LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls460 vs lx570

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 07:41 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Does one feature higher grade materials than the other?

Or, are both on the same lux / quality level?

From what I understand from the Lexus marketing the LS is on an entirely different level of quality assurance. The engine blocks, assembly and conformation is as good as Ferrari. The guys working the assembly are hand picked as the best of the best from the other Toyota factories and it's considered a great honor.
The way the assembly line is managed and how the workers are constantly motivated and tested on the spot is really remarkable. It makes me think this is one of the finest automobiles that has ever been built.
Old 12-11-14, 07:50 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
From what I understand from the Lexus marketing the LS is on an entirely different level of quality assurance. The engine blocks, assembly and conformation is as good as Ferrari. The guys working the assembly are hand picked as the best of the best from the other Toyota factories and it's considered a great honor.
The way the assembly line is managed and how the workers are constantly motivated and tested on the spot is really remarkable. It makes me think this is one of the finest automobiles that has ever been built.
Very true! I didn't even get that far in my thinking. Paint is also hand sanded between coats.

From a practical standpoint, I can - however - say that LX feels every bit as solid, gaps are comparable, and doors shut like a vault (as in all Lexi).

Last edited by caha14; 12-12-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by caha14
Very true! I didn't even get that far in my thinking. Paint is also hand sanded between coats.

From a practical standpoint, I can - however - that LX feels every bit as solid, gaps are comparable, and doors shut like a vault (as in all Lexi).
I'm sure everything they learn gets trickled down and quality on the whole for the LX will be excellent but the LS will be more consistent in quality especially where you don't see it that makes the car a whole a few levels above. Would it make a great deal of difference, probably not but it's nice to know they are essentially going old school with all the dedication of building us a modern Katana sword. It reminds me of how prized Italian cars were once manufactured.
If you want to see dedication take a look at a video interview of a Canon lens assembly worker as they put together one of those highly prized sports lenses. The only thing on their mind is perfection and it makes them proud that the person who will be using it will enjoy their level of attention to detail. Sometimes I think these workers are emotionally brainwashed which might not be a good thing.
You don't get this kind of quality anymore from mass marketed goods.
Old 12-27-14, 01:47 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it confirmed that we are expecting a NEW generation for both the LS and the LX for 2016? Im in the market for one and would hate if a newer one is released next year.
Old 12-28-14, 04:11 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Bump......
Old 12-28-14, 10:37 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could see them redesigning the LX for 2016, but the LS has a few more years to go. I don't see them redesigning the LS until 2018 or 2019. Again, this is pure speculation, but Lexus seem to run about 5-6 years per generation on the LS, but closer to 8 or 9 for the LX/Land Crusier. Seeing as the current generation LS was introduced in 2013, 5 years would be 2018. However, Lexus/Toyota almost always does a mid model refresh on most vehicles 2 or 3 model years in. Seeing as the 2015 model year LS is almost exactly the same as the 2014 (some of the packages got changed or something like that?), it is likely to see a refreshed LS as a 2016 model year. However, it will still be the same generation, with most everything being the same, just little changes like headlight or taillight design. I don't think it's likely to see them make any major changes for the refresh, but again, I am just speculating.
Old 12-29-14, 02:20 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

2013 was not a new generation. It was a major redesign and facelift of the fourth generation, so technically the 2015 LS is the 9th year of the fourth generation which started in 2007. Thats why i am wondering if a fifth generation will be introduced in 2016.
Old 12-29-14, 09:26 AM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Purely my speculation, but I wouldn't expect a redesigned LS or LX in the next few years. These are their two lowest selling models, and they are a bit of a square peg in the new Toyota focus on "exciting" cars. Their attention is certainly more on the RC and other F-sport models, as well as their bread and butter ES and RXs. As mentioned, they just refreshed the LS, so I think they consider that their update and the new cycle started in 2013.

Certainly there won't be a new LX until there's a new Landcruiser, and I've heard that's a ways off. I've seen somewhere that Toyota is considering a single chassis for future large SUVs, basically they'll all be Sequoias based on the new Tundra, with "Landcruiser" as the highest trim level. (I hope not)

I'm also considering an LX or Landcruiser myself, as I really want something as comfortable as my LS, but able to tow my boat as well. Right now I have a V8 4Runner for towing, but it would be nice to consolidate if possible.
Old 12-29-14, 10:05 AM
Devh
Racer

I believe the LS is a decade car except for the 430. It's a great honor to be relevant and very few cars get to be this long in the tooth like the NSX. It's not just cars but a variety of material things you buy from the best a company has to offer. Canon is always making a new Rebel camera every year and ever two years they upgrade their prosumer cameras. It takes about five years or so for a new 1D class of camera.
I think Lexus may make a 430 like revamp car with a different chassis and engine configurations but essentially it will be more or less closer the LS460 then something as radical as the LS460 was to the LS430.
It will possibly an interim car that usher in something a lot more radical like an all electric LS.