LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replacing FRT upper/lower control arms and/or bushings.

Old 11-21-14, 05:55 AM
20GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing FRT upper/lower control arms and/or bushings.

Over the last month or so I have been hearing a light "clunking" sound when going up certain bumps, when the body weight shifts, etc and I had two shops tell me that my front upper and lower bushings have play in them. They are suggesting me replace the bushings and ball joints in the 4 upper control arms and 2 lower control arms (front only). I suspected it would have been more of a strut mount issue but they are "claiming" it isn't. Sound correct?
(I attached a few images that the tech sent me)
Two questions:
Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you replace the bushings and ball joints in your OE control arms OR did you buy new control arms with the bushings & ball joints already installed in?
From what they are telling, the labor to install new bushings/ball joints in my existing control arms i is really high compared to replacing the whole control arm.
Obviously the OE Lexus control arms are outrageous compared to aftermarket ones. Anyone have a bad experience with the aftermarket ones? Looks like there are a few aftermarket options listed on eBay.
Any help/info on this would be appreciated since the clunking sound is driving me nuts. Sounds like I am driving a 1986 Ford Tempo!
Attached Thumbnails Replacing FRT upper/lower control arms and/or bushings.-pic-1.jpg   Replacing FRT upper/lower control arms and/or bushings.-pic-3.jpg  
Old 11-21-14, 06:55 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Go to the FAQ and DIY thread at the top of this forum, there is a lot of info on this topic in the suspension section.
Old 11-21-14, 12:43 PM
20GS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Go to the FAQ and DIY thread at the top of this forum, there is a lot of info on this topic in the suspension section.
I can't seem to find where the "DIY" thread is. I am somewhat new to the forum. Can anyone send me a link to it? I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-14, 06:05 PM
Nospinzone

Please read everything in this link first -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php

then go to this link -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html
Old 11-22-14, 07:13 AM
20GS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Please read everything in this link first -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php

then go to this link -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html
THANK YOU! This info helped a lot and I was able to locate some helpful threads on the topic.
Old 11-22-14, 07:41 PM
Nospinzone

Great!

If you have questions that aren't answered in those links, please feel free to post them here.
Old 11-23-14, 05:22 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Seeing how this thread is already here (and I don't want to dig up any of the old threads), does anyone recommend any specific bushings to use? I have read all the old threads and I have looked on ebay, the prices range quite a bit on most of the sets. And has anyone tried the upper control arms that are on ebay for $50 bucks? It seems too good to be true, but it would be a hell of a lot easier than pressing bushings in and out.

Based off what I've seen on ebay I can get poly's for about $250 (for upper and lower). And they come with a lifetime warranty. I personally don't think poly is the way to go, but then again the rubber bushings aren't exactly holding up their end of the bargain in the car as it is.

During my last oil change I took a look at the bottom control arms and I have a crack in the driver's side bushing, but I don't think it is gone just yet (I imagine it will be in 5-10K miles). My car does pull a little bit as well. I haven't experienced the noise going over bumps yet, but when I do I'm going to replace them myself. I was thinking about doing an alignment but I don't have techstream to reset the steering angle sensor.

Last edited by Doublebase; 11-23-14 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 07:21 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link to the bushings figs engineering just released. Only ones id go with unless someone else can chime in with another quality product. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls460-ls460l-and-ls600h/758887-finally-bushings-for-the-front-upper-control-links.html
Old 11-24-14, 08:06 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Seeing how this thread is already here (and I don't want to dig up any of the old threads), does anyone recommend any specific bushings to use? I have read all the old threads and I have looked on ebay, the prices range quite a bit on most of the sets. And has anyone tried the upper control arms that are on ebay for $50 bucks? It seems too good to be true, but it would be a hell of a lot easier than pressing bushings in and out.

Based off what I've seen on ebay I can get poly's for about $250 (for upper and lower). And they come with a lifetime warranty. I personally don't think poly is the way to go, but then again the rubber bushings aren't exactly holding up their end of the bargain in the car as it is.

During my last oil change I took a look at the bottom control arms and I have a crack in the driver's side bushing, but I don't think it is gone just yet (I imagine it will be in 5-10K miles). My car does pull a little bit as well. I haven't experienced the noise going over bumps yet, but when I do I'm going to replace them myself. I was thinking about doing an alignment but I don't have techstream to reset the steering angle sensor.
Poly bushings can be great but there is a lot of cons surrounding them if they are not researched.
If they are just bushings that have an arbitrary hardness then they can cause binding and a poor quality ride.
Also they will squeak if they don't have lubricant channels to capture the grease and may require frequent greasing. Some poorly made poly can actually crack and crumble.
Old 11-24-14, 06:39 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
Poly bushings can be great but there is a lot of cons surrounding them if they are not researched.
If they are just bushings that have an arbitrary hardness then they can cause binding and a poor quality ride.
Also they will squeak if they don't have lubricant channels to capture the grease and may require frequent greasing. Some poorly made poly can actually crack and crumble.
Well that doesn't sound good.
Old 11-24-14, 06:40 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is150
Here is a link to the bushings figs engineering just released. Only ones id go with unless someone else can chime in with another quality product. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rol-links.html
Thanks, but didn't those get poor reviews? I thought I read they were only lasting 5k miles.
Old 11-26-14, 12:01 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ththought I read that too doublebase, but I think the 5k mile comment was referring to the oem bushings.

If you go to the figs website, it will give a similar description. About oem bushings failing in as little as 5k miles.

Either way I haven't heard any feed back from the item, but am interested.
Old 11-26-14, 12:24 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

The Figs bushings were developed in conjunction with Super-Pro and have a lifetime warranty. They may be more firm, but they will last as long as you own the car. I have a similar set in my Supra.

Steve K.
Old 11-26-14, 02:50 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
The Figs bushings were developed in conjunction with Super-Pro and have a lifetime warranty. They may be more firm, but they will last as long as you own the car. I have a similar set in my Supra.

Steve K.
How's the ride difference with the polys on the Supra compared to the stock rubber bushings?
Old 11-26-14, 03:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1

Steve K.
If the Figs bushings were developed by Super-Pro then they have done the research.
Super-Pro offers the highest quality and will have the lubricant channels necessary so they don't squeak.
What Super-Pro does is measure the hardness of the rubber bushings and builds theirs to around the same specification. Don't expect a dramatic improvement in handling but at the same time it will not cause any odd behavior with too hard of a bushing.

I have experience with Super-pro, Whiteline, Prothane and Engergy Suspension. The Super-pro is just right for our application.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing FRT upper/lower control arms and/or bushings.