LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mechanically inclined?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 09:29 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually funny you made this post...cuz I JUST had the first service done on my LS like last week. Have an 08 with 70K. It was a simple oil change to be honest, which turned into diff fluid and damn TPMS sensor. Went from 230 bucks to 650. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I'm no stranger to working on my car. Did my own twin turbo swap on my IS...but I figured...meh. I'll start taking this one to Lexus cuz I just didn't want to do it myself. Screw that. I'll change the oil myself, and do ALL service on my own going forward. Unless I just don't have time to do it.

Nevermind the Fuel System decarb they tried to get me to pay 400 bucks for. To throw a damn can of chemicals in the fuel tank and clean the TB? Um...yea that's alright. Can of Royal Purple Max Clean is 13 bucks and i can take a TB off and clean that myself. They made it seem like they were going to remove the intake manfiold, clean each individual injector...yada yada yada.... Thanks but NO thanks.
Old 10-15-14, 09:50 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely they asked for your approval before they did the diff fluid and TPMS. So why did you approve over $400 for this work, and if you did NOT approve it, why on earth did you PAY for it? I'm missing something here...
Old 10-15-14, 10:29 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Yea of course they did. The diff charge actually wasn't too bad. And yea I could have waited on that. but meh...figured it was already there might as well get it done. The TPMS, I totally did not expect to pay what they charged me for the part. But again, if i would have left it alone, 1. there would have been a big fat indicator on the dash. 2. wouldn't be able to tell the pressure on the other tires, so it was again...one of those things where it was there...whatever just get it done.

In all honesty, the response did seem kinda brutal...i mean I don't blame the dealer at all. It had to get done...so whatever. Probably sounded rougher than I meant it to be. I just found it kind of odd, how I went in for a 230 dollar service and the charges kept racking up. I partly blame myself...I could have done 75% of what was done for a fraction of the price. Just didn't feel like it.

Next time I will feel like it though. LOL
Old 10-15-14, 10:53 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Question...you couldn't of taken the nose off? I know with the Audi's you have to remove the nose to work on the front of the engine in some of their cars. It's actually pretty easy to take the nose off on an Audi, but everything else sucks.
I could have, but customers dont like to see you do that. And the high pressure power steering line goes from the top of the P/S pump, along the fender, up under the fuse block, under heat shielding, under the brake booster, through the firewall and to the rack, which is at the base off the windshield............................... That, taking the nose off wouldnt make me want to burn the car to the ground any less lol

And wingzero, they caught you on the Convenience thing. They catch you while you are there, upsell it and make money because when they ask while your already waiting, odds are your gonna say yeah sure why not, and then the service adviser makes the commission on the upsell, and boom. Thats how SA's pay the bills. Its strictly commission. At least at Benz, and toyota it is. TPMS you really couldnt do at home unless you have a tire changer which most people dont, and then the diff fluid could have been done at home but while you were there it was easier because now you dont have a bucket of gear oil that you have to dispose of on the neighbors bushes that they dont trim. LOL
Old 10-15-14, 11:04 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wingzero
Yea of course they did. The diff charge actually wasn't too bad. And yea I could have waited on that. but meh...figured it was already there might as well get it done. The TPMS, I totally did not expect to pay what they charged me for the part. But again, if i would have left it alone, 1. there would have been a big fat indicator on the dash. 2. wouldn't be able to tell the pressure on the other tires, so it was again...one of those things where it was there...whatever just get it done.

In all honesty, the response did seem kinda brutal...i mean I don't blame the dealer at all. It had to get done...so whatever. Probably sounded rougher than I meant it to be. I just found it kind of odd, how I went in for a 230 dollar service and the charges kept racking up. I partly blame myself...I could have done 75% of what was done for a fraction of the price. Just didn't feel like it.

Next time I will feel like it though. LOL
Ah, I see now. I ALWAYS try to pin them down to the EXACT cost of parts and labor for any work I authorize them to do BEFORE they do it. If they're squishy on a number, I pin them down to a maximum. My service advisor knows the drill and keeps things under control. He also knows NEVER to try to sell me worthless service "packs." As opposed to doing everything yourself, give some consideration to properly "training" a service advisor to work with you instead of against you. Good luck.
Old 10-15-14, 11:17 AM
wingzero
Rookie

That's actually a VERY good point. I hadn't taken any of my Lexus to the dealership in years...in fact the last time was WAY back in 2000 for my 1st gen IS. I'm on my 5th Lexus now with the LS. The guy who was assisting, was rather young, so you might have something there. A
Old 10-15-14, 02:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by wingzero
Its actually funny you made this post...cuz I JUST had the first service done on my LS like last week. Have an 08 with 70K. It was a simple oil change to be honest, which turned into diff fluid and damn TPMS sensor. Went from 230 bucks to 650. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I'm no stranger to working on my car. Did my own twin turbo swap on my IS...but I figured...meh. I'll start taking this one to Lexus cuz I just didn't want to do it myself. Screw that. I'll change the oil myself, and do ALL service on my own going forward. Unless I just don't have time to do it.

