LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vaistech IVIC-DR????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 11:40 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vaistech IVIC-DR????

I ventured onto the Vaistech site to see if there was an update for the IVIC-D and came across this....IVIC-DR

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

Anyone know the main differences besides not being compatible with gen 2-4 Nav Systems.

It looks like it's geared more towards the Enform style systems

I really hope they're still going to do the update for the new phones

Last edited by Dirteeboy; 12-04-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 12:12 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I hope they update to make sure the IVIC works with Android 5.0 release. So far on 4.4.2, no problem on my legacy IVIC
Old 12-04-14, 01:01 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
I ventured onto the Vaistech site to see if there was an update for the IVIC-D and came across this....IVIC-DR

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

Anyone know the main differences besides not being compatible with gen 2-4 Nav Systems.

It looks like it's geared more towards the Enform style systems

I really hope they're still going to do the update for the new phones
From Vais tech email:

"Thank you for your patience. We are finally taking orders for
iVIC-DR. iVIC-DR replaces iVIC-D. The differences are no more USB
iPod/iPhone input and lower price. iVIC-5DR is now $399.99 with free
Ground shipping within US."

Basically iVIC-DR = iVIC-D minus DATA USB (usb is still here but you can only charge with it and cannot hook a external usb storage for example to be played in CD emulation mode) and lower price for DR. For my setup I want to read music from my phone anyway (and use the phone UI) so I'll simply connect my phone to a wifi hd connected in the car trough samba.
Old 12-04-14, 05:41 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
From Vais tech email:

"Thank you for your patience. We are finally taking orders for
iVIC-DR. iVIC-DR replaces iVIC-D. The differences are no more USB
iPod/iPhone input and lower price. iVIC-5DR is now $399.99 with free
Ground shipping within US."

Basically iVIC-DR = iVIC-D minus DATA USB (usb is still here but you can only charge with it and cannot hook a external usb storage for example to be played in CD emulation mode) and lower price for DR. For my setup I want to read music from my phone anyway (and use the phone UI) so I'll simply connect my phone to a wifi hd connected in the car trough samba.
I may be reading this wrong, but phone connects to ivic-dr/car through wifi?
Old 12-04-14, 06:43 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Blah, blah, blah... does it work on cars W/O self park???? I'm just sayin.... xmas is around the corner...
Old 12-05-14, 04:07 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
I may be reading this wrong, but phone connects to ivic-dr/car through wifi?
I just received mine, waiting for prestigious society dvd/navi enhancement to install everything at once since center console need to be removed. From what I understand:

Phone connect to iVic trought hdmi for video/audio and bluetooth for key input (touchscreen feedback). Wifi is only used in my setup to connect to an external hard drive in order to access terabyte of content since phone space is limited. You could probably mount an external HD with usb on your phone if it have separate mini-usb/mini hdmi plug but mine is a nexus 5 and I need an mhl adapter for hdmi. I tried connecting both an once (mhl + external hd with) but it didn't worked, so accessing my content wirelessly would be the way to go.
Old 12-05-14, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wonder if they sorted out the bugs working with the Note 3 and S5. If so, I'd gladly trade up from my Ivic-D.
Old 12-05-14, 08:38 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wonder if they sorted out the bugs working with the Note 3 and S5. If so, I'd gladly trade up from my Ivic-D.
Any updates on the bugs you're experiencing or are they all still present?
Old 12-05-14, 05:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fly_s2k
Any updates on the bugs you're experiencing or are they all still present?
Still there in spades. For one, I get the black and white lines on my Nav screen when pushing the "Audio" button (to display the program list or radio station list). This requires cycling through the "CD" or "Disc" button to get rid of the lines. Also, the IVIC Port app blows. Worst of all, the mirroring of my app screen from my phone has missing icons. This is more because the Note 3 doesn't work well in landscape mode than the Ivic-D itself.. Not impressed.
Old 12-06-14, 11:29 PM
NAK
Rookie

Still there in spades. For one, I get the black and white lines on my Nav screen when pushing the "Audio" button (to display the program list or radio station list). This requires cycling through the "CD" or "Disc" button to get rid of the lines. Also, the IVIC Port app blows. Worst of all, the mirroring of my app screen from my phone has missing icons. This is more because the Note 3 doesn't work well in landscape mode than the Ivic-D itself.. Not impressed.
On Samsung Note 3, S4 and S5 factory app launcher (Touchwiz) does not support landscape mode. This is the reason you have missing icons. You can try Nova Launcher from play store. iVIC Port has a widget to manually control rotation, so you can see how your app looks in landscape on your phone without connection to iVIC. As far as iVIC Port there is a possibility it is conflicting with some apps on your phone.
Old 12-14-14, 07:48 PM
djcrawf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased the IVIC-DR when it first came out several weeks ago so I can provide my thoughts.

