LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tired of my LS460 but now love it again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 06:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
I too am surprised at Hyundai. They have stepped up their game drastically and continue to do so. The new Genesis and Equus are really nice. In this article they are comparing it to the LS460.

http://2016newcarsblog.com/2015-hyun...del-2015/#page
I have read some of the other publications where they compare it to the LS460 and mention they are close as if copied.
I really want to be in Hyndai's corner and which to see them succeed however they are not doing what Toyota did in the 80s with building a strong foundation from the ground up. Hyndai's existence is to be a cheaper alternative to the Japanese makes but they are still not up to par and will rest on their laurels as they have always did. They had plenty of time to prove themselves but choose not to and when they party is over, their cars fit and finish will dissolve and depreciate like rocks just as it did before.
I had high hopes for the Genesis especially with all of the advertising that they are taking the next step but after test driving a used one I can see why they will always be in the back seat.
Old 10-22-14, 09:06 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I really want to be in Hyndai's corner and which to see them succeed however they are not doing what Toyota did in the 80s with building a strong foundation from the ground up. Hyndai's existence is to be a cheaper alternative to the Japanese makes but they are still not up to par and will rest on their laurels as they have always did.
Well, that was then and this is now. Lexus went the extra mile in the early 90's to establish themselves; the stories of customer care were legendary. Fast forward 20 years and they are just another car manufacturer looking to cut corners and cut costs. I have owned numerous BMW and Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the years and, within a given price bracket, they have been comparable in quality and reliability (Consumer Reports notwithstanding).
Old 10-22-14, 11:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, that was then and this is now. Lexus went the extra mile in the early 90's to establish themselves; the stories of customer care were legendary. Fast forward 20 years and they are just another car manufacturer looking to cut corners and cut costs. I have owned numerous BMW and Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the years and, within a given price bracket, they have been comparable in quality and reliability (Consumer Reports notwithstanding).
Customer service is at an all time low across the board especially at the dealerships. What would have been considered generosity on their part to earn your business has now turned into nickel and diming the customer.
Hyundai had plenty of opportunity to fill a void with an alternative that was lower priced but they never could get the quality to be on par with Honda or Toyota. What they lacked in name they made up for in a longest warranty which I thought was a game changer but it proved not to be.
Hyundai tried to be that game changer ever since they entered the market with the Excel at its price point in the 80s but still failed to bring their brand presence to prominence. Every new iteration of reviving the brand was an illusion in marketing to make it seem they had a major turnaround as a 2nd tier car maker has proven to be a failure.

Hyundai had plenty of time to be an industry leader or at the very least viable competition that didn't have to be the cheaper alternative but they will never amount to anything until they change from their foundation and make one solid car that is a hit.
Old 10-22-14, 01:11 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i didn't get to drive, but i was able to jump inside a new 750li at the BMW dealer down the road, and was surprised by the lack of creature comforts you got for the $$$$$$. i mean no buttons in the back to fiddle with? lol

i have to be honest the leather quality didn't strike me as anything special either and was given a very mediocre view on the car, whatever, i guess you have to be a beemer guy...
Old 10-22-14, 02:17 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by peteybabes
i didn't get to drive, but i was able to jump inside a new 750li at the BMW dealer down the road, and was surprised by the lack of creature comforts you got for the $$$$$$. i mean no buttons in the back to fiddle with? lol

i have to be honest the leather quality didn't strike me as anything special either and was given a very mediocre view on the car, whatever, i guess you have to be a beemer guy...
I noticed this with the current iteration of the 5 series as well. I test drove a 2011 CP0 and the interior was Honda economy car like. The layout was very different then my Chris Bangle edition 5 series. There is nothing wrong with Honda ergonomics but I was expecting a little more of a European layout and feel.
The Lexus feels like Japanese luxury and you can see that in it's DNA that it's basically a big Toyota, however the materials don't disappoint.
Old 10-22-14, 02:56 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
i have had 5 BMWs and 2 Mercedes, which is why I am driving a Lexus now. My favorite car was my 2001 BMW 740iL but I swear I paid for that car twice because of all of the repairs.
Same story here with my previous e38 (1998).

Timing chain guides failure was the final straw after having the heads redone just a few months previously!

Old 10-22-14, 04:37 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver surfer, you are correct that I shoild compare the LS to the 750Li and the S550 and I actually did when I bought my LS and obviously chose the LS. Recently I have been looking at an SUV to switch things up. The Impala was a rental car. At this point with comparable mileage, my BMWS had to have numerous suspension parts replaced, a radiator (first of three) replaced and many trim pieces like the cup holder, etc. The Benzs were better but we're still in the shop significantly more than my LS. If reliably of BMWS or Mercedes were equal to Lexus, I would still have a tough time leaving my LS. All of the other cars drove like junk!
Old 10-22-14, 04:53 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Sometimes you take a long round trip and arrive at the same place you started. But, you are wiser for having taken the trip, and far more satisfied knowing you proved your original selection was the best one after all.

This can apply to many things.
Old 10-22-14, 05:05 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

I like that Tec80!!!
Old 10-22-14, 06:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Same story here with my previous e38 (1998).

Timing chain guides failure was the final straw after having the heads redone just a few months previously!

Ditto with my E65 BMW 7 series. What piece of shat. Drama, drama, drama....all day long. Good riddance and I LOVE my LS i replaced it with.
Old 10-23-14, 04:30 AM
triniexr
Driver

Originally Posted by peteybabes

I have never been a BMW fan... the interior is very bland.. some Honda's have nicer interiors.

I like the interior of the LS a lot more than any BMW out there, new LS blows them away.

I like my S Class' interior and my old Porsche Cayanne Turbo's. I looked at buying a Maserati and I backed out after seeing the interior in person. The interior is what I have to see and what I look at during my time inside the vehicle. That's the most important aspect of a vehicle for me, I have to be physically and visually comfortable.
Old 10-23-14, 05:41 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm surprised about your Maserati observation, I've always like the stitched interior and distinct piping on the seats, which model were you looking at?
Old 10-23-14, 05:56 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GregoryNP
OMG, I am in the same boat. There should be car counselors...when the love disappears! LOL
Lol Club Lexus hot line callers remain anonymous
Old 10-23-14, 01:36 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Interesting statement about the Impala. I drove one a few days ago and they are actually pretty nice. Not a Lexus type ride, but nice.
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Slvr surfr - I'm impressed with the new S class and actually looked at one but never went for a test drive. I've never been impressed with any Jaguar. Personally I would buy a new Impala over the two cars of caliber. I could test drive the two but I'm so contented with my LS 460 even if MB and Jaguar offered a 50% discount I would keep my LS without any doubt. The Lexus LS 460 is a car I love to own and a car I love to drive. I'm just a die hard Lexus fan. Lexus the pursuit of perfection. lol.
Old 10-23-14, 05:54 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoy looking for the next best thing. Cars have always been a hobby of mine. After driving fast cars for years I'm finding out that a luxury vehicle might be perfect for the next long term daily driver. The wife and I enjoy getting out of town on weekends and I would prefer a quiet car over the typical economy boxes on the market.