LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hit a deer...*&%$#*!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 02:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Having liability is on you because you can't sue a deer.
Well of course not because he's dead, but you can sue his estate.

Sorry to hear about this roadfrog. I hope you are able to come out of it better than before the accident. We've had a real problem here with an over population of deer. Two years ago my town legalized bow hunting of deer if you acquired a special permit. I think it has helped to reduce the numbers.
Old 10-29-14, 04:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

What's the coverage for hitting an animal on the road? For some reason I think I heard insurance doesn't cover it. I could be totally wrong
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'm fine, as is my partner. We both showed up for work today - teaching self-defense, arrest &control etc, and no soreness! LOL.

Insurance adjuster was awesome. She even called the tow truck to pick up my car and have it flat-bedded to the body shop. Comprehensive insurance covered the claim with a 200 dollar deductible. Also covers my car rental.

On THAT note (car rental), the guy behind the counter asked me what kind of car i had in the shop. I told him and he said, "daaaammmmnn". He then promptly advised me that he had a BMW coming back from rental in the next day or so and that he'd swap out it out for the Fusion....NO CHARGE. LOL.

I will never OWN a BMW ever again, but I'll sure as hell drive someone else's, as long as they're footing the bill!

No word yet on the damages. Cosmetically, it's very minor (needs a new bumper), but mecahnically, I think there's a few things going on. It will be a while before I get word, as they are very busy right now due to some recent rainstorms and resulting MVA's.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-29-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 04:42 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand you're extra handy and crafty, so I'm interested to see how this might play out in your favor.

Glad you're ok, blue.
Old 10-30-14, 01:18 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Sorry to hear this, let us know how the car does after everything is fixed. You're lucky you didn't hit a moose.
Old 10-31-14, 06:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Body shop called yesterday. $4,000 damage. They have ordered a new bumper and all underbody panels. The coolant leak turned out to be a small hose that disconnected. They haven't yet dug into the steering or suspension, so the estimate may climb.
Old 10-31-14, 06:27 AM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember they build cars everyday,you and your family's safety is what is important .

I punched a nice buck opening day of deer season a few years ago in my LS 430 near the Nevada Colorado Border. I marked the waypoint on my GPS, and stopped in the next town, and found two hunters and gave them the coordinates .They were gone in a flash to get their deer

The Buck had flipped in the air and broken it's neck on landing. Damage to my car was 7K (Light, hood , bumper, front fender, etc
Old 10-31-14, 10:00 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad you and others in the car are OK.

Body shop do this all time, so don't worry about it. Make sure they use OEM and not those 'like OEM' parts. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-31-14, 10:15 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Glad you and others in the car are OK. Body shop do this all time, so don't worry about it. Make sure they use OEM and not those 'like OEM' parts. Good luck and keep us posted.
What he said OEM parts only!!!
Old 10-31-14, 12:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Body shop called yesterday. $4,000 damage. They have ordered a new bumper and all underbody panels. The coolant leak turned out to be a small hose that disconnected. They haven't yet dug into the steering or suspension, so the estimate may climb.
What you should do is say that it hesitates after you hit the deer, then the insurance company will have to pay for new heads...it's worth a try. Lol!
Old 10-31-14, 05:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
What you should do is say that it hesitates after you hit the deer, then the insurance company will have to pay for new heads...it's worth a try. Lol!
Or my control arm bushings are shot as a result of running over the deer?? LOL
Old 10-31-14, 06:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Glad you and others in the car are OK.

Body shop do this all time, so don't worry about it. Make sure they use OEM and not those 'like OEM' parts. Good luck and keep us posted.
Originally Posted by Tee
What he said OEM parts only!!!
In Massachusetts you can only require OEM parts if the car is only so many years old. I forget the number, but I think it is something like 3 years. A woman hit my rear bumper about a year ago and it had to be replaced. The insurance company refused to authorize use of an OEM bumper and there was nothing I could do about it. Frankly though I challenge anyone to tell it isn't original. However, that might not hold true for other parts.
Old 10-31-14, 07:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not terribly concerned about OEM as long as the job is done correctly and LOOKS original. My insurance company guarantees/warranties the repair work for as long as I own the car. In addition, here in B.C., you have 2 years to follow up with any other issues that crop up after the accident.
Old 11-01-14, 11:58 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DAMN... glad you're good. that's my #1 fear at night on these dark *** GA roads. i tell my wife to be on the lookout for a deer coming out of the woods.
Old 11-03-14, 08:23 AM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are ok, Roadfrog!
Old 11-03-14, 08:54 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your baby getting banged up. Sounds like she's on her way to a recovery. Glad you're unharmed.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer...*&%$#*!!!!