LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation died

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 07:48 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation died

Hello

As you all know a few weeks ago we purchased a brand new 2014 Lexus LS460L.

Well today I had to drive to a university dorm to pick up a student and I entered the address and drove there with the instructions.

When I got to the entrance to the university the nav system announced "you have arrived at your destination" and stopped. Now this is a large college campus and I even had imputed the specific address. So I called again and they told me that is all the information they had.

So I had to drive around campus for almost an hour to find the correct address.

Does anybody else have these problems as I would have thought for as much as I paid for the car it should have flown me there and cooked a pizza.

Thanks
Old 10-27-14, 07:59 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's when you whip out your smartphone to finish the nav job the Lexus started. After all, its not like you paid something ridiculous like $75k or something for the car ... oh.
Old 10-27-14, 08:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When you say the "navigation died" do you mean that it is no longer working? Do you have other functions on the screen, such as audio and climate? From your description it almost sounds like it was working but didn't have the address of a private road.
Old 10-27-14, 09:23 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Sorry for being unclear what I meant was it worked until it got me to the university but had NO directions to anyplace at the university. It was working just not up to my expectations.
Old 10-27-14, 09:43 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus tech integration generally and nav in particular is a perennial weakness of the brand - and nowhere more so than in the LS.
Old 10-28-14, 04:55 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Don't be so quick to blame the Navi system. If the destination you entered is considered a private road, it may well route you to the location, but it won't take you to the front door. It will get you as close as possible without
leaving the public roadways.

Frequently, streets within the boundary of a college campus are considered private roads.

I've got version 13 on my system, and if I program a destination that is on a private road, the system tells me that the route includes private roads and that the navigation cannot continue beyond the limit of public roadways.
Try selecting that destination again (you may need to go into the system options and delete the destination - I don't know the process for that on a 2014 interface) - see if it says anything about a private road.
Old 10-28-14, 06:42 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Any car with Navigation - limited
Smart Phone with Navigation - Priceless
In an LS 460 you're paying for the engine, transmission, creature comforts and the envy of your students.
Perhaps you could find a campus map at the admin building or online.

Last edited by jlawr; 10-28-14 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 06:47 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesatl
Hello

As you all know a few weeks ago we purchased a brand new 2014 Lexus LS460L.

Well today I had to drive to a university dorm to pick up a student and I entered the address and drove there with the instructions.

When I got to the entrance to the university the nav system announced "you have arrived at your destination" and stopped. Now this is a large college campus and I even had imputed the specific address. So I called again and they told me that is all the information they had.

So I had to drive around campus for almost an hour to find the correct address.

Does anybody else have these problems as I would have thought for as much as I paid for the car it should have flown me there and cooked a pizza.

Thanks
Are you able to share with us the address that your car was unable to navigate to?
Old 10-28-14, 07:06 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrian63
If the destination you entered is considered a private road, it may well route you to the location, but it won't take you to the front door. It will get you as close as possible without leaving the public roadways.
This is the likely reason. Googlemaps (cellphone) appear to be better than Navteq maps when it comes to unregistered private roads.
Old 10-28-14, 08:22 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

I run into the same problem when I ask it to take me on a Military Base. The roads are not in the map data and they should not be. It's kind a of like I got you to the front gate, "Good Luck".

Dennis
Old 10-28-14, 09:01 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJWLDW

The roads are not in the map data and they should not be.
Huh? If they're on Google Earth (Maps), they're known to the world and therefore should be made useful by inclusion in nav systems. What's the basis for your opinion above?
Old 10-28-14, 12:32 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

williakz

As a retired Army Master Sergeant I am just not comfortable with laying out exactly where everything is on a military base. I know most everything is now covered by Google Earth and that is just a fact of life. I spent a lot of years protecting the fact that those photos were that good and how we got them.

Dennis
Old 10-28-14, 03:17 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Barn, horse, door. Sorry for the disappointing end to your years of protecting secrecy, but what was private (secure) then is NOT private (secure) now, so I don't see any reason - nostalgia notwithstanding - not to make productive use of information that is clearly in the public realm. And by the way, thank you for your many years of service.
Old 10-29-14, 07:26 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Thanks williakz it was my pleasure . I know my thinking is a little outdated.

Dennis
Old 11-01-14, 08:25 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Charlesatl: the new Lexus app suite allows you to search for places using their Bing search engine. You can then save that location on the app. Now get into your car, start the app on your smartphone, then go into the menu on your Lexus, go to apps, connect to your phone. You will then see an option for "saved destinations". Press that and the saved destinations on your phone will be synced to your car. You can then chose one of those saved destinations.

I have been able to get directions to addresses that do not come up when I try entering them manually. It will take you to the closest intersection if the address is not available on the navigation map provided by Navteq.

The Lexus enform app suite is now subscription free, you don't need a subscription to Enform Destinations. That is a pain to use as you have to go to a computer find the destination, save it to a folder and sync to your car. -- Too many steps!!