it in a week or so. overall it is what is with the high mileage. I still think its night and day to the 430 as you can tell the direction lexus is going with there flagship.. keep searching for a better one.
Old 12-13-14, 07:19 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

There is a known issue with door hinges on many '07s, and I wonder if this may be a factor. Interestingly, the main symptom is difficulty opening the doors.

Having said all this, your description reminds me too much of the recent experiences I've had shopping for a used car. Yes, one can't expect them to be like new (especially with this kind of mileage), but many dealers overplay this hand and fail to address/fix things - some arguably basic - that could enhance the appeal of a car at a reasonable cost. Sad part is I've seen this even with cars a couple years old and with 20k miles. It blows my mind!

Let us know how things go with the L!
Old 12-13-14, 07:31 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Sounds to me like a car you want to pass on. If you don't love it, don't buy it. I won't get better.

My 08 has the rock chips on the hood filled in. Just a few, but they are covered. Doesn't bother me. Not the quietest of my four Lexus cars. There's a fix for the little trim pieces on the corner of the front windows. I'm considering to attempt the fix.

Also, keep in mind, it's an 8 year old car. Yes, some are kept better than others. But they all have been used.

When you see the right one you will know.
Old 12-13-14, 07:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
There is a known issue with door hinges on many '07s, and I wonder if this may be a factor. Interestingly, the main symptom is difficulty opening the doors.

Having said all this, your description reminds me too much of the recent experiences I've had shopping for a used car. Yes, one can't expect them to be like new (especially with this kind of mileage), but many dealers overplay this hand and fail to address/fix things - some arguably basic - that could enhance the appeal of a car at a reasonable cost. Sad part is I've seen this even with cars a couple years old and with 20k miles. It blows my mind!

Let us know how things go with the L!
Not unheard of. I have seen and test dove many low millage abused cars and it made me wonder what the owner was like and the amount of effort it has taken to ruin it in a short period of time.
Old 12-13-14, 07:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Double, thanks ever so much for a very quick but detailed responce.
Perhaps I should readress the interior statements, as I didn't mean to suggest that its small by any standard. I think I should have said, or more so meant to say, that though it is a large vehicle, it does not leave you feeling like your swimming in this large space, having to reach for everything. It's large but cozy. Very intimate.
The doors closed great, it was just the opening of them. Incredibly creeky, as if they've never been greased.
I wasn't aware of that fact regarding the front/fascia paint. I'm not expecting a flawless front end, as the car is used. Perhaps just fewer.
The sound of the engine wasn't anywhere near harsh, but I could hear it, and more so during acceleration. Wind noise was a bit too evident for what i thought it would be, but not overly irking or horrible. But keep in mind, my daily driver is a 2000 Honda Accord with 180k. And if I may say so, though it drives NOTHING LIKE AN LS, getting back into my car, I didn't feel too badly. The car still runs great and still feels pretty darn good.
I rememeber test driving a GS430 a few months ago and fell in love instantly! But the body needed to much work. So I love the ride of Lexus. Funny bc I love the cushion, soft, smooth feeling while driving.
Aesthetically, I think the only car that compares would be Mercedes. Visually, they are works of art in*my opinion. But as you stated, reliability and longevity account for much, much more than a few things that another luxury brand "may" posses. And while owning this Honda, I could not agree more with you. There's not better feeling than knowing that when you get in and turn the key, you won't get a Christmas tree on the dash and the car will do what it was designed to do. To echo your sentiment: drive.
Kind of funny that you're coming from a 2000 accord. I was coming from a 99 accord with 280k miles on her.

When I decided to upgrade, it was important that the reliability be what I had expected from the accord...so far so good. Another interesting note...I have averaged 26 mpg in the Lexus over my last 12k miles.

The accord was a freak of nature in terms of reliability (I still own it and plan on diving it during snowy days), but these two cars are as different as you can imagine. The lexus is so comfortable to drive that it took me some getting used to (I almost fell asleep driving in it several times at first), but it is just an easy easy car to drive. The steering turning radius is unbelievable. Unbelievable. The thing can maneuver around a parking lot like a car half it's size.

