LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driving with rings and the effect on the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 08:04 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Driving with rings and the effect on the steering wheel

So when I bought my '11 460L I noticed that along the top portion of the steering wheel (the lacquered portion) there is a fair amount of bumpiness. Basically it seems like the clear coat didn't cure correctly. It's not a big deal and ultimately I can live with it. However, since it does seem like a defect in the way the steering wheel was made I brought it up to the service adviser earlier today when I was dropping the car off for service. His immediate response was that the previous owner drove the car with a ring and that what I was feeling were indentations made by the ring.

While I can understand that a scratch or a chip may result from a ring riding on or banging against the wood, I find it very difficult to believe that it would actually cause waviness in the actual finish. This, of course, is beside the point that what I felt were more of protrusions rather than indentations.

So my question to you is for those who drive your cars with rings and such, have you seen those rings have any effect on the lacquered portions of your steering wheel. I didn't push the issue any further aside from the adviser who is the assistant manager saying that he will run it by the primary service manager. But I am not sure I want to let this one slide unless it really is an issue caused by the driver.

Thanks
Old 10-30-14, 08:49 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
So when I bought my '11 460L I noticed that along the top portion of the steering wheel (the lacquered portion) there is a fair amount of bumpiness. Basically it seems like the clear coat didn't cure correctly. It's not a big deal and ultimately I can live with it. However, since it does seem like a defect in the way the steering wheel was made I brought it up to the service adviser earlier today when I was dropping the car off for service. His immediate response was that the previous owner drove the car with a ring and that what I was feeling were indentations made by the ring.

While I can understand that a scratch or a chip may result from a ring riding on or banging against the wood, I find it very difficult to believe that it would actually cause waviness in the actual finish. This, of course, is beside the point that what I felt were more of protrusions rather than indentations.

So my question to you is for those who drive your cars with rings and such, have you seen those rings have any effect on the lacquered portions of your steering wheel. I didn't push the issue any further aside from the adviser who is the assistant manager saying that he will run it by the primary service manager. But I am not sure I want to let this one slide unless it really is an issue caused by the driver.

Thanks
I've had this discussion before. My wife and I both wear rings, and the wheel on our 2004 GX470, which I always use as an example, look just about the same on year 6 as it did on day one. Fine scratches? Sure. Ripples, dents or protrusions? Not a single one.

Denting of the wood (acknowledging that this is not quite what you're describing) is not easy to do, in my experience. Somehow, however, any imperfections or damage of this sort are always blamed on rings, though...
Old 10-30-14, 08:57 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by caha14
I've had this discussion before. My wife and I both wear rings, and the wheel on our 2004 GX470, which I always use as an example, look just about the same on year 6 as it did on day one. Fine scratches? Sure. Ripples, dents or protrusions? Not a single one.

Denting of the wood (acknowledging that this is not quite what you're describing) is not easy to do, in my experience. Somehow, however, any imperfections or damage of this sort are always blamed on rings, though...
For all I know the wood itself may have been warped prior to the clear coat being applied. Obviously I can't tell the thickness of the clear coat and therefore can't directly pinpoint the cause. But the idea of a ring indenting a hardened material such as a layer of clear coat as if it was play doh without cracking seems rather far fetched. I am an engineer and I like to hear things that make sense.

If the dealer maintains their position it might be worth asking Lexus Corp. for more detailed explanation via a letter.
Old 10-30-14, 09:51 AM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a CPO 2010 LS460, and I also noticed the waviness in the steering wheel clear coat. Mine is predominantly on the bottom section of the wheel. The fact that the waviness is only on the top of the wood leads me to also believe that the cause was the previous owner's rings. It's such an obvious thing that I can't believe Lexus would have allowed this as a manufacturing defect.

Perhaps if the wheel gets really hot in the summer, the clear coat softens enough to allow it to be dented?
Old 10-30-14, 09:57 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by shinbob
I purchased a CPO 2010 LS460, and I also noticed the waviness in the steering wheel clear coat. Mine is predominantly on the bottom section of the wheel. The fact that the waviness is only on the top of the wood leads me to also believe that the cause was the previous owner's rings. It's such an obvious thing that I can't believe Lexus would have allowed this as a manufacturing defect.

Perhaps if the wheel gets really hot in the summer, the clear coat softens enough to allow it to be dented?
I completely see what you are saying, but if that's the case then that is one soft clear coat that they use...which again would seem like an oversight on Lexus' part.
Old 10-31-14, 07:33 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I too wondered about my wedding ring slapping the clear coat. My LS430 actually had cracking. As much as I try to be careful, I always seem to bump my ring on the steering wheel. Wonder if I can explain to my wife, that by removing my ring, it will save my steering wheel. Hmmmmm, it's worth a try. ;-)
Old 10-31-14, 01:08 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Well the dealer just called and said that this is not something that they can replace under the warranty. I said that I don't want to press this issue right now, but I still do want to write to corporate and ask why they use such a soft finish on a steering wheel that is likely to be handled by people wearing rings.

On an unrelated note I did get my first air shock failure at a little over 30k miles. Feels good to know I am covered by the Platinum warranty for another 5 years :-)
Old 10-31-14, 03:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

No way is it from a ring. I can see a ring damaging the leather portion of the wheel, but not the wood. It's a defect in my opinion.
Old 11-02-14, 07:18 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at my wheel a little closer this weekend, with a loupe and powerful flashlight. No question, there are little dents in the clear coat / lacquer coating of the wheel. They are all on the same side of the wheel (the side that faces the driver), and they are more elongated than round dents. Furthermore, they are all roughly parallel to each other.

I can't prove it, but I'm 100% convinced they are from the previous owner's ring. I live in a very hot part of Southern California, and perhaps the owner liked to tap the wheel in unison with his/her music on hot summer days.
Old 11-03-14, 04:21 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,
My 2008 LS600hL I bought secondhand in Switzerland with 40k miles on counter, had also these very small dents in the clear coat/lacquer on top of the steering wheel... have always imagined that they came from a ring worn by a person, that was just enjoying the beat from the ML :-)...irritated me at the at that time.. but I do the same ...but do not wear rings :-)
Arvid