LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question: 07 LS w/ 130k..Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 01:50 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Question: 07 LS w/ 130k..Would you?

Its a stretch I know. The mileage is quite high, but this is more so about the type of car it is, the mileage and the maint. that has been performed on it. Its apparent the previous owner drove a good bit, but it seems towards the end (Oct of 2014) the check engine light began to rear it head, although seemingly over calibration issues. The dealer wants $19k.

Here is the VIN for anyone who wants to dig a little via MyLexus.com:

JTHBL46F575038077

Thoughts, opinions, feedback....

Much thanks!
Old 12-10-14, 02:35 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

HI. I wasn't having too much luck deciphering the info about the car. If you can get some kind of warranty, maybe it's ok. If you want my opinion, while these are awesome cars, I would prefer a much lower mileage vehicle. I guess it comes down to price and what you want to pay.

Just for fun, I went to CarGuru.com and picked a car with a ML system and under 100K miles. there are many more opportunities there depending on how far you're willing to travel, and how well you can negotiate. This is where I found my car.

Here's a sample: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=90368597
Old 12-10-14, 02:41 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I think 19k is a full price for any '07 with those miles. A check engine light on would need to be properly diagnosed and repairs made as a condition of the sale, especially from a dealer. "Seeming calibration issues" sounds like sellers code for "it could be anything".
Old 12-10-14, 03:03 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree calibration issues seems like something that is said by someone who doesn't know check engine lights.
If its not there now then it's probably resolved by replacing a bad sensor. Having a sensor go bad with that kind of millage is expected and not unusual.
Old 12-10-14, 04:16 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

My apologies to all of you for the vague description ragarding the check engine light/calibration issues. This car has actually been fully maintained at a Lexus dealership. Once I plugged in the VIN into my account on MyLexus, I was able to review all of the notes that had been made by whomever was performing the maintenance on the vehicle.

Sidenote: For all that may be familiar with MyLexus/Lexus Driver site, it seems that you are now able to view more complete notes made by Lexus technicians regarding what was done. Where as before,the notes were quite vague and often times, incomplete.

What I was able to see that was notated specifically from the Lexus tech is shown below:

At 121k miles.

OTHERS - DIAGNOSE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DTC # C1515. THIS IS A CALIBRATION CODE. - PERFORM ZERO POINT CALIBRATION. CODE IS NOW GONE AND THE ENGINE LIGHT IS OFF.

STARTER (REDUCTION TYPE) - TOW IN CAR WILL NOT START TEST SYSTEM. THE BATTERY FAILS THE LOAD TEST. - REPALCE THE BATTERY (PRO - RATED). THE CAR NOW STARTD FINE BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. - COMPUTERS HAVE LOST CALIBRATION. SEE JOB # 3 FOR MORE DETAILS.

At 128k miles

OTHERS - CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENINE LIGHT IS ON. CHECK AND ADVISE. CHARGE TO NCD PER TOM O. VEHICLE IS OPERATING PROPERLY. CUSTOMER HAD EXTEDED CRANK ON SATURDAY. - DTC # P0325. THIS IS A CRACNK SENSOR CODE BUT WAS SET WHEN THE BATTERY VOLTAGE WAS VERY LOW. THE SENSOR READINGS ARE - ALL WITHIN SPEC AT THIS TIME. CHECK THE BATTERY AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. ALL CHECK FINE AT THIS TIME.

As you have stated Devh, this time around, it appears to have been a sensor issue.

I personally think this car should be going for 16k. With the mileage on this vehicle, it'd be very difficult to find a warranty that would cover this car that wouldnt be quite absorbent in cost.
I personally think the mileage is too high, but the cars interior/exterior are in excellent condition. With that being said, even with the high mileage, it's a beautiful car.

