LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Please post your mpg & your oil weight:0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30 or your other choice wt

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 02:57 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Please post your mpg & your oil weight:0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30 or your other choice wt

Please post your mpg & your oil weight:0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30 or your other choice wt.
Old 11-30-14, 03:11 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

You guys won't believe this, but on the drive home (Beverly Hills to Peachtree City, GA) when I bought the car a week ago, the mpg readout got up to 33 mpg. The tank ended at 32.X. The calculated fuel mileage was just over 31 mpg.

2 caveats. I droned at 75 mph the whole tank (like 550 miles). And, I had a pretty nice tailwind too (east-bound).

Overall I'd say the car averaged about 27 mpg on the way home. I didn't log it, I was too tired. I run whatever oil the Beverly Hills Lexus dealer put in it. Probably just what the book calls for.

7milesout
Old 11-30-14, 03:36 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Please post your mpg & your oil weight:0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30 or your other choice wt.
This is a big depends because there are so many factors.
Realistically the W number is meaningless and doesn't mean weight so we are down to differences between 20wt oil vs 30wt and it depends on where in the viscosity range these oil sit.
Over all the difference would be 1mpg at best which is well within the margin of error.
Old 11-30-14, 04:04 PM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure of my oil weight because I bought from a Lexus dealer last summer and have only driven about 3K miles since...so whatever a dealer would have put in it.
I'm blow away by my mileage. I just got 29mpg driving home today from Thanksgiving (95% highway). That's what I used to get on my Accord V6. I continue to be amazed by this LS460's refinement, power, and mileage. I have never owned a car before in which there wasn't some better car out there that I was lusting for.
Old 11-30-14, 05:49 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

5w20 I'm averaging between 26-27 mpg's and with 0w20 I'm averaging between 25.5-26.
I attribute the mileage change to do more with the colder climates recently (that was the same time I went to the 0w20). So I'd consider there to be little or no affect on mpg's between the 5w20 and the 0w20.

