LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mechanically inclined?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 06:06 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mechanically inclined?

After viewing the forums for a few days I've noticed there are quite a few people who are credit card mechanics. I'm wondering how many people who own the LS 460 wrench on their own vehicles. What surprises me is the mark up that goes into parts and labor. I've also been looking into the GX 470. On the GX I can get all factory parts needed to do a 90K maintenance for $335. The average cost at the dealer for this service is $1800. It would be a weekend project and one that is very doable for someone who is mechanically inclined.

For the LS 460 I'm looking into common parts and their respective replacement costs.

I'm really surprised at the gas mileage and leaning towards it. Coming from sportbikes and sports cars I'm now at a point in life that I want to slow down a little. Will be starting a family in the near future. The last bike almost cost me my life as a car pushed me off the road into boulders. 15 broken bones and a plate & 7 screws left wrist for the left wrist.

Still have a goldwing to sell and looking forward to a Lexus. I'm a firm believer that Toyota is one of the most reliable vehicles made. With Lexus being the cream of the crop it's an easy decision. I just want to get something that was well maintained. I'm sure I'll be driving the vehicle for 100K-150K miles. I typically don't get rid of vehicles very often. I'm at a point in my career where I can afford a nice used one as I refuse to take a loan out on a vehicle. If I can't pay cash I'm not getting it.

Who does their own maintenance? How do you find this engine to work on compared to other cars? Any particular things to look out for? I know about the common problem: control arms, drivers seat, $700 amp for the ML sound system.

What type of tires do most people recommend?

Anyone here know how hare/soft the clear coat is on the LS? I detail my own vehicles and make sure that they stay in tip top condition. I typically spend 20+ hours getting them near perfect paint wise then start on the rest of the car.
Old 10-13-14, 06:37 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I do my own maintenance and I must say unless you are pretty darn mechanically inclined, I wouldn't buy this car unless you are willing to have lexus work on it. Open the hood and remove the covers...tell me if you'd like to work on that thing? Then get under it and try to see how much space is on the sides between the engine and sides of the engine compartment, there is none. To get at the intake manifold you have to remove more wiring harnesses than I have ever seen. This car has conventional fuel injection and direct injection, that's two different fuel systems in one car. Yikes!

The brakes look like they are a piece of cake to do. The spark plugs aren't bad to do. The air filters are easy to do, even though there are two of them for one throttle body. The e brake system is a electronic cable style - to remove it you must remove the rear suspension...think about that...if you have a problem with the e brake electronic motor you will spend 2k to fix it. The car has electric steering, I believe a new rack is 2k, not including labor. I saw a used one on eBay for $500, I almost bought it but I didn't want to jinx myself.

The water pump looks easy to do. There is no timing belt, so that's nice.

So it's up to you, they drive nice...I don't think they are an unreliable car, but if it does break?? Watch out because it's not a piece of cake to work on.

As for the paint, I think it's not in bmw's class.

I think if you're looking for a lexus that's easier to work on maybe try the es 350, it's just a Camry, but much quieter, nicer, but easy enough to work on. The LS 460 is a whole other animal, but it's twice the car in looks, performance, prestige, etc.

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-13-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 07:07 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A "credit card mechanic?" Well, now.
Old 10-14-14, 06:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
After viewing the forums for a few days I've noticed there are quite a few people who are credit card mechanics.

Will be starting a family in the near future.

I'm willing to bet many here are mechanically inclined, but choose not to work on their own cars as they rather do other things. When I was younger (not too long ago ), you could ask me to tear down engines on weekends and I'd do it. Nowadays, I'm more reluctant to do so and would rather spend my time with my family. A lot of LS owners are also older than your average IS250/350 guys too. Just a shift in priority I suppose.
Old 10-14-14, 06:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm NOT a mechanic, but I am a 52 year old DIY'er who's NOT the least bit intimidated by the LS. I've so far replaced the water pump (easiest I've ever done), replaced the radiator (not the car's fault - I leaned on a fitting and broke it), replaced the spark plugs, filters, oil changes, brakes (also VERY easy), added several electronic components that required removal of center console, trim, etc which was also easy.

At the end of the day, it''s an internal combustion engine with some electronic controls. It's not powered by a nuclear fusion device. LOL. Yes, the VVT-I system is complicated, but that should't require any service.

The good news is there is tons of info on the internet and online service manuals (I use AlldataDIY.com).

As for paint, I did that too, spent two days cut polishing, etc. Paint came out amazing. My 7 series BMW paint was definately a notch up, but there's no surprises with the Lex.

I'm willing to bet many here are mechanically inclined, but choose not to work on their own cars as they rather do other things.
Sure, but everyone has to have hobbies and interests......mine is keeping my Lexus happy, which in turn, keeps it happy. Also, doing so saves tons and tons of money to do fun things with my family! LOL.

