LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Certified" process - discrepancy question

Old 10-15-14, 10:58 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Certified" process - discrepancy question

So I was looking at this LS----L model, I wont specify because I dont really wanna put that dealer on the spot. But it is CERTIFIED, its a true lexus dealer, and a large one at that.

1 owner, clean carfax guarantee. CPO vehicle. But when I put the VIN into the LexusDriver webpage and pulled the maintenance, it was in an accident. It showed the Collision center repaired all 4 alloys, replaced the front and rear bumpers, AND the hood all at one time. Personally, I dont give two craps about this, but how does it get certified, AND have a clear carfax yet have been wrecked??
Old 10-15-14, 11:23 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Carfax does not guarantee that a car has never been in an accident and a vehicle can be CPO 'd even after some collision.
Old 10-15-14, 11:50 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Unhappy

You made the effort to do some research on the CERTIFIED LS before you purchased it. Smart. Personally I wouldn't buy that one.
Old 10-15-14, 01:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

You need to read between the lines especially when it comes to anything car related.
As I said before certified means nothing except a marketable way to give customers the feel good experience for their own ego.
It's a billon dollar industry where they work with focus groups with tried and proven techniques to fool so called educated people to gain your trust.
Starbucks have been doing it for years.
Old 10-15-14, 04:58 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Just did research on this, dealer can certify as long as 3 or less panels are replaced/painted excluding the bumpers. number goes up to 4 if Lexus certified body shop does the work. paint should not be thicker than 11 on a paint meter. if you buy the car, make sure all paint work is noted in the inspection report, otherwise it will be your problem if they discover any mechanical issues nearby. If Carfax and/or service records has anything about an accident don't buy it, it will hunt you when you trade in/sell.
Old 10-15-14, 08:32 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Thats what i find odd. Is that it was on the lexusdriver page, but nothing else. But 4 panel max at the Lexus shop, so what about the alloys? Do they count toward the 4? Im confused about it all. I just want to make sure I can get extended warranty, and not **** around with things like this. I could probably use it as leverage for a price drop, but again, do I want this model?? Im not really sure why I care so much about the warranty, it runs out on the kia in 5000 miles and ive had that thing in the shop more than my ancient lexus...

It explicitly states, well, here is the pic:

Old 10-16-14, 03:57 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't think it was in an accident. Looks like they repainted both bumpers and the hood probably due to rock damage, etc... It was done at the time the car was put on the lot so it makes sense.
Old 10-16-14, 04:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I don't think it was in an accident. Looks like they repainted both bumpers and the hood probably due to rock damage, etc... It was done at the time the car was put on the lot so it makes sense.
Agree. It looks like they went right though it prior to sale. Leather rescue, fix all four wheels, etc. they spent some time on it.
Old 10-16-14, 06:34 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Fix 4 alloys probably = take care of curb rash and such. If you are buying from the same dealer that did the work simply ask them to produce detailed records of all that was done. If they say they can't because of pricing information and such, simply tell them to remove any information they don't want you to see but to still show you all that was done. Also tell them that a bumper respray won't affect the deal (this way they know that you won't walk away as soon as you see the body work), but that you simply want to have proof in writing showing what the car went through.

I went through this with the dealer that sold me my car and while it took a little bit of coercion, they showed me all that was done and I happily bought the car.
Old 10-16-14, 09:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

The fact that the car may have had curb rash on all four wheels raises my suspicion that the car was neglected by a bad driver that kept hitting things. I don't discount a car for just curb rash but it's one of the flags I use to determine how the car was treated. It's very well possible that the lease held that person accountable and they paid for the damages when it was turned in.
Old 10-16-14, 09:25 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Agree, get details of what they have done to the bumpers and hood and you should be ok. It is probably scratches, chips and minor stuff to make the car look fresh.
Old 10-16-14, 12:47 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

interesting, so lexus will replace/repair panels just from rock damage?? Merc never did that lol threw it out there with rock chips and all. I assumed it was a wreck because the bumpers and the hood sounds like it was sandwiched, and then the rims, I wasnt really sure.

Is information like this any good on my side for negotiations, or is it just another one of those things that made the price as good as it is?
Old 10-16-14, 01:42 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Rather than that, I suspect the car was involved in a front/rear freeway shunt. Unfortunately, this WILL eventually show up on carfax to the detriment of the resale value.

There are better CPO cars available.
Old 10-16-14, 02:12 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by cgawelko
interesting, so lexus will replace/repair panels just from rock damage?? Merc never did that lol threw it out there with rock chips and all. I assumed it was a wreck because the bumpers and the hood sounds like it was sandwiched, and then the rims, I wasnt really sure.

Is information like this any good on my side for negotiations, or is it just another one of those things that made the price as good as it is?
Many dealers will re spray the bumpers to enhance the appearance of the car. It comes at a small cost to the dealer and allows a higher price tag to be put on a car. In my opinion it is not a bad thing as rock chips are inevitable and as long as the re spray is done professionally, the end result will be a cleaner looking car.

Like I said in my earlier post, rather than asking all of us what may or may not have happened to this particular car, ask the dealer. If they want to deal with you they will tell you and show you written proof. Once you know what was done you can either walk away or use that as a bargaining chip.
Old 10-16-14, 03:06 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

dealer should give you the carfax, also ask for Autocheck. If it has an accident don't buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Certified" process - discrepancy question