LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Akebono brakes and wow what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 12:05 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Akebono brakes and wow what a difference!

I ordered Akebono brake pads because of everyone's suggestion and wow what a difference! The brakes are no longer grabby an feel very linear. It is a huge improvement and I wish I had done this when I first bought my car! I originally had planned to replace my rotors as well but listened to this forum and the salesman at A place for Brakes who said to just get them turned.

I also had planned to do the work myself however after reading about some of your horror stories, I decided to take my car to my local Toyota dealer who installed them for no charge since I had all 4 brake rotors turned for a total of $250 plus the cost of the brake pads.

Thanks guys for all the advice you have given me on these brakes!
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (07-25-18)
Old 10-26-14, 12:47 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. There are many good things about knowledge that can be found on these forums. Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 10-26-14, 01:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Cregeis, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait to you realize that your wheels never get dirty.

After I saw the results with the Akebono pads on my car, I bought new ones for my wife's car. She didn't need new pads, but with her regular pads two days after I washed her car the wheels looked like they they had never been touched. Now with the Akebono pads the wheels are cleanest thing on the car!
Old 10-26-14, 02:14 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I would wait a good amount of miles before I would judge a brake pad as they need time to break in.
Usually they are a lot less grabby and fade until the surfaces get seated and material removed.
Having less grabby is a good thing because you get a lot more modulation. If these pads are less dusty then the OEM it would be a big plus and something I would consider.
Old 10-26-14, 08:38 PM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind posting up which model of the Akebono pads you have (ProACT or Ultra Performance)? I am also looking into these pads as well. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-14, 10:13 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

I got the Pro Act pads. I was going to replace my rotors as well but the gentleman I ordered my brakes from said that as long as the rotors could be turned then the new pads would not warp the rotors. As others have said, I am not really so sure my rotors were warpped as the pulsating would come and would go away. Anyway, I did have the Toyota dealer turn the rotors and the mechanic said only the back were slightly warpped.

Again, i would highly recommend changing pads to anyone unhappy with the OEM brakes as the difference is phenomenal!
Old 10-27-14, 04:50 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
I got the Pro Act pads. I was going to replace my rotors as well but the gentleman I ordered my brakes from said that as long as the rotors could be turned then the new pads would not warp the rotors. As others have said, I am not really so sure my rotors were warpped as the pulsating would come and would go away. Anyway, I did have the Toyota dealer turn the rotors and the mechanic said only the back were slightly warpped.

Again, i would highly recommend changing pads to anyone unhappy with the OEM brakes as the difference is phenomenal!
Thanks for the feedback. This is on my list of things to do as well!
Old 12-08-14, 06:47 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Quick update now that I have had the new pads for several weeks. The pads are every bit as good as the OEM pads. The brakes are much more linear and they are no longer grabby. The only drawback is they do put out more brake dust than the OEM pads in my opinion. I would still highly recommend them.
Old 12-09-14, 08:54 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi
I have a 2008 LS 600hL and on Akebono's site it says for my car:
2008 LS600h : Exc. Active Sway Bar

Means that this is EXCLUDING models with Active Sway Bar's ?? Thought all LS's with air came with active Sway Bars ??????

Will this say these are for or not for my model ???

When I contacted Akebono I got this reply:

For the US models I show
Front = OE # 04465-0W110 = Akebono # ACT1282
Rear = OE# 04466-0W020 = Akebono # ACT1283

and where can I get them cheapest ??

Regards
Arvid
Old 12-09-14, 10:34 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I bought mine from placeforbrakes.com. I think they are price competitive. Shipping is free and they ship fast.
Old 12-09-14, 11:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
Hi

and where can I get them cheapest ??

Regards
Arvid
These are 50 bucks on ebay for the front (ACT 1282) and 40 for the rears (ACT 1283) and includes free shipping. Doubt you'll find them cheaper anywhere else.

Last edited by roadfrog; 12-09-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-09-14, 11:53 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default LS 460 vs LS 460L

So I went to the place for brakes web page and plug in my car which is a 2010 LS 460L. It showed the Act 1282 ($59.90) and Act 1283 ($50.37) Just want to make sure that there is no difference in the brake pads for the SWB 460 vs the 460L. Also I do not have air will this make a difference?

Dennis
Old 12-09-14, 01:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It's settled then...I'm putting pads on next month and I'll go with the akebono pads.
Old 12-09-14, 02:44 PM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick update now that I have had the new pads for several weeks. The pads are every bit as good as the OEM pads. The brakes are much more linear and they are no longer grabby. The only drawback is they do put out more brake dust than the OEM pads in my opinion. I would still highly recommend them.
really??????? i always thought the hype around these pads were less dust
Old 12-09-14, 03:57 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lex460l
really??????? i always thought the hype around these pads were less dust
Same here. If there is more dust then the OEM then I will choose something else.

Quick Reply: New Akebono brakes and wow what a difference!