Not sure what a "credit card Mechanic" is.
Old 10-14-14, 09:58 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

There are some things I will not do and one of them is the wheel bearings.
It really depends on your skill level and experience but these days there is so much DIY write ups on the net and support from members of a forum that just about anyone can do anything.

I have done things that was outside write-ups simply because there is no write up for it. There are some rules of turning wrenches only a good mentor can give you but as long as you have the interest and dedication you can service any car.
From an enthusiast point of view I enjoy working on my own car and I like the fact that I can eliminate errors because of someone else's incompetence.
Old 10-14-14, 10:30 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the key is interest. If one doesn't like working on cars, or working on anything for that matter, he/she shouldn't get involved. These cars are not rocket science and if one has normal intelligence and takes the time to due the research, any work can be accomplished. I'm older than most on here and grew up with points, condensers, and carbs, a far cry from the cars of today. But if you have the interest and stay up with the changes, I believe you can do virtually any maintenance/repair work on the autos of today. (Just my 2 cents).
Old 10-14-14, 11:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jud149
I think the key is interest. If one doesn't like working on cars, or working on anything for that matter, he/she shouldn't get involved. These cars are not rocket science and if one has normal intelligence and takes the time to due the research, any work can be accomplished. I'm older than most on here and grew up with points, condensers, and carbs, a far cry from the cars of today. But if you have the interest and stay up with the changes, I believe you can do virtually any maintenance/repair work on the autos of today. (Just my 2 cents).
I agree that having the interest is probably the most important factor.
Saving money is too but I often find that saving money is the only motivating factor for some which causes a lot of greedy people to get spoon fed. These people do not do their due diligence to research what is involved.
Old 10-14-14, 12:24 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Congrats to all the ones who are inclined to do their own mechanical repairs/maintenance. I've worked on some of my vehicles but my 460 is not the one. Air filters are easy but I leave the rest to Lexus.
Old 10-14-14, 01:31 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Open the hood and remove the covers...tell me if you'd like to work on that thing? Then get under it and try to see how much space is on the sides between the engine and sides of the engine compartment, there is none. To get at the intake manifold you have to remove more wiring harnesses than I have ever seen. This car has conventional fuel injection and direct injection, that's two different fuel systems in one car. Yikes!
Never ever again will I complain about room while working on a car after doing the serpentine belt, power steering pump and power steering high pressure line on a W8 passat. Looks like a big square brick under the hood with 2" between the serpentine belt and the electric fans.

But I like this thread. Doing the work yourself will ALWAYS save gobs and gobs of money and im pretty damn cheap lol
Old 10-14-14, 01:39 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to let the pros work on mine. sometimes paying a professional to do the work saves you money (and frustration).

I value my time (family and work) and also like a professional job, done well, on my flagship.

But then again, working on cars is not my hobby.

I have other hobbies that also make me money while I let my mechanic do his thing on my LS.
I'd say it's the perfect scenario

Last edited by escapedcon; 10-14-14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 02:04 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Never ever again will I complain about room while working on a car after doing the serpentine belt, power steering pump and power steering high pressure line on a W8 passat. Looks like a big square brick under the hood with 2" between the serpentine belt and the electric fans.

But I like this thread. Doing the work yourself will ALWAYS save gobs and gobs of money and im pretty damn cheap lol
If you lift up the engine cover the car looks intimidating but its really not. Once the twin air filters are removed everything is accessible. It shouldn't be a terribly hard car to work on.
I can understand why someone wouldn't want to work on their cars and that's perfectly fine but there is this illusion by most that you will get better work going to a professional that you don't know. Many so called professionals become complacent because they are working against the clock and therefore don't use torque wrenches for critical parts. I have seen them get pretty rough with customers cars during the disassembly of parts.
Unless I know the guy I don't blindly place my trust to the so called professional.
Old 10-14-14, 02:58 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko

Question...you couldn't of taken the nose off? I know with the Audi's you have to remove the nose to work on the front of the engine in some of their cars. It's actually pretty easy to take the nose off on an Audi, but everything else sucks.
Old 10-14-14, 04:38 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

how about being mechanically inclined because everytime I take the car to the dealer they either scratch it, damage something or at min leave black finger prints on my seats... Last time they scratched my wheels inspite of asking the service advisor and the tech to be careful ... doing the work myself I am sure it is done right and don't have to wonder what will go wrong...
Old 10-14-14, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

sometimes paying a professional to do the work saves you money
Extremely rare.

I have other hobbies that also make me money
My hobby of doting on, and working on my car DOES make me money....to the tune of 130 dollars per hour plus up to 80% savings in parts. LOL. It's also extremely satisfying.

Quick Reply: Mechanically inclined?