I also rotate between super and mid grade every other week, and I haven't really noticed any difference in gas mileage between the two. In fact I don't notice any difference in anything (power, smoothness, etc).
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-10-21)
Old 11-30-14, 05:51 PM
SBY68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Mobil 1 0-20 Wt in a 2013 ES350 On the highway at 75+- mph in ECO drive and 87 octane w Ethenol added
I'm getting 30-31+ mpg and that is measured fill ups not computer mileage. I plan on changing oil at 10,000 miles.
I did this with my 2005 Lexus ES 330 and it never used a drop of oil between changes and it had no leaks of any kind.
I traded it in on my 2013 with 120,000 miles on it.
Old 11-30-14, 06:09 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SBY68
Using Mobil 1 0-20 Wt in a 2013 ES350 On the highway at 75+- mph in ECO drive and 87 octane w Ethenol added
I'm getting 30-31+ mpg and that is measured fill ups not computer mileage. I plan on changing oil at 10,000 miles.
I did this with my 2005 Lexus ES 330 and it never used a drop of oil between changes and it had no leaks of any kind.
I traded it in on my 2013 with 120,000 miles on it.
I really like the new ES350, it's a very reliable, decent performer. And I think it looks light years better now than it did in the previous model design. The ES has a couple of advantages over the LS...regular fuel, better gas mileage and decent performance. The power train is also reliable/easy to work on and reasonable for part's prices. But the LS is just a whole other animal...more power, higher end luxury, better looking (in my opinion). I would seriously consider purchasing the new ES350 and I just might when the prices come down.
Old 12-01-14, 07:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
This is a big depends because there are so many factors.
Realistically the W number is meaningless and doesn't mean weight so we are down to differences between 20wt oil vs 30wt and it depends on where in the viscosity range these oil sit.
Over all the difference would be 1mpg at best which is well within the margin of error.
Yeah...the differences are too minscule to formulate a legit analysis. There are far MORE legitimate reasons for any mpg number given, such as driving style, tire sizes, weather conditions, and about a hundred other factors. More important to oil selection is what it does for your engine and the only real way to know that, is an oil analysis by Blackstone Labs and the like.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-10-21)
Old 12-01-14, 10:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yeah...the differences are too minscule to formulate a legit analysis. There are far MORE legitimate reasons for any mpg number given, such as driving style, tire sizes, weather conditions, and about a hundred other factors. More important to oil selection is what it does for your engine and the only real way to know that, is an oil analysis by Blackstone Labs and the like.
They tried to do something similar to sell Synthetic oil long ago by claiming it will give a small economy car an additional three horsepower. The reality is, five horsepower is the dynos margin of error. I think there is a measurable difference when the engine is hooked up to the dyno but nothing to write home about and certainly nothing anyone would feel.
If they were honest about the benefits of Synthetic oil it would sell it's self.
Old 12-15-14, 10:49 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Now that I'm a few steps farther along in my ownership experience, I just realized I'm right at 5,000 miles since the previous owner had the previous oil change performed. I want to add my $0.02 of my own thoughts / opinions / statements. Let me know if you need change back.
  • I will be running Castrol GTX 5W-20, non-synthetic.
  • The service history doesn't state oil type, and the previous owner would not know, so my opinion is that the (any) dealership will likely run the least expensive oil they can ... to save themselves some money. Don't blame them for that. So I'm guessing the car has always had mineral oil ... and that's fine by me.
  • I will be doing 5,000 mile o.c.i.'s likely for the duration of my ownership.
  • I will likely always be using Castrol GTX, as it is what I've always used in my other vehicles, and spent some time at the local Lexus dealer and the service guy said they use the same Castrol when they service vehicles.
  • I will report back if I notice any acceleration problems after the oil change.
  • The previous owner states he never noticed such a problem after oil changes.
  • I'm going to do the oil changes, but I'm going to ask my S/A if he will enter the service history so I can track it on LexusDrivers.
  • I don't believe there is any good way outside of a test track, to make any distiguishing difference in mpg based on 5W versus 0W. My opinion is, even if scientifically measured on a track, the results would be negligible.
  • My own personal mpg varies all over the map. From 31 mpg bringing it home, to less than 20 mpg around town here. I live 3.5 miles from work, so I will never achieve great mpg around town. I drive VERY conservative, I've never rode with anyone who drives as conservative as I. Not cause I'm an old geezer (I'm 43) but because I do not enjoy paying for fuel.
  • My preferred driving set-up is Eco Mode combined with the Comfort suspension setting. It's a luxury car so I choose it to be soft. And in Eco Mode, the engine grunts real nice and shifts so smooth its almost like driving a CVT.
  • Last thing, cause I'm a nut. I would love to have a real cleanly (hidden) install of a dry NOS system to give me like a 100 hp shot. I have a buddy here at work with an M5, and would love to whomp his 2009 M5 in an LS 460L! I'm already going to whomp him in the Total Cost of Ownership / Durability department, it would be great to add insult to injury!
Old 12-15-14, 01:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Now that I'm a few steps farther along in my ownership experience, I just realized I'm right at 5,000 miles since the previous owner had the previous oil change performed. I want to add my $0.02 of my own thoughts / opinions / statements. Let me know if you need change back.
  • I will be running Castrol GTX 5W-20, non-synthetic.
  • The service history doesn't state oil type, and the previous owner would not know, so my opinion is that the (any) dealership will likely run the least expensive oil they can ... to save themselves some money. Don't blame them for that. So I'm guessing the car has always had mineral oil ... and that's fine by me.
  • I will be doing 5,000 mile o.c.i.'s likely for the duration of my ownership.
  • I will likely always be using Castrol GTX, as it is what I've always used in my other vehicles, and spent some time at the local Lexus dealer and the service guy said they use the same Castrol when they service vehicles.
  • I will report back if I notice any acceleration problems after the oil change.
  • The previous owner states he never noticed such a problem after oil changes.
  • I'm going to do the oil changes, but I'm going to ask my S/A if he will enter the service history so I can track it on LexusDrivers.
  • I don't believe there is any good way outside of a test track, to make any distiguishing difference in mpg based on 5W versus 0W. My opinion is, even if scientifically measured on a track, the results would be negligible.
  • My own personal mpg varies all over the map. From 31 mpg bringing it home, to less than 20 mpg around town here. I live 3.5 miles from work, so I will never achieve great mpg around town. I drive VERY conservative, I've never rode with anyone who drives as conservative as I. Not cause I'm an old geezer (I'm 43) but because I do not enjoy paying for fuel.
  • My preferred driving set-up is Eco Mode combined with the Comfort suspension setting. It's a luxury car so I choose it to be soft. And in Eco Mode, the engine grunts real nice and shifts so smooth its almost like driving a CVT.
  • Last thing, cause I'm a nut. I would love to have a real cleanly (hidden) install of a dry NOS system to give me like a 100 hp shot. I have a buddy here at work with an M5, and would love to whomp his 2009 M5 in an LS 460L! I'm already going to whomp him in the Total Cost of Ownership / Durability department, it would be great to add insult to injury!
I'm just curious to why you would think there would be a negligible difference between 0W and 5W oil on a track.
Old 12-15-14, 01:40 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I'm just curious to why you would think there would be a negligible difference between 0W and 5W oil on a track.
Because 0W & 5W are the vicosities when the oil is cold. Like at a cold crank.

Once the engine is warmed ... actually once the oil is warmed (and that's prior to the coolant gauge settling at its warmed up spot) the oil auto-magically becomes 20 weight.

In both cases the oil will be 20 weight at like 99% (or greater) for the duration of a good test.
Old 12-15-14, 02:21 PM
bweirich
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At 73 - 75 mph I average anywhere from 28 - 32 mpg. It depends which way the wind is blowing. The oil is 0w20. I have it changed every 10,000 miles. 2009 125,000 miles. Some of you will question the 10,000 miles interval. There are sometimes this could only be 2- 2 1/2 months for me.
Old 12-15-14, 02:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Because 0W & 5W are the vicosities when the oil is cold. Like at a cold crank.

Once the engine is warmed ... actually once the oil is warmed (and that's prior to the coolant gauge settling at its warmed up spot) the oil auto-magically becomes 20 weight.

In both cases the oil will be 20 weight at like 99% (or greater) for the duration of a good test.
All things being equal yes but why is it negligible on the track. Meaning why would you see a difference at all.
Old 12-15-14, 04:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

All things being equal yes but why is it negligible on the track. Meaning why would you see a difference at all.
I don't believe even a proper track test would discern a measurable difference between the two. Therefore negligible.

Quick Reply: Please post your mpg & your oil weight:0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30 or your other choice wt