LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake job tonight ... anything I am missing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 02:12 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Super post! Thanks for all your time in putting it (and your new brakes) together. Wishing you smooth sailing and NO wailing.
Old 11-10-14, 03:18 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
So the brake job is done and all is well. I did spend a fair bit more time on this car, but that is because I decided to perform a few more steps than I normally have in the past. Here is the basic procedure in a nutshell:
  • Turn the car off leaving the gear selector in neutral;
  • Disconnect the negative terminal;
  • Secure the car with a couple of wheel chucks;
  • Loosen the wheel nuts;
  • Jack up the car;
  • Remove the nuts and the wheel;
  • Remove slide pin spring;
  • Remove the slide pins and the anti-rattle spring;
  • Very lightly compress the pads against the outside the caliper just enough to be able to wiggle the pads out;
  • Remove the brake sensor from one of the pads;
  • Remove the two bolts holding the caliper setting the caliper aside without straining the fuel line;
  • Remove the rotor (might need to use a removal screw to detach the rotor from the hub);
  • VERY IMPORTANT STEP Clean the brake dust/rust particles off of the hub;
  • Install new rotor;
  • Install all 5 nuts and tighten them to 103 ft-lb;
  • Measure rotor run-out (if within 0.0016 then you are okay; if your are out of that range, remove the rotor and again clean the surface between the hub and the rotor);
  • If working with the rears, rotate the rotor to see if the parking brake needs to be adjusted; if so, adjust by turning the horizontal dial inside the hub which is accessible via a 1/2in hole on the face of the rotor;
  • Install a clear vinyl tube onto the bleeder positioning it at an upward angle for a least a portion immediately following the bleeder screw (this is done so that if there is any drawing of matter back into the caliper, it will be brake fluid and not air);
  • Crack open the bleeder screw and compress the pistons back into the caliper (the fluid will be pushed out of the bleeder as the compression progresses;
  • Once all the pistons are compressed, close the bleeder screw (tightening it later on when the caliper is mounted);
  • Reinstall the caliper;
  • Grease the new pads (I reused the outside ani-squeal/anti-rattle shims from the original set);
  • Reinstall the anti-rattle springs on each pad;
  • Reinstall the sensor;
  • Reinstall the pads into the calipers;
  • Grease the slide pins and reinstall them;
  • Reinstall the anti-rattle spring holding the slide pins;
  • Reinstall the slide-pin spring;
  • Remove the wheel nuts;
  • Install the wheel and lightly tighten the wheel nuts;
  • Lower the car and tighten all 5 nuts to 103 ft-lb;
  • Repeat process for all remaining wheels;
  • Put the car in park;
  • Pump the brakes to get the pistons into their new operating position and pressurize the system;
  • Check if any fluid needs to be added to the reservoir;
  • Reconnect the battery terminal;
  • Start the car to check for any leaks/warning lights.

Although I probably would've been okay without cracking open the bleeder screw, I decided to do it because (i) I figured I'd be better off being safe than sorry, and (ii) connecting the vinyl hose in an upward direction ensured that no air was going to be getting back into the system. It's not a matter of leaving this job to a pro or not (I've pulled engines out of cars before, so I don't have a problem with changing brakes) but it's just a matter of not wanting to screw something up because I decided to forgo one simple step.

However, the one thing I never did before was measure the run-out of the rotor, and I am glad that I did. Working on the first wheel, I did everything I described up to the measurement step and when I measured the run-out, the gauge showed that I was over twice the limit. That basically meant the new rotor was wobbling. I removed it and again cleaned the surface where the hub meets the rotor. On the second go-round, the measurements were within spec and I was happy to continue the work.

After all the wheels were back on came the fun part...bedding the brakes. This is the procedure I used in the past on my ISF http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm and it is the same one I used this time around. Basically this requires two to three sets of 8 to 10 60-to-20mph hard braking routines where each set is performed without letting the brakes cool (meaning hard acceleration to 60 while performing a set) and the entire procedure of all the sets is done without coming to a stop.

In the end, the job took a while but went well. The results are smooth braking and no pulsation/vibration of any kind.
So no problem with cracking the bleeder screw? No brake warning lights, no pedal problems? I'm thinking of doing it this way when I change mine.
Old 11-10-14, 06:25 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
So no problem with cracking the bleeder screw? No brake warning lights, no pedal problems? I'm thinking of doing it this way when I change mine.
None at all. I think what helped was detaching the battery. The system was unaware of any changes because prior to the battery disconnect the brakes were just a touch away from positive pressure and the same was true upon the reconnect of the terminal. I also made it a point to basically prime the brakes by pumping the pedal before connecting the battery. Yes, the first time the pedal went to the floor and the second time it had a little bit of slack. This was because the pistons were pushed very far back. But the system wasn't on-line to detect any of this.