I test drove and considered many cars before settling on this one. The Infiniti g37 - powerful, but poor gas mileage, too small, too ordinary and it just sat low. I felt like I was getting into a honda civic. The Audi A8 - beautiful car, but they have some serious reliability issues and the interiors were falling apart on all the ones I looked at. The BMW 535 - drove like a dream, but to own one is a total nightmare (one the worst cars ever made). I thought about a Hyundai genesis, but the more I looked at them, the more they started to look dated right before my eyes. The A4 - crap box. Transmission has no idea what gear to go into and the direction injection sounds like a diesel. The A6 - more crap. The Mercedes e350 - I thought it was nice looking enough, but it was pretty boring to drive and I wasn't crazy about the interior.

So far I've been pretty happy with the Ls 460.
Old 12-13-14, 09:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I will keep my post brief and it addresses the shift ****. The wood finish does fade...as did mine....so I replaced it with an Ebay purchase of a Lexus **** that has chrome instead of the wood and it looks great!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-14 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 10:46 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

WOW...
I cant begin to express my level of frustration, as I just wrote a very detailed response and thank you to all that have had things to contribute to my experience and providing me with a good few additional tools to use amidst my search...however...
As I pressed "Submit Thread" it logged me out and requested I log back in! I guess I took to long to formulate my response.
But thank you all kindly. I will gladly report my experience with the L.
As always, you guys are great!
Much gratitude and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-13-14, 11:19 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

haters will hate. I'm glad I switch to my 460 from the 430. Even though the 430 was super quite and comfortable but it's just a boring car to drive lol feel like I'm in a tank when I had it. The 460 however is alittle more sportier, looks a lot better and it perform much better in traffics. I live in WV so the roads here are curvy and it holds up very well at high speed. I also take long drive to florida to visit the folks every years and the ride is excellent on long trips

Last edited by AznRacer; 12-13-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 01:48 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 08 so let me chime in.

A year ago I went to test drive a 2007 model LS 460 when I drove the car it felt noisy and harsh. I was hoping to be blown away but I was not. It was t any better than my GS430. So I left.

Last week I tried again and found a mint example and it was like night and day difference compared to that other car.
I didn't even think twice and traded my gs 430 in for an Ls .

Something to loop out for. A lot of these cars are used in livery service, privat limo comoanies. Mostly dark colored cars. So be careful not get a car like that, mileage might be rolled up. Which is why even though the car has 100k miles, it looks and feels like much more. I think this was the case with the first Ls I went to see.
Don't settle. Search and find a car you truly love. Then again that goes for anything.

As for ls430 vs 460 debate.
430 looks like a w140 MB. Which I had and loved. And I love both. But design wise 460 is a lot more complex and interesting to look at. I think it's the first LS that doesn't look like a copy of a MB. And that I like.
Old 12-14-14, 07:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I just bought a 08 so let me chime in.

A year ago I went to test drive a 2007 model LS 460 when I drove the car it felt noisy and harsh. I was hoping to be blown away but I was not. It was t any better than my GS430. So I left.

Last week I tried again and found a mint example and it was like night and day difference compared to that other car.
I didn't even think twice and traded my gs 430 in for an Ls .

Something to loop out for. A lot of these cars are used in livery service, privat limo comoanies. Mostly dark colored cars. So be careful not get a car like that, mileage might be rolled up. Which is why even though the car has 100k miles, it looks and feels like much more. I think this was the case with the first Ls I went to see.
Don't settle. Search and find a car you truly love. Then again that goes for anything.

As for ls430 vs 460 debate.
430 looks like a w140 MB. Which I had and loved. And I love both. But design wise 460 is a lot more complex and interesting to look at. I think it's the first LS that doesn't look like a copy of a MB. And that I like.
That's interesting about the livery service - I never thought of that when I bought mine - but I know there is a member on here who purchased one with over 200k that had been used in that capacity. Mine was a former Florida car, so it wasn't subjected to all the road salt of New England, but now that's a different story.
Old 12-14-14, 08:38 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually drove to Maine from Ma to buy my 460 because it had what I wanted in terms of options and mileage. But while test driving the one I ended up buying, I did drive another and can say without a doubt that it wasn't cared for. The ride was rough, the interior wasn't taken care of, and it just didn't impress me.

My car was a completely different car. My wife and I enjoyed driving it. So I say try more. Drive as many different ones until you find the one that suits you.

Quick Reply: A bit dissapointed...