LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Certified" process - discrepancy question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 11:59 AM
KevinJLR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Many dealers will re spray the bumpers to enhance the appearance of the car. It comes at a small cost to the dealer and allows a higher price tag to be put on a car. In my opinion it is not a bad thing as rock chips are inevitable and as long as the re spray is done professionally, the end result will be a cleaner looking car.

Like I said in my earlier post, rather than asking all of us what may or may not have happened to this particular car, ask the dealer. If they want to deal with you they will tell you and show you written proof. Once you know what was done you can either walk away or use that as a bargaining chip.
I agree. I see cars that are traded in often that have dent repairs, paint touch-ups, wheels repaired/replaced. Especially if it's going to be a CPO car. They want those looking as close to brand new as possible for the highest resale price.

Also, like Ascari said, just ask them. They SHOULD be willing to show you the records if they think you'll actually buy the car. Just be smart with the info that you get from them to make the best decision.
Old 10-18-14, 05:51 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Certified means nothing more than a dealer having their grease monkey do a once over. Some of these guys might actually look at all 100+ points on the car. But I would highly doubt that they really pay attention to more than a handful of items on the checklist.

Is it worth the premium they are charging for the vehicle? Do you have to have a dealer car? Is the warranty a must have? If the car has been in an accident than pass on it. Not all body shops report to carfax. As with any used vehicle you should educate yourself on how to spot prior damage. Look at the gaps on the doors, hood and trunk. Make sure all lights are perfectly straight & align correctly in the body. Search panels for overspray. If you can get the car in the air on a lift inspect the underside for any signs of a bent frame. Make sure everything is straight.

This is a high dollar purchase and one you will be stuck with so make sure it's everything you want. As for haggling them down on price they won't come down as much as they should. If the car was in an accident I wouldn't pay more than 70% of middle blue book value for a car with damage history. It will affect its resale value and a dealer won't come down enough to cover the hit on the opposite end when you sell.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time than resale wont matter as much. Let us know what you find out about the car.