LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Start up car and reinitializing after brake job DIY is completed on LS 460

Old 11-15-14, 10:02 PM
SasafrassX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up car and reinitializing after brake job DIY is completed on LS 460

New to the site and doing a DIY brake job on my 07 LS 460. I know, I have to wait a few minutes for the car to power down once turned off and then disconnect the battery negative terminal before jumping in the DIY. But when completed with the brake job and after reconnecting the battery. Is there a specific way (sequence) to start up the car?. And will i need to re-initialize anything in particular? (moon roof, windows etc.) None of the threads I have searched on the LS 460 forums say anything in detail what the final procedures are once the battery is reconnected and you are ready to start up the car for the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SasafrassX
Old 11-16-14, 03:58 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Good questions, I'll be checking in to read the answers...I'm going to be doing my brakes within the next month and had the same questions.
Old 11-16-14, 04:10 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

If you read your owner's manual, I think that the only thing that needs to be done when the battery is fully discharged or disconnected is to benchmark the TPMS. I am not sure which years this applies to but I know for sure that it applies to the '07s.
Old 11-16-14, 08:36 PM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

When I've disconnected my battery on my 07 ls460 it hasn't caused any problems that I've noticed. It does take a few minutes to 'initialise' when you first switch back on.
Old 11-16-14, 08:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnet
When I've disconnected my battery on my 07 ls460 it hasn't caused any problems that I've noticed. It does take a few minutes to 'initialise' when you first switch back on.

+1. I've had a couple of complete battery discharges (door switch-related) when the entire car was dead. After recharging the battery, the nav display simply shows a progressing thermometer bar for about 20 seconds as the systems re-initialize. No sunroof, window, TPMS issues at all.
Old 11-17-14, 06:13 PM
SasafrassX
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,

Heres an update. I was able to complete the front and rear brakes on my 07 LS 460 yesterday. There is no really sequence in terms of reconnecting the negative battery terminal and starting up the car. But here's what I did after I was finished buttoning up everything after the brake job.

1). Reconnected the negative battery terminal
2). Without putting my foot on the brake pedal. I push the start button (like if i wanted to start the car)
3). if you have the Nav system. You should see a message about HDD loading do not turn the power off. Just let the HDD start up and load (do not press the button to turn the car off)
4). Once its finished loading (I put foot on the brake pedal) and start the car.
5). Give the car a few minutes to run. All the car settings (memory seats, TPS etc.) should be the same as you had it prior to disconnecting the negative battery terminal. "Well at least mine did"
6). You should not see any idiot lights on your dash after start up.
7). Go out and test your car (bed in your brakes).

I hopes this helps everyone.

SasafrassX
Old 11-17-14, 06:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SasafrassX
Hey everyone,

Heres an update. I was able to complete the front and rear brakes on my 07 LS 460 yesterday. There is no really sequence in terms of reconnecting the negative battery terminal and starting up the car. But here's what I did after I was finished buttoning up everything after the brake job.

1). Reconnected the negative battery terminal
2). Without putting my foot on the brake pedal. I push the start button (like if i wanted to start the car)
3). if you have the Nav system. You should see a message about HDD loading do not turn the power off. Just let the HDD start up and load (do not press the button to turn the car off)
4). Once its finished loading (I put foot on the brake pedal) and start the car.
5). Give the car a few minutes to run. All the car settings (memory seats, TPS etc.) should be the same as you had it prior to disconnecting the negative battery terminal. "Well at least mine did"
6). You should not see any idiot lights on your dash after start up.
7). Go out and test your car (bed in your brakes).

I hopes this helps everyone.

SasafrassX
What about any of the navs previous destination data and radio satiation presets ?
Old 11-18-14, 01:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Good info, it makes me relieved I won't have any problems disconnecting the battery. I've had other cars that have given me hell for doing that.
Old 11-18-14, 07:30 PM
SasafrassX
Driver School Candidate

Previous destination in the nav will be gone unless they were save to the HDD (mines were all gone except my home and one other destination that some how got saved). Radio settings will be gone too. So you will have to reset those for sure.(My radio settings were all gone. I had to reset them today. No biggie!). Other than that, I haven't found anything else for the moment. But if I do, I will update everyone. Cheers!

SasafrassX
Old 11-19-14, 10:44 AM
HONDACBR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why need to disconnect the batt????

I did many brake job already and never had to disconnect the battery. May some one here tell me why do i have to disconnect the battery for this LS460 brake job??? Im planning on do my pads and rotors this weekend
Old 11-19-14, 02:49 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HONDACBR
I did many brake job already and never had to disconnect the battery. May some one here tell me why do i have to disconnect the battery for this LS460 brake job??? Im planning on do my pads and rotors this weekend
If you are NOT bleeding your brakes, then you don't have to disconnect the neg terminal of battery. Sounds like you're just swapping pads and rotors so you don't need to do anything
Old 11-19-14, 03:08 PM
HONDACBR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Putt
If you are NOT bleeding your brakes, then you don't have to disconnect the neg terminal of battery. Sounds like you're just swapping pads and rotors so you don't need to do anything
Thanks, that's what i though
Old 11-19-14, 04:12 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a front and rear pad repl. bout 1000 miles ago didn't disconnect anything... No issues thus far.
Old 11-21-14, 11:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Over and over again about whether one needs to disconnect the battery for a routine brake job. Argh.

NO!!

If you disconnect a brake line? YES...at the very least, but to TRULY do a proper bleed etc when a line is opened, you need Techstream.

There, I feel better.
Old 11-21-14, 11:47 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, get that frustration our of your system roadfrog.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start up car and reinitializing after brake job DIY is completed on LS 460