Last edited by CRowe14; 12-10-14 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 05:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

CELs should be quick (but not necessarily cheap) to fix. When the dealer can't figure it out after two tries (no excuses, please), then I would steer clear of the car - it could be a money pit.
Old 12-10-14, 06:45 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
CELs should be quick (but not necessarily cheap) to fix. When the dealer can't figure it out after two tries (no excuses, please), then I would steer clear of the car - it could be a money pit.
What he said. Most CELs will clear once they are diagnosed and fixed if it is an obvious sensor code malfuction. If you get a cluster of CELs or a CEL that reoccurs then the culprit is usually something that takes a good part of investigation by deduction. Some inexperienced techs and owners will do what is called a shotgun approach by reading the CELs and replacing offending sensors until it solves the problem or not at all.
A CEL will not indicate an exhaust leak or the cause of a misfire code. This actually requires a live or recorded data to draw conclusions.

Since you don't own the car and they are not giving it away then it's not worth further investigation if it's not clear.
Old 12-10-14, 07:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

No, I would stay away from 07 and most 08's due to the issues with the valvetrain amoung other things. Unless you have another major chunk of change to spend on maintaining it there is a reason why it has lost a lot of its original value. 09 and up are the best 460's.
Old 12-10-14, 08:47 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
No, I would stay away from 07 and most 08's due to the issues with the valvetrain amoung other things. Unless you have another major chunk of change to spend on maintaining it there is a reason why it has lost a lot of its original value. 09 and up are the best 460's.
Really???
I wasn't aware that these were known for having valvetrain issues. Didn't k ow that at all. How common of an issue would you say it is? What mileage points? From a ratio standpoint, if you had 10 07 LS models on a used showroom floor, how many would you speculate/anticipate having this issue?
I'm most definitely straying mg away from this vehicle in particular, but for the range I'm in, the car will more than likely be an 07, maybe 08 if it's a good deal, with about 75k-90k on the clock...
Old 12-10-14, 08:48 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's misinformation. I have an '07 that I purchased brand new, they had the valve recall, it has been done and I had never had ANY issues with the car at all. All a buyer needs to do is pull the service records via VIN. Any Lexus dealer can help you out telling if all important maintenance and recalls were done professionally. These cars can run for much longer than 200K miles when properly maintained. "Avoid years" is Mercedes / BMW thing.
Old 12-10-14, 09:27 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
That's misinformation. I have an '07 that I purchased brand new, they had the valve recall, it has been done and I had never had ANY issues with the car at all. All a buyer needs to do is pull the service records via VIN. Any Lexus dealer can help you out telling if all important maintenance and recalls were done professionally. These cars can run for much longer than 200K miles when properly maintained. "Avoid years" is Mercedes / BMW thing.
Now this is more so of what ibwas not only accustomed to hearing regarding these cars, but also what I have read upon research. I've never known a Lexus of any year to be perpetually problematic. That was a surprise to hear. However, I am appreciative of all feedback, as this is a forum I use to learn from.
As it stands, the LS I will more than likely acquire based off of my budget, the car will have between 75k-90k miles.
Old 12-10-14, 09:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No, I would stay away from 07 and most 08's due to the issues with the valvetrain amoung other things. .
Ummmm........HUH???!!

Avoid years" is Mercedes / BMW thing.
100% from someone who owned and currently owns BMW. It's miserable.
Old 12-11-14, 04:56 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes this is coming from someone who doesn't own one, but spends his days telling us how awful our 460's are. He bought a 430 instead. So take it with a grain of salt.

I can tell you all about the Maybach 62. Never owned one, but I read about it on the interwebz..
Old 12-11-14, 05:04 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
Yes this is coming from someone who doesn't own one, but spends his days telling us how awful our 460's are. He bought a 430 instead. So take it with a grain of salt.

I can tell you all about the Maybach 62. Never owned one, but I read about it on the interwebz..
Lol!
Upon doing more reading, I've earned that Lexus replaces the valve springs as a courtesy, being that they understand it's an issue.
Old 12-11-14, 05:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Three times I was going to post something to that effect, but kept deleting it. LOL

Quick Reply: Question: 07 LS w/ 130k..Would you?