I am using it with the LG G3 and I think it is a great upgrade to the stock sound system capability. The installation was pretty easy (I mounted it under the carpet in the passenger side of the transmission tunnel as others here have recommended) and Vais tech support has been superb for the few questions I've had along the way. I haven't had any real issues with the unit and it works flawlessly (I occasionally lose the signal temporarily but I am pretty sure this is due to the adapter I am using).

This unit still lacks the ability to use the back up camera for cars without self park. I purchased the video harness that will allow me to plug in a backup camera that I can then access via the IVIC menu. I plan to either tap into the existing backup camera if possible or just replace the factory camera with a new one. The one issue is that you would have to select the camera input from the interface each time you wanted to use it which wouldn't be horrible however, when you start the car you must wait for a period of time before the "Warning" screen turns off; by this time I am already out of the driveway. It would be nice if it could be set to default to the camera input when the unit receives power and then show the warning message once the unit is switched back to the phone input mode.

I had to use a slimport to HDMI adapter and it appears that not all adapters are the same. The SP1002 adapter works perfectly and charges the phone when you connect a micro USB cable to it. The issue that that this adapter has a short (4-5") micro USB that plugs into the phone so I cannot keep it hidden as I would like. I tried to add an extension cable to this and It would not work. I tried a different adapter that has a longer micro USB cable but it charged at a slower rate that would not keep up with the power draw.

Like I said earlier, I think this a great addition to the LS sound system and I am very happy with it. I purchased it in preparation of adding new speakers, amps, and sub-woofer to my LS. I use Rhapsody and Spotify to stream all of my music (I have unlimited data on my phone) along with the Tune In app to listen to my local radio stations. Sound quality is pretty good- better than what it sounds like in my wife's GX460 when streaming via Bluetooth- it's not as compressed sounding. I love being able to use Google maps on my nav screen as well as read my emails (when stopped of course and sending messages via the voice recognition on my phone.

If anyone has any specific questions, I would be glad to answer them.
Old 12-21-14, 01:00 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Also, the IVIC Port app blows. Worst of all, the mirroring of my app screen from my phone has missing icons. This is more because the Note 3 doesn't work well in landscape mode than the Ivic-D itself.. Not impressed.
Icon issue is probably more related to the launcher you are using. Have you tried Nova launcher ? I'm using Cyanogenmod on a Nexus 5 and the default launcher (trebuchet) had visual bug in landscape mode. Switched to google now launcher and everything is perfect. As for the IVIC Port app, just don't use that. Use tasker instead and manually trigger the screen rotation with "Rotate" app plugin. You can also add way more action that the iVic app. I set mine so when iVic connection is detected via bluethooth, my phone:

1. Rotate the screen
2. Disable pattern lock so the phone unlock if it's locked (iVic port don't support pattern type unlocking)
3. Disable keyguard so phone don't lock while connected to car
4. Activate"Never sleep while connected to a power source" so the phone never sleep while connected
5. Turn wifi off
6. Activate data connection
7. Create a wifi hotspot so people in the car can get internet connection
8. Activate gps/location and switch to hight accuracy
9. Launch "Speaker" app so my phone can be used as a hub for other phone to connect via wifi and stream on it music that get played in the car. This way music quality don't get degraded while streaming unlike bluetooth.
10. Connect to a wifi hard drive so I can access all my videos and music through iVic
11. Turn "Car Mode" On
12. Go to screen home in case an app was previously running

All this under 3 second

Then when my phone disconnect from iVic Bluetooth all is restored like it was before.
Old 12-23-14, 11:04 AM
MizOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Icon issue is probably more related to the launcher you are using. Have you tried Nova launcher ? I'm using Cyanogenmod on a Nexus 5 and the default launcher (trebuchet) had visual bug in landscape mode. Switched to google now launcher and everything is perfect. As for the IVIC Port app, just don't use that. Use tasker instead and manually trigger the screen rotation with "Rotate" app plugin. You can also add way more action that the iVic app. I set mine so when iVic connection is detected via bluethooth, my phone:

