LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Recall Alert - fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 12:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
I thought those same thoughts: what questions to ask and look for. But I just figured when they got in there, they'd notice anything odd. I haven't really driven my car much since the recall repair, but it was driving real nice on the ride home after the service.

Now that's what I like to hear! So far everyone has said the same thing...that it seems to drive nicely, and in some cases a bit more quiet.
Hoping that is the case for me with no other issues!
Old 03-02-15, 12:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Anyone know if they re-program the ECU during this recall? I hope so. If they do, it might explain why the car drives so well after the recall work is done. Regardless, I intend to have both the trans and engine ECU's re-programmed when I get mine done. Might even ask for a NAV update.
Old 03-02-15, 01:13 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Anyone know if they re-program the ECU during this recall? I hope so. If they do, it might explain why the car drives so well after the recall work is done. Regardless, I intend to have both the trans and engine ECU's re-programmed when I get mine done. Might even ask for a NAV update.
Hey RF, i'll ask tonight since i'll be there, but as active as these members are, someone will probably answer that question before I do. But i'll definitely ask this evening.
Old 03-02-15, 03:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Hey RF, i'll ask tonight since i'll be there, but as active as these members are, someone will probably answer that question before I do. But i'll definitely ask this evening.
Roger that....You're a good lad!
Old 03-02-15, 03:25 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm pretty sure that they flashed my ECU. if you read that 44 page repair that is posted a few posts back it mentions resetting all of the saved settings. and right now when i fill up my tank it says that i get 400+ miles per tank when it normally said about 300 because of all of the around town driving i do...
Old 03-02-15, 03:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

So, it seems that I will be dropping my car off this evening to have the recall done on my car.
A gentleman in service ( a guy I'm purposely developing a solid relationship with) at my local dealership actually gave me a call and told me that there was a recall out on my car and I could bring it in anytime to have it done, and a loaner would be ready for me once the car is dropped off.
I initially had apprehensions about allowing this particular shop perform the work, as this is the same place that:

-Initially had miscommunication regarding a regular balance vs a RFB and was initially up charged but then remedied by the guy mention above...
-Washed the car after I said not to and put scratches in the paint. Called to have the issue addressed and was given a hard time, but again, once I spoke to the guy I mentioned above, he took care of me.

Neither of these HUGE deals, but none the less, it left a bad taste in my mouth. But the gentleman assured me that a Master Tech only performs this recall and the car will be in good hands.

My question to you everyone: Since there will be quite a few things that will be taken apart to address this recall properly, is there anything I should ask them to look at while they have it? I'm aware and will ask them to look at/clean the MAF...
Anything else?

Thanks everyone!
Well you probably won't have to ask - because they should notice it right away - but there is a coolant bypass pipe under the manifold I believe, and some have reported that there is a seal in there that leaks. Be nice to fix that while they're in there, but again, they should notice that without you asking for it.
Old 03-02-15, 04:18 PM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped mine off for the recall work this morning. Should be ready by tomorrow. They loaned out a brand new RC350 to me. Pretty nice, but once the novelty wears off...I miss my LS already!!
Old 03-02-15, 06:16 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Roger that....You're a good lad!
So I asked Chris, they guy I've been speaking with at Lexus about the reflashing of the ECU and he said no they don't do it. Now, whether or not the Master Techs do it and don't convey that to the desk service guys is another thing. But the service rep I speak to says they don't. I made sure to communicate to him that other memebers in the forum I'm a member in have made mention of smoother, more quiet rides, and he said that's possible due to just cleaning up some things, but no reflashing of the ECU. Anyone hear anything different..now I'm curious, especially because of what Petey said.

Last edited by CRowe14; 03-03-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 06:24 PM
efxonly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the fuel line recall completed last week and was told that they did not flash the ECU (or whatever it's called) because they did not want to introduce any new problems with hesitation and re-learning. I definitely feel like my idle noise has been reduced, but ymmv.
Old 03-02-15, 08:23 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I notice smoother ride and quieter idle, I also had the MAF sensor & throttle body cleaned which was not to bad from what he said. I will ask him tomorrow if flashed my ECU when he did the recall work, if not then could be the placebo effect.
Old 03-03-15, 06:01 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I asked my tech did he flash/reset my ECU and he said no.
Old 03-03-15, 09:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Well I discovered some interesting news today. Apparently my car has no recall. Even though I received the initial letter, that doesn't mean my car is actually being recalled. This according to the dealer I visited today. They ran my VIN through the computer.

Sooo.....for those waiting on their follow-up letter, ya might be disappointed!
Old 03-03-15, 09:31 PM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my car back from the dealer today. I didn't notice anything different and they did NOT reflash the ECU.
Old 03-04-15, 08:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I got my car back from the dealer last night-UNWASHED () and with a full tank of petroleum.
When I first started the car, it had a sound to it that was strange initially. I let it run for a few minutes before going into D and upon acceleration, was a weird noise also. Kind of like a light/faint winding noise. The noise pitch matched the sound of the rate of acceleration. But as I pulled out of the lot and onto the road, within about 1,000', the noise was gone and hasn't returned. Not sure what that was.
I haven't noticed that its any smoother than it was before I turned it in. But im inclined to say that it does seem that the DI ticking is a bit more faint while driving. Just a bit. Smooth and quiet.

Roadfrog:
I wonder why things seem to be different from dealership to dealership. Some requiring a letter, some not, some not recalled at all...
Strange.
Old 03-04-15, 04:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I got my car back from the dealer last night-UNWASHED () and with a full tank of petroleum.
When I first started the car, it had a sound to it that was strange initially. I let it run for a few minutes before going into D and upon acceleration, was a weird noise also. Kind of like a light/faint winding noise. The noise pitch matched the sound of the rate of acceleration. But as I pulled out of the lot and onto the road, within about 1,000', the noise was gone and hasn't returned. Not sure what that was.
I haven't noticed that its any smoother than it was before I turned it in. But im inclined to say that it does seem that the DI ticking is a bit more faint while driving. Just a bit. Smooth and quiet.

Roadfrog:
I wonder why things seem to be different from dealership to dealership. Some requiring a letter, some not, some not recalled at all...
Strange.
I bet they probably spilled a little something on your serpentine belt and it was burning off as you started it...maybe coolant.

Quick Reply: Recall Alert - fuel lines