Nevermind the Fuel System decarb they tried to get me to pay 400 bucks for. To throw a damn can of chemicals in the fuel tank and clean the TB? Um...yea that's alright. Can of Royal Purple Max Clean is 13 bucks and i can take a TB off and clean that myself. They made it seem like they were going to remove the intake manfiold, clean each individual injector...yada yada yada.... Thanks but NO thanks.
I went to Lexus to buy two little drain plug washers...cost me 7 bucks. I thought they would go for - at the most - a dollar. When I tell you these things were little, I'm not kidding, I honestly thought they would just give them to me for nothing and say, "hey they don't cost us anything, it's good business, you'll be back for bigger/better things". I'll never go back. Anything I need from now on I'll buy through the internet.
Old 10-15-14, 03:35 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Again, did you give "Ted" a call and say, "Ted, can you scare me up a couple drain plug washers? I lost the damn things doing a coolant flush (or whatever)." No, you didn't because you haven't developed a relationship with a Lexus service advisor. These are PEOPLE, not robots. Get to know them, and they'll make your life SO much easier. Who is helped by your pledge to "never go back." C'mon guys, it's ALWAYS about people and the relationships between them.
Old 10-15-14, 03:42 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Originally Posted by williakz
Again, did you give "Ted" a call and say, "Ted, can you scare me up a couple drain plug washers? I lost the damn things doing a coolant flush (or whatever)." No, you didn't because you haven't developed a relationship with a Lexus service advisor. These are PEOPLE, not robots. Get to know them, and they'll make your life SO much easier. Who is helped by your pledge to "never go back." C'mon guys, it's ALWAYS about people and the relationships between them.
pretty good advice there.
too often we try to be too professional in our everyday dealings to our own detriment, I guess (at least I know I do)
Old 10-15-14, 05:38 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I take my car in for service, and if anything comes up that would be covered under the certified warranty I'll take it in for repair. As for the wear and tear items like brakes or serpentine belt, I've replaced those myself. I also installed my coilovers w/ platinum vip air cups along with associated compressor, air lines electrical etc.
Old 10-15-14, 06:49 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no stranger to tight engine bays. My sports car is a 300ZX twin turbo. Last time I had that car in for service I had belts hoses sensors and a new rack and pinion replaced in it. A total of $8,800. Like the guy above said never again. I don't mind working on my cars as I know I'm saving a fortune and it's rewarding completing the job yourself. I started on the typical smaller stuff and eventually worked my way up to more complectated systems. I have a spare block that I rebuilt in a college class that is ready to drop into the Z when the time comes.

Ideally I'd like to get the LS460L and keep it serviced myself as I can't picture forking out the luxury tax everyone seems to tack onto the car services. If things change in my career my time becomes more valuable than money I'll find a mechanic to service my car/fleat of vehicles.
Old 10-16-14, 06:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I went to Lexus to buy two little drain plug washers...cost me 7 bucks. I thought they would go for - at the most - a dollar. When I tell you these things were little, I'm not kidding, I honestly thought they would just give them to me for nothing and say, "hey they don't cost us anything, it's good business, you'll be back for bigger/better things". I'll never go back. Anything I need from now on I'll buy through the internet.
When I buy my oil filter at my Toyota dealer, they always give me a washer with it for free. Go to your Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. Even if they do charge you, it'll be a fraction of the price.
Old 10-16-14, 09:01 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

What I have found in the industry is out of all the Japanese makes, Toyota is generally the least expensive for parts. The only Toyota parts that are expensive are those specific for the car and do not usually go bad.
Toyota also doesn't skimp out on the quality of their fluids and they don't charge and arm and leg for them either.
Little fasteners, nuts and bolts can be ridiculous for what Toyota charges compared to the hardware store however the fact that they are able to stock every little part makes it's storage expensive in the dealer warehouse and networking.
Old 10-16-14, 03:17 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I'll remember to get those free washers the next time I go in to buy their coolant for 20 bucks more than Toyota charges.
Old 10-16-14, 08:52 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I never suggested it is necessary to bend over for the Lexus "treatment" in order to get the Lexus treatment. Maybe some examples might help you to understand my point.

I bargain hard for my vehicles, yet I have a warm, friendly, PRODUCTIVE relationship with my salesguy. For instance, I HATE wheel locks as they don't stop thieves, but they WILL stop you dead in the water when somebody loses or misplaces the key. My last car "came with" the locks - they ALL do, apparently. I refused to pay for them, but had to accept them on the vehicle as it is illegal for the dealer to deliver a vehicle missing an invoiced item. So, on delivery, my salesguy reaches into his desk drawer and comes up with four brand new shiny lug nuts for my LS. He tells me that after I change the tires (he knows I'm going to scrap the 15k Bridgestones right away), just bring in the locks and key next time I drop by and we're even.

Similarly, I was a bit put out that the nice Lexus key fob "gloves" weren't available for my new LS keys after the MY2013 refresh. I mentioned this to my salesguy and he winked and told me he'd have them for me next time I dropped by (for 1k personalization or free oil change). I was skeptical, but when I came in he had two brand new gloves waiting for me, at no charge. Unfortunately, they were for the "old" style fobs and wouldn't fit mine. So, when I saw the new style gloves finally available online, I bought an extra set (cost me $10), snuck into his cubicle when he was away, and put them on his desk. I got a call the next day and he was tickled pink. You think I'll get my $10 "investment" back?

Same with my Lexus service advisor. We both know each other to be serious and honest men, and we've been dealing with each other for years. He ALWAYS gives me the benefit of the doubt and does whatever he can to help me out with the occasional issues I have with my vehicles. I NEVER hear how this or that is not covered, or is within specs, or any other BS from him. He simply orders a new gizmo and has the techs install it, no questions asked. When I ask about scheduled service items, he goes down the list and tells me which are worthwhile, which are worthless and which are worth doing elsewhere or by myself. So when I learn of something I think he should know (from here or elsewhere), I give him a call and we talk cars for a bit.

So, not really about bending over, more about standing up.

Quick Reply: Mechanically inclined?