1. Rotate the screen
2. Disable pattern lock so the phone unlock if it's locked (iVic port don't support pattern type unlocking)
3. Disable keyguard so phone don't lock while connected to car
4. Activate"Never sleep while connected to a power source" so the phone never sleep while connected
5. Turn wifi off
6. Activate data connection
7. Create a wifi hotspot so people in the car can get internet connection
8. Activate gps/location and switch to hight accuracy
9. Launch "Speaker" app so my phone can be used as a hub for other phone to connect via wifi and stream on it music that get played in the car. This way music quality don't get degraded while streaming unlike bluetooth.
10. Connect to a wifi hard drive so I can access all my videos and music through iVic
11. Turn "Car Mode" On
12. Go to screen home in case an app was previously running

All this under 3 second

Then when my phone disconnect from iVic Bluetooth all is restored like it was before.
I just had the iVic-6DR installed in my CT. I was also experiencing problems with the iVic Port app and have uninstalled it. I am impressed with your setup. Can you please explain how you were able to get all of that setup to automatically happen based on the bluetooth connection to the iVic? Does my phone need to be rooted? I am going to play with the Nova Launcher and the Google Now Launcher to see if I can get a better experience in landscape mode, but I would love to have the screen automatically rotate based on the bluetooth connection to iVic. I searched for the "rotate" app that you referenced but didn't find it, can you be more specific (ie. developer name). I sincerely thank you for any help you can provide. I was very excited to get the iVic installed but will be even happier if I can get it working the way I envisioned it.
Old 12-23-14, 04:38 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MizOutlaw
I just had the iVic-6DR installed in my CT. I was also experiencing problems with the iVic Port app and have uninstalled it. I am impressed with your setup. Can you please explain how you were able to get all of that setup to automatically happen based on the bluetooth connection to the iVic? Does my phone need to be rooted? I am going to play with the Nova Launcher and the Google Now Launcher to see if I can get a better experience in landscape mode, but I would love to have the screen automatically rotate based on the bluetooth connection to iVic. I searched for the "rotate" app that you referenced but didn't find it, can you be more specific (ie. developer name). I sincerely thank you for any help you can provide. I was very excited to get the iVic installed but will be even happier if I can get it working the way I envisioned it.
Yes your phone do need to be rooted. The app you use to trigger tasks when certain events are detected is tasker (not free but if there is one app that's worth the money it's that one). My sequence is pretty complex but in order to reproduce only the basic behavior of iVic Port you need:

-All the usual app for a rooted phone (superSU, busybox, etc)
-Tasker
-Ultimate rotate control
-Secure setting

It's important you select those one because some of them automatically install plugins for tasker. Now in tasker:

1. Create a task
New Action --> plugin --> Rotate --> Landscape
New Action --> plugin --> Secure setting --> Disable pattern Lock (if you use pattern lock)
New Action --> plugin --> Secure setting --> Disable keyguard
New Action --> plugin --> Secure setting --> Keep display on while charging (this should wake up the device automatically so no need to create a wake action)

The next part was tricky because there was a bug for me when the script launched while the screen was locked and sometime it wouldn't rotate (maybe it's just my phone/rom version, you might not have this bug). At this point you can just unlock your phone before plugin it in to avoid this problem, but I wanted my setup to be perfect so I created the following additional task to overcome this:

New Action --> task --> wait --> 1 sec
New Action --> code--> runshell --> the command is: input tap 550 1850 (This will vary depending of your device, but the idea is to simulate a physical home button click --> see this page: http://www.pocketables.com/2013/07/h...-and-root.html)

After that, create a profile based on a State and associate the profile to the previously created task. I set mine to trigger when ivic is connected via Bluetooth but you can also trigger it when hdmi "ON" state is detected so it trigger immediately when you plug the wire (I preferred the BT way since I didn't want my phone to unlock automatically when it's plugged to a tv for security purpose)

Create profile --> Net --> BT Connected --> Name (search for ivic instance) -- Status ON

Finally create a new profile with Status OFF for the iVic Bluetooth connection and associate it with a task that does all the inverse when your phone disconnect from iVic

Setting this up can be a bit complicated at first but once setup correctly it work flawlessly, and each time without issue (unlike iVic port).
Old 12-30-14, 12:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The issue that that this adapter has a short (4-5") micro USB that plugs into the phone so I cannot keep it hidden as I would like. I tried to add an extension cable to this and It would not work.
I solved that with this:

http://www.angledcables.com/mhl-extension-cable.html

Works great and allows me to hide that huge adapter.

Quick Reply: Vaistech IVIC-DR????