LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Which Brake rotors to buy and where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 06:01 AM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Brake rotors to buy and where?

Time for new brake pads so I am going to get new rotors as well so I don't have to keep having the dealer turn every 15K miles at a cost of $200 per axle.

What rotors do you recommend for a 2008 LS 460 Standard Suspension?

Where is the best place to buy them?

Also, does everyone still recommend Akebono Pro Act pads?

Where is the best place to buy the pads?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 10-09-14, 06:12 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for rotors just don't get the OEM ones.
most likely the worst OEM part our cars have.

just did my brakes recently but did not replace the rotors....a very, very slight vibration on breaking at high speeds is felt but not enough to bother me at this point but if it gets worse I'll have to get new one and was wondering what other recommend as well.
Old 10-09-14, 06:12 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Pads: AKEBONO Part # ACT1282 **#0446550260} ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad
Front; OE Pad Material Is Ceramic $52.89

AKEBONO Part # ACT1283 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad Rear; OE Pad Material Is Ceramic $44.79

Rotors vary if you have sport pack, and the different sizes, but go to Rockauto.com its the best.
Old 10-09-14, 07:25 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got Centric rotors from Amazon so I wouldn't get dinged for a massive shipping expense (they're HEAVY!!!) if I needed to return them (which I did). If I was to get them again, I would get the ones with the shaped ventilation channels instead of the cheaper straight ones. The brake pads (referenced AKEBONOs) I got from Advance Auto. You do a little dance with your local store where you make sure they have the pads on hand. Then, they do some computer magic which takes a day or two and allows you to "order" them online much cheaper than the store price by using discount codes. Then you waltz on over to the store and pick them up. Good luck.
Old 10-09-14, 08:06 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williakz
I got Centric rotors from Amazon so I wouldn't get dinged for a massive shipping expense (they're HEAVY!!!) if I needed to return them (which I did). If I was to get them again, I would get the ones with the shaped ventilation channels instead of the cheaper straight ones. The brake pads (referenced AKEBONOs) I got from Advance Auto. You do a little dance with your local store where you make sure they have the pads on hand. Then, they do some computer magic which takes a day or two and allows you to "order" them online much cheaper than the store price by using discount codes. Then you waltz on over to the store and pick them up. Good luck.
Im going to have to say never buy parts from the monkey behind the counter. I bought three sets of pads for my LS before they ran out, all the pads were warped from being smashed around by bafoons. I had to end up bending the forks on a set to put the wear sensor in. And then, if you call any auto parts store, and say you need coolant for any LS400, they tell you "green one is fine" when any LS400 owner will tell you the Toyota Coolant is Dex-Cool at the autoparts store. I bet the manager at autozone $50 the lexus took Dex-Cool. I called the dealer on speaker, long story short, manager paid for my coolant.
Old 10-09-14, 10:34 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree you have to watch yourself. Disagree about "never buy parts" at parts stores. The best thing about brick and mortar is you can put your hands on the parts PRIOR to buying them. If you get them online and want to return them, USUALLY you're on the hook for shipping (both ways sometimes). With my pad purchase (still have them for when OEMs wear out) at Advance, I got to see EXACTLY what I was buying before I committed AND I got them at a killer price with a 30% discount. What's to complain about with THAT setup?
Old 10-09-14, 01:07 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Besides dealing with the parts monkeys? lol But thats why I go through RockAuto. Its just a lot easier for me, and they send me coupons all the time. So you can take thsoe brake pad prices above, and then take another 5% off with the coupon from me posted in the Great Deals section and boom. I was a parts counter monkey for a while, and the stupidity of my coworkers is exactly why I dont work there anymore. Plus everytime I try to get any store to match prices, they are D-bags. O-Really went through a TON of hassle to get them to price match the alternator for a Plymouth Arrow to $26 from the $130 they wanted, but after hours of arguing with the monkey, and the ape (manager) I got it matched. And JUST to be a ****, I didnt buy the car, and I returned the alternator the next day. LOL
Old 10-09-14, 05:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I bought Akebono pads for my car and my wife's car from placeforbrakes.com. Excellent prices and fast free shipping. I didn't buy rotors, but if I needed them, I would buy from them.
Old 10-09-14, 05:09 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Placeforbrakes.com does have a good price for the Akebono, only because the shipping is included. Rockauto is cheaper before shipping, and then if you add the coupon from the Great Deals section, its pretty much down to preference. Personally, ive never dealt with PFB.com but I sure can vouch for the customer service at Rockauto.
Old 10-09-14, 06:51 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a set of centric rotors for the front and rear as well as ceramic pads w/hardware from Autoanything.com. Great prices and free shipping. I don't think they have the akebono pads, but the centric rotors were a great price.
Old 10-09-14, 08:38 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Is 150, are you happy with the centric rotors? How many miles do you have on the new rotors?
Old 10-11-14, 09:30 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
Is 150, are you happy with the centric rotors? How many miles do you have on the new rotors?
ive only had the rotors on for 200 miles or so, but ii'm very happy with them. The hub of the rotor and outside edge come painted black which is a nice added touch so you dont have to look at rust.
Old 10-11-14, 07:10 PM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

get cryogenically frozen rotors, combined with akebono ceramics, they will not warp
frozenrotors.com their rotors are in cryo for 60 hours
Old 10-12-14, 10:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I bought my rotors on Ebay for 58 bucks/pr with free shipping. They are Bendix branded. Yes you read that right 58 bucks - for TWO! I've put about 10k miles on them over a 6 month time. Smooth as ever and still another 6 months of warranty against warping.
Old 10-13-14, 05:17 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Roadfrog, do you by chance remember who you got the Bendix rotors from? I just searched ebay and only found one Bendix for $70 for one. Thanks, Chris

Quick Reply: Which Brake rotors to buy and where?