Also, if you are looking for a run-out gauge, take a look at Harbor Freight. They had a nice clamp dial gauge for $32.
Old 11-10-14, 08:05 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

None at all. I think what helped was detaching the battery. The system was unaware of any changes because prior to the battery disconnect the brakes were just a touch away from positive pressure and the same was true upon the reconnect of the terminal. I also made it a point to basically prime the brakes by pumping the pedal before connecting the battery. Yes, the first time the pedal went to the floor and the second time it had a little bit of slack. This was because the pistons were pushed very far back. But the system wasn't on-line to detect any of this.

Also, if you are looking for a run-out gauge, take a look at Harbor Freight. They had a nice clamp dial gauge for $32.
Excellent, thanks.
Old 10-14-15, 09:57 AM
gte819s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any help on the parking brake adjustment?
Do i remove the plug on the rotor or do i just turn the plug on the rotor? Also doesn't the hole on the rotor need to rotate to align with the adjuster? If so where is the general location?
Old 10-14-15, 12:20 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Caliper Bolts

I was told the caliper bolts are an alloy with a bit of thread lock and should be replaced when the caliper is pulled.
Old 10-14-15, 01:44 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

it is very difficult to break loose the two bolts attaching the calipers to the knuckles, be prepared..

So I need a new set of pads/rotors and I will be doing the replacement tonight. I've done these types of jobs many times before and replaces the front rotors on my ISF. Is there anything unusual about the LS?

From what I gather the steps are:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Remove the wheel
  • Remove the pads
  • Remove the caliper
  • Remove the rotor
  • Sand/clean the hub in preparation for new rotor
  • Install new rotor
  • Push pistons back into the caliper
  • Reinstall caliper
  • Clean and grease slide pins
  • Install new pads
  • Install slide pins
  • Mount the wheel
  • Repeat all around
  • Reconnect the battery cable
  • Bed the brakes via typical bedding procedures

Thanks
Old 10-15-15, 08:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
it is very difficult to break loose the two bolts attaching the calipers to the knuckles, be prepared..
FWIW, I soaked mine in PB Blaster for a couple of hours and they came off real nice.
Old 10-15-15, 09:29 AM
gte819s
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if there is a steel insert in the calipers or does the steel bolt screw into aluminum female threads?
Old 10-20-15, 09:05 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

@GTE819s
I was told the caliper bolts are an alloy with a bit of thread lock and should be replaced when the caliper is pulled.

@roadfrog
Give Kroil a try by www.kanolabs.com
Old 10-20-15, 09:59 AM
gte819s
Driver School Candidate

I just got done with the fronts and rears on a 2010 ls with the brembos. I swapped out the rotors on the rear and only replaced the front pads.

Prior to starting I called my lexus dealer as i was going to place an order for 91552-L1245 (rear bolts). Apparently the bolt issue was important with the 430 due to stretching. The tech stated that it was not as important with the 460 and there wasn't much traffic of the techs getting bolts for rotor replacements. I was told I could get away with reusing the bolt if there wasn't a corrosion issue.

I got lucky and had no effort getting the rear caliper bolts off with a 8" ratchet handle; no impact wrench needed. The rear bolts appeared to be alloy steel and there was a very light residue of red locking compound on the rears. I don't think that it was doing very much as there was no build up beyond some color on the minor diameter of the thread. I choose to go with anti-sieze for the bolts. I understand the use of loctite as it prevents loosening from vibration however it loses its capacity at high temps. I have broken assemblies loose at relativity low temps some where over 250-300 F.

I'm not sure I agree with the stretching argument. I am assuming that the steel bolt goes into the aluminum caliper with out a steel insert. This would explain the corrosion issues some people have. If the steel bolt is going into the aluminum threads the toque would elastically deform the female threads before elastically deforming the steel threads or shank. The torque required to plastically stretch the steel bolt would break the aluminum female threads.
Old 11-10-15, 08:41 PM
philnshelb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Again, if you don't hook up to Techstream, you're going to get a few lights come up on your dash (ABS and Brake light errors) if you open brake lines.

That said, there is no need to open any bleeders! All you're doing is replacing hardware. Leave the brake lines etc alone.
I agree i have done many a break job from small ricers to large industrial trucks. There is no need to introduce air into any hydraulic system.