LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 05:48 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roadtrip

I just wanted to ask for your experiences on the 460's in regards to road trips? What do you think the strong points to the car and weak points? How many miles do you typically travel before making a pit stop for gas on a cross country road trip?

Where have you taken your car to?
How many miles have you traveled in a single day in the car?
How many people have you traveled with in the car in on a long journey?
Old 11-02-14, 07:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Good questions and I'm driving to Florida this summer so I'm interested in the answers.

I can tell you personally I drive my car between 500-600 miles a week and you can certainly get 500 miles on a tank of gas if you put the console reading set to the "current mpg" setting. It will allow you to see just how much (or little pedal pressure) to apply to get the best fuel economy.

The car is certainly more than comfortable enough to go on a long trip, I've driven up to 300 miles in a day in the thing, and there were no complaints of comfort from anyone. The only thing I'd worry about is falling asleep, because it's like driving in your living room's recliner.
Old 11-02-14, 07:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Would ANY other car be more comfortable than the LS???

Of course it's comfortable on long trips! Anytime I have passengers in the back seat, they always comment on how roomy and comfortable it is. I had two very large and tall LEO's in the back seat as we drove approx 250 miles to attend a funeral for a slain police officer and they were VERY happy back there! Note that I DO NOT have the L.
Old 11-02-14, 08:32 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

I've had two back to back days of 1,100 miles each. First day from Duluth MN to Denver CO. Second day from Denver to Southern California. My latest trip was 1850 miles spread over two and a quarter days. I'm looking for a car I can take with me on out of state work assignments. I'd really like to pick up a 460L because it seems to have everything I'm looking for. Only downside is I might also need something like a GX 470 for certain work assignments. What ever car I take the wife would most likely take over the other when I'm gone unless she decides she needs something else.
Old 11-02-14, 12:03 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

I drove my LS 460 L over 700 miles one-way to Atlanta GA. Smooth, comfortable, quiet and a journey I really enjoyed. No complaints during the 11 hr. drive except for the bugs messing up my windshield. The Lexus LS 460 is a great highway automobile and a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 11-02-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 12:32 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Our longest Leg during our 4000 + mile road trip in July and August was 644 miles. We have gone several times over 500 miles on a tank before refueling. On that leg we had an 85 year aunt in the back seat and she could not get over how comfortable it was. The car drives like a dream. We routinely drive up from Bella Vista, AR to Omaha, NE which is 408 miles door to door. We only make 1 stop at a killer little restaurant in Rock Port, so the wife can use the facilities and I can get some great chicken gizzards and livers.

Dennis
Old 11-02-14, 01:04 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

When I purchased the car last year in Florida I made a most interesting observation driving back to Maryland.
Driving a car this quiet and comfortable on a long journey creates less fatigue then you would normally encounter. The trip also seem to go by a lot quicker then I expected and the whole time I was alert.
It's not just the plush comfort but there seems to be a great deal of isolation that has an intangible effect on the body as a whole.
I have experienced something similar when switching to active headphone ear protection when I'm a the firing range. I have applied this same ear protection when I mow the lawn or operate wood working equipment and I do not feel as fatigued at the end of the day.
I'm now a big believer in the luxury experience on the general heath of the occupants much more then the fake opulence that serves no propose.
Old 11-02-14, 04:38 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
When I purchased the car last year in Florida I made a most interesting observation driving back to Maryland.
Driving a car this quiet and comfortable on a long journey creates less fatigue then you would normally encounter. The trip also seem to go by a lot quicker then I expected and the whole time I was alert.
It's not just the plush comfort but there seems to be a great deal of isolation that has an intangible effect on the body as a whole.
I have experienced something similar when switching to active headphone ear protection when I'm a the firing range. I have applied this same ear protection when I mow the lawn or operate wood working equipment and I do not feel as fatigued at the end of the day.
I'm now a big believer in the luxury experience on the general heath of the occupants much more then the fake opulence that serves no propose.
I'm really looking forward to a quiet car. I can not stand being in a noisy vehicle for extended periods of time. Thanks for your comments.
Old 11-02-14, 04:50 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LS is the perfect long trip on highway car, imo.
so comfortable, quiet and overall totally painless over long drives.
as someone said above, you really have to try not to fall asleep at the wheel...total serenity.

we took it 2 years ago from Chicago to Smoky Mountains, TN (roughly 9 hours drive each way)
what a ride! the LS LOVES cruising on highways. I feel this car was made for that, really.

Granted not the perfect family vacation car, the LS is a real cruiser.

Our 2011 Acura MDX Entertainment is the vacation car of choice for us after this year's DisneyWorld vacation.
(Chicago - Orlando - Marco Island - Charlotte, NC - Chicago. about 3k miles)

We drove it to Florida and the fact that is an SUV with ample luggage space, has the entertainment system for the kids in the back and has a 110V charging outlet for laptops and such makes it the perfect vacation car for us!

Just wish is was as comfortable as the LS!
(LS is at 11 comfort wise on a scale from 1 to 10 while the MDX is somewhere at 8.5)

Last edited by escapedcon; 11-02-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 06:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

In regards to a long road trip, I cannot think of a single weak point to this car.
Old 11-02-14, 06:46 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Weak Point:
You have to stop once every 500 miles for gas which interrupts your luxurious ride.
Oh well
Old 11-02-14, 07:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Disadvantage? Maybe not having a driver so I can relax in the executive back seat with a cool drink.
Old 11-03-14, 09:47 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

longest distances have been to Chicago for me...

i jumped in the seat in Columbus OH with 7/8th tanks of gas, and put the pedal down (average speed 76!) so i was moving over 100 for a large portion between Indianapolis and Chicago.

I never stopped once, and pulled in my uncle's driveway with 30 miles to go on the tank.

i have also done runs to Knoxville TN and back getting 26-28 mpg with 70+ average speed and hills! Once again never needing to stop on the way down or back.

And yes, i did have a driver so i could enjoy the back right seat in the executive chair!
Old 11-03-14, 11:25 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best I got was close to 32mpg on a 300 miles stretch (passing through the Smokeys in TN)

can't beat that...from a V8 "monster livingroom" on wheels
Old 11-03-14, 02:25 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Took my car to Dallas once (1700 miles, 25 hours oneway) in 29 hours, including a 3-hours overnight nap and stops for gas/burgers. Beside racking up miles on a new car, there wasn't anything negative. The car is built for going long distance in style, safety and comfort

Quick Reply: Roadtrip