LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radio dimensions for LS 460 and LS 600

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 06:12 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I would try and tap into the hardware so I can get a digital stream if it is possible and then have an external DAC do the rest including the digital crossovers/equalization.
In early marketing material I remember the claim that it was SPDIF. Looking forward to your build! That's a system that will beat the factory Levinson!
Old 11-28-14, 11:42 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GXAlan
In early marketing material I remember the claim that it was SPDIF. Looking forward to your build! That's a system that will beat the factory Levinson!
My post is if I were to do it, not that I would. I was heavily into car audio as a hobby long ago and built my last system in my other car as an active system. I had to spend months tuning it using a flat mic and instrumentation.

Sadly the car audio industry is no longer interested in the sound quality aspect and it's more geared for SLP completion and decibel racing with fancy amplifier racks and lights. Don't get me started with those stupid farad capacitors that are a poor band aid for low capacity alternator.

A real car audio enthusiast hides his gear discreetly even using existing speaker grills as much as possible.
You can build a system that will be better then the factory ML but I'm afraid that those who probably want to build one will end up with more boom and flash then a balance of sound that the ML brings to the table for old peoples ears.
Old 11-28-14, 01:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My post is if I were to do it, not that I would. I was heavily into car audio as a hobby long ago and built my last system in my other car as an active system. I had to spend months tuning it using a flat mic and instrumentation.

Sadly the car audio industry is no longer interested in the sound quality aspect and it's more geared for SLP completion and decibel racing with fancy amplifier racks and lights. Don't get me started with those stupid farad capacitors that are a poor band aid for low capacity alternator.

A real car audio enthusiast hides his gear discreetly even using existing speaker grills as much as possible.
You can build a system that will be better then the factory ML but I'm afraid that those who probably want to build one will end up with more boom and flash then a balance of sound that the ML brings to the table for old peoples ears.
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!! Are you ACTUALLY suggesting that a audiophile quality system does NOT involve a bunch of flashing and glowing neon purple lights and huge, shiny chrome capacitors??!!!

Old 11-28-14, 02:37 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!! Are you ACTUALLY suggesting that a audiophile quality system does NOT involve a bunch of flashing and glowing neon purple lights and huge, shiny chrome capacitors??!!!

The more bling the better the sound is probably one of the recessive traits we left behind when were fish and birds.

I bet Ode to Joy in D Minor sounds phenomenal on the ML or an Audi with the Bang & Olufsen .
I would certainly like to audition one of these high end systems and see if they live up to the hype.
Old 11-28-14, 05:35 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly the car audio industry is no longer interested in the sound quality aspect.
I would argue that it is also the car audio consumer. With heavy integration of the head unit to the rest of the car and the need for stuff like FLAC, etc, nowadays the best bang for the buck is MS-8 plus sub for most setups. Vehicle OEM setups have also done exceptionally well with it being "good enough" for FM and Pandora/Spotify. Audio OEMs also make more money licensing than developing. Good example is the B&W car audio line which is manufactured by Harman.
Old 11-28-14, 06:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by GXAlan
I would argue that it is also the car audio consumer. With heavy integration of the head unit to the rest of the car and the need for stuff like FLAC, etc, nowadays the best bang for the buck is MS-8 plus sub for most setups. Vehicle OEM setups have also done exceptionally well with it being "good enough" for FM and Pandora/Spotify. Audio OEMs also make more money licensing than developing. Good example is the B&W car audio line which is manufactured by Harman.
The audio consumer sets the direction based on trends and the shareholders make it so. Many good companies like Alpine and Eclipse have jumped the shark after the days of dancing dolphins on Pioneer head units.
I'm not saying you cant find quality stuff but you will be paying out the nose for it because it has become more of a niche market. There is no flourishing middle ground like there was in the 90s.
This is why there are so many of these Apple/ Android , Sony/ Xbox wars because every one wants to get people on to their way the world works for them and the only way to do so is to be a fan boy.
I'm happy FLAC has a presence and hope it becomes the new format for the general public.

Last edited by Devh; 11-28-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:02 AM
jplaya517
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
ML is the best "factory" stereo available imho..unfortunately where oem ends the aftermarket begins.

By the way i unplugged the dvd changer-tuner from the nav screen today... an ALL functions still worked except audio.. (nav, a/c, b/u cam, info)... so i say go for it..
I forgot to ask, what year is your LS Shibumi1?
Old 01-14-15, 04:58 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jplaya517
I forgot to ask, what year is your LS Shibumi1?

My Ls is 2007 but 1st gen is 07-09 they are all the same...