LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vaistech IVIC-D Install, DIY or tips???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 02:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Vaistech IVIC-D Install, DIY or tips???

I finally got my hands on an ivic-d, thanks to another member here.

I would appreciate any tips or photos, diy etc, anyone can point me towards.

I have already installed the PS Bypass Module which a did a DIY on, so I'm familiar with getting everything apart, etc.

One thing I'd like to know is, how does the PS module piggyback or co-exist with the ivic-d?

I notice that the ivic-d unit has install tabs on the shell, so is it installed in a particular place? Cooling?

I will post a DIY with photos when it comes time to install it, but I was hoping there was some useful info to go with, as I have no intention of getting a shop to do it.
Old 11-06-14, 04:06 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know when you have it installed. I have the SL3B and really like it. The only reason I did not got with the iVic-DR is because I do not have the Advanced Parking feature and did not want to lose the use of the back-up camera.
Old 11-06-14, 10:40 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

If I remember correctly, the ivic does not piggy back to any of the PS harness. If you find a way to mount the module behind the stereo please share. Per previous owner, the best I could was in the glove compartment
Old 11-07-14, 05:59 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Had mine in the glove box as well. I think I've seen one in the center console under the armrest on here.
Old 11-07-14, 07:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So you guys all had these units installed professionally? Costs?
Old 11-07-14, 07:31 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Did mine myself. I pulled radio, Nav, and glove box along with center console. I also ran the hdmi cable under the center console to just alongside my seat so I could tuck the wire away when not in use. I run a power inverter inside my armrest, so I cut a small hole in the plastic near the 12v plug in the armrest to run the power wire through so there were no exposed wires.
Old 11-07-14, 07:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Did mine myself. I pulled radio, Nav, and glove box along with center console. I also ran the hdmi cable under the center console to just alongside my seat so I could tuck the wire away when not in use. I run a power inverter inside my armrest, so I cut a small hole in the plastic near the 12v plug in the armrest to run the power wire through so there were no exposed wires.
Did you also run the USB charge cable? I wonder if I'll bother, since there's already a charge port in the arm rest....
Old 11-07-14, 08:20 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you also run the USB charge cable? I wonder if I'll bother, since there's already a charge port in the arm rest....
Depending what phone you have, you may have to alternate between the mhl adapter and using the port in the arm rest. The galaxy s5 needs the usb 3.0 to charge faster, but the mhl adapter only accepts the micro usb, thus making it pain if your battery is low. You also can't use the ivic if you're plugged into your charger through the middle console. Hopefully they make a usb 3.0 mhl adapter soon.

Greg3852 is who I bought the ivic from and gave great tips.

Finally, if you can do the PS you can do the ivic
Old 11-07-14, 08:28 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I had more notes, but I can't find them right now. I'll keep looking

1) Get the ivic app from the Play Store
2) I put mine in the glovebox, but I also took out the glovebox to do it.
3) I ran my cables for the USB port, and the MHL under the shifter to alongside my seat.
4) I use a small power inverter in the center console to power my phone. I drilled a small hole in the plastic where the 12V power and AUX port are to get the power cable to my MHL so it has no wires running outside.It charges fast enough to power the phone.
5) Don't drop the screws for the nav or radio. They fall into a bottomless pit.
6) The blue video cable connects to the back of the nav, the rest to the radio.
7) Buy a small bluetooth mouse.
Old 11-07-14, 08:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome boys! Thanks.

Yes I did the PS module, so I'm not too worried, but the instructions for the ivic are generic and vague, (unlike the PS which were VERY detailed).
Old 11-07-14, 08:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

The plugs only go into one spot on the back of the radio. You will figure it out easy. The blue cable goes to the back of the nav, and again it only fits in one spot. Once you get it apart you will see. You know your stuff, so it won't even remotely give you a hard time.

Tape up the front of the console just above the radio with some painters tape so you don't scratch it taking out the radio. Ask me how I know?

Other than that, don't drop any screws. They go into no mans land.
Old 11-07-14, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

correct, ivic doen't use any harness that the ps module uses. for ivic, there is one harness at the back of the radio, and then the light blue high speed video port at the back of the navigation unit. that's it. everything else is just to the ivic brain
Old 11-08-14, 02:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What about the MHL adapter? What's it's purpose and why do I need it? Keep in mind that I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-09-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-09-14, 11:54 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
What about the MHL adapter? What's it's purpose and why do I need it? Keep in mind that I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2
It pretty much allows you to mirror whatever is on your phone screen through your micro USB port. Some devices such as the ivic-d uses a HDMI device input. This dongle-thing allows you to adapt the ivic's hdmi input to your phone's micro usb output.

I think this sums it up, I have a S5. Not too sure about your Note 2.

If you need one, stick with genuine Samsung MHL adapters, I heard knock-offs don't work too well

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29053817?w...872311&veh=sem
Old 11-09-14, 12:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
It pretty much allows you to mirror whatever is on your phone screen through your micro USB port. Some devices such as the ivic-d uses a HDMI device input. This dongle-thing allows you to adapt the ivic's hdmi input to your phone's micro usb output.

I think this sums it up, I have a S5. Not too sure about your Note 2.

If you need one, stick with genuine Samsung MHL adapters, I heard knock-offs don't work too well

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29053817?w...872311&veh=sem
Yes, I'll be sticking to a Samsug genuine adapter. The reason the knock-offs don't work is due to the difference in pins. Samsung uses 12 and the others use 5 (but sometimes include a 5-12 pin adapter).

Quick Reply: Vaistech IVIC-D Install, DIY or tips???