LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone tried the GoGroove Smartmini?

Old 11-13-14, 08:25 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried the GoGroove Smartmini?

Just found this online, and curious if there's anyone with good or bad reviews on it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gogroove...s/1305742961.p

Thanks!
Old 11-13-14, 09:28 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't.
You may want to put a post under the Audio, Video Forum under Special Interest as well.
Old 11-30-14, 07:32 PM
cerbum
Rookie

So, after 2 weeks of use, I can report that this works nicely.

My setup:
Iphone 6
'08 LS with ML sound system.
Existing USB cig lighter charger, 2 ports. Kingston.

Easy to get going. Plug in the audio out to the cars' aux in, and plug in the usb power right into the cig lighter under the armrest in the center console. The other USB port has a phone charging cable plugged into it.

Press & hold the button for 6 seconds, which turns on pairing with your phone. Phone paired a few seconds later. Press play and viola, music streamed wirelessly to the car.

The only downside I've found is that you appear to have to press the button on the antenna for 1 second each time you want to enable playback from the phone. Not a full re-pairing, but essentially turning on the receiver. Once on, works fine for hours on end.

Cheaper than some of the other solutions, and hides nicely in the center console.

-cerbum
Old 11-30-14, 07:50 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

All phone functions still work as normal through the car while this is plugged in? Hmmm seems pretty good. I keep an iPhone 3gs in the car plugged into the Aux jack loaded with music. But I could eliminate that if this is that good
Old 12-01-14, 06:33 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Does the mic unit have to be plugged into something causing a wire to be exposed across the console or up the control panel. Pictures seem to show an audio jack on the bottom side of the mic unit which might make it hard to place except in the charging unit with a wire exposed outside the console box.
Old 12-01-14, 07:07 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Does the mic unit have to be plugged into something causing a wire to be exposed across the console or up the control panel. Pictures seem to show an audio jack on the bottom side of the mic unit which might make it hard to place except in the charging unit with a wire exposed outside the console box.
Does the info show up on the screen?
Old 12-01-14, 07:56 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm miss understanding the reason you guys are interested in this device. An I-Phone 6 has BT, and therefore would pair with the car directly. My Samsung Galaxy S3 pairs with the car both for the phone function and the audio function (I listen to Pandora from the phone, BT'd to the car's audio system). And the S3 is a generation or 3 behind the I-Phone 6.

Seems like this GoGroove is an unnecessary intermediary ... unless your smartphone has no BT. Then a 3.5 mm wire would connect to the GoGroove, and the GoGrove would BT to the car.

But with an I-Phone 6, I don't see why you would want this device. Evidently I'm missing the point.
Old 12-01-14, 09:00 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm miss understanding the reason you guys are interested in this device. An I-Phone 6 has BT, and therefore would pair with the car directly. My Samsung Galaxy S3 pairs with the car both for the phone function and the audio function (I listen to Pandora from the phone, BT'd to the car's audio system). And the S3 is a generation or 3 behind the I-Phone 6.

Seems like this GoGroove is an unnecessary intermediary ... unless your smartphone has no BT. Then a 3.5 mm wire would connect to the GoGroove, and the GoGrove would BT to the car.

But with an I-Phone 6, I don't see why you would want this device. Evidently I'm missing the point.
The 07 - 09 LS460 only pairs the phone to bluetooth, not for music audio.
Old 12-01-14, 09:53 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Ah ... well I got lucky then, in buying a 2010.
Old 12-01-14, 04:47 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Ah ... well I got lucky then, in buying a 2010.
Yes it's certainly a nice new feature along with the USB.
Old 12-01-14, 07:35 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Originally Posted by greg3852
All phone functions still work as normal through the car while this is plugged in? Hmmm seems pretty good. I keep an iPhone 3gs in the car plugged into the Aux jack loaded with music. But I could eliminate that if this is that good
Yep. Can still make/receive calls. When looking at the phone, I see 2 BT devices connected at the same time.

-cerbum
Old 12-01-14, 07:38 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
it's got a battery in it so you could charge it and eliminate the power connection. Docs say it will last 6 hours. I just leave mine plugged in. Still have to have a connection to the aux jack. Since there is both the aux jack and a cig lighter plug inside the center console armrest, all of the wiring and the GoGroove itself disappear.

-cerbum
Old 12-01-14, 07:40 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Originally Posted by R Z
The 07 - 09 LS460 only pairs the phone to bluetooth, not for music audio.
Yeah, sort of the suck. One of the very few things I don't like about my car. I'm almost a little surprised that Lexus didn't come up with an update to the A/V system as part of a firmware update. I'd pay for it.

-cerbum
Old 12-02-14, 04:55 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbum
it's got a battery in it so you could charge it and eliminate the power connection. Docs say it will last 6 hours. I just leave mine plugged in. Still have to have a connection to the aux jack. Since there is both the aux jack and a cig lighter plug inside the center console armrest, all of the wiring and the GoGroove itself disappear.

-cerbum
I would have thought the gogroove would need to be outside the console to pick up on voice for phone calls.
Old 12-02-14, 10:19 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cerbum
Yeah, sort of the suck. One of the very few things I don't like about my car. I'm almost a little surprised that Lexus didn't come up with an update to the A/V system as part of a firmware update. I'd pay for it.

-cerbum
Absolutely! I asked the service guy if there was such an add and he didn't think so. But it would seem a no brainer to install a unit that added that bluetooth option for music.

When I asked you about the music titles showing up on the screen, I meant the Nav screen. I know it doesn't for the aux input, just wondered if somehow that unit allowed you to see what was playing from the car's screen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone tried the GoGroove Smartmini?