LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on a 2013 AWD w/ 14k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 07:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It's quiet possible that it's made by Fujitsu-10 as are most Toyota's. Fujitsu-10 makes the Eclipse head units which were at one time some of the best money could buy.

From what I understand Mark Levinson doesn't make the Mark Levinson system.
It's just a sold so called "consulting" bought badge just like Sony Zeiss and Panasonic Leica.
It might be a great system no doubt but sadly I don't think it's the real deal.
For someone who has actually listened to a $100K Mark Levinson system, I will tell you it's really mind blowing gear and the detail is really wild.

I would be shocked if Mark Levinson just allowed someone to put their name on something with so, so quality. It would be about the quality of the system and the amplification in the system

There are many people in this world, and people with different quality of listening. I remember when I worked at a high end Audio/Video store years ago, I could let 10 people listen to a $50K audio setup, and then compare them to a $1200 system. 2 of them could clearly hear the difference, 4 of them would say "sounds a little better, the other 4 could not hear any difference or even care about it accept they can hear it and it sounds fairly good. ANd even after I told them about the tech differences between them.

Personally, I love the ML system in the LS, a lot better than anything I have heard in the past in a car, maybe close was when I had a $7K car audio system at one point (discounts at a/v store and I am not talking about a car that would BOOM down a street) for being crisp and clear with great detail.
Old 10-27-14, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
For someone who has actually listened to a $100K Mark Levinson system, I will tell you it's really mind blowing gear and the detail is really wild.

I would be shocked if Mark Levinson just allowed someone to put their name on something with so, so quality. It would be about the quality of the system and the amplification in the system

There are many people in this world, and people with different quality of listening. I remember when I worked at a high end Audio/Video store years ago, I could let 10 people listen to a $50K audio setup, and then compare them to a $1200 system. 2 of them could clearly hear the difference, 4 of them would say "sounds a little better, the other 4 could not hear any difference or even care about it accept they can hear it and it sounds fairly good. ANd even after I told them about the tech differences between them.

Personally, I love the ML system in the LS, a lot better than anything I have heard in the past in a car, maybe close was when I had a $7K car audio system at one point (discounts at a/v store and I am not talking about a car that would BOOM down a street) for being crisp and clear with great detail.
And from what I read, the ML system in our cars has one of the lowest distortion levels at .1% which makes up for the comparitively low 450 watts power.
Old 10-27-14, 12:53 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Personally I wouldn't spend $60k with out ML system. Again if it is for news and sports listening it may not make much difference. But if you are a music lover, this is a must have.

I believe it was in 'The Lexus Story' (
http://www.amazon.com/The-Lexus-Story-Behind-The-Scenes-Automotive/dp/0971793573 http://www.amazon.com/The-Lexus-Story-Behind-The-Scenes-Automotive/dp/0971793573
) book that I read that ML engineers working in hand with Toyota engineers to fine tune audio system to re-produce high fidelity music experience. I highly doubt ML would outsource that to some body.

Roadfrog is on spot when he said about 0.1% THD. You can find directly on their (ML) website ( http://www.marklevinson.com/mark-levinson-in-lexus.html )

You may find more specifics about LS with ML here : http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-ls.html

Autobytel review of 2012 460L ML can be found here (starts at 3.19). He heard that similar system to setup at home would cost around $30k.

I have a $10k system at home and that is no much to this ML. This is coming from a guy who refuses to listen to mp3 due to lack of its sound stage and clarify.
Old 10-27-14, 01:48 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Without any of the major packages (F-Sport, Luxury, Advanced Pre-Collision, etc), $62k for a 2013 is a tad on a pricey side, even with a low 14k miles. The BSM and Comfort packages are of very little enhancement to what basically a very basic LS. If I spend $60k for a car I would look for more features and a little more miles is fine.
Old 10-27-14, 03:01 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I remember when I worked at a high end Audio/Video store years ago,.... 4 of them would say "sounds a little better, the other 4 could not hear any difference or even care about it accept they can hear it and it sounds fairly good.
Dave, I'm somewhere in between the first 4 and the last 4!
Old 11-01-14, 08:30 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

ML on the 2010 - 2012 LS is nowhere as good at the ML on the 2007 - 2009 models. ML on the 2014 is slightly better. However there is only a single CD/DVD player (no 6 slot changer) and it no longer plays DVD - Audio discs.
Old 11-01-14, 09:00 AM
Mitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the ear for the high end stuff. Simplicity and design mean more to me since I really can't differentiate a med tier system from a high end one. Give me a Sonos Play 5 in a medium sized room and I'm good to go. Looks decent, I can locate it anywhere in the room near a power source and I can control it with my phone and listen to any song in the universe.

For the LS, color, model (L or SWB), and drivetrain would all factor into my decision before ML. Also, would much rather have a heated steering wheel than ML....it snowed last night....first measurable snow on Halloween in my area (Chicagoland) since they've been keeping track.
Old 11-01-14, 09:23 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
ML on the 2010 - 2012 LS is nowhere as good at the ML on the 2007 - 2009 models. ML on the 2014 is slightly better. However there is only a single CD/DVD player (no 6 slot changer) and it no longer plays DVD - Audio discs.
Really? They do not have a 6 disk changer anymore? Well that's just dumb. Doesn't make any sense to me.