LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS400 vs LS430 vs LS460(L)

Old 10-10-14, 12:08 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soldier76
I agree the laser cruise, icebox, 4 zone climate control, rear controls, 19 speaker mark levinson system, etc, etc, are things I definitely didn't need, but day after day I'm realizing how cool these features are and what they do...and must say are pretty useful and can't imagine how it would be without them. The overall car is still awesome with or without all the toys btw, its just personally for me it makes the car more pleasantly entertaining.
are these options on the 430UL or just the 460L??

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Lexus LS400s have a loyal following because they were built when Lexus was trying to establish itself against the luxury European brands (BMW, Mercedes). Their customer service was also exceptional in those days, so if there was ever any question about looking after a customer, in or out of warranty, it always was in the best interests of the customer. Now that Lexus has established itself, it doesn't need to go the extra mile (and my experience has been that they don't). I think this is why you're hearing all the gripes about the LS460. Expectations are that the car will be bulletproof and, if it isn't, Lexus will take care of it. Well, the reality is different.

Call your local Lexus dealership finance manager and ask how much a Lexus Platinum warranty on a private party purchase will cost you (I'm guessing around $2500-$2800 for a 3 year/36000 mile warranty). Add that to the cost of the car and enjoy it.

Yeah it definitely is a great car... thats why I want a newer one. The only thing that I get worried about is the warranty stuff. The Kia warranty is flippin awesome, but like you said about the LS400, Kia is trying to come back from the grave so they kiss *** like crazy. I am the worst kind of car buyer too... I nitpick like no tomorrow. Im one of those people who can spot a 1" scratch when your not even looking at the car. I dont usually rely on the dealers for much unless they are paying for it lol. This will be the most expensive car ive ever bought when I actually bite the bullet, so I need everything to be 100% what I want. Where I am at in life, im way ahead of the game, and I dont want to make a big choice like this and set myself back for it to be a money pit.

Last edited by cgawelko; 10-10-14 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-10-14, 06:13 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Those are dealership prices. Sure you can get them cheaper and install them yourself but many people don't have that option. A Toyota dealership is usually about 20%-25% cheaper (don't know why) and independents are all over the place. Bottom line is, these cars are great if you're a do-it-yourselfer but if not, you gotta pay to play.
Learn and save. I do this sometimes on my 430. Shop around for the part that you KNOW you need, find a used part, or even a 3rd party part, save normally 50% over dealer. Then call up the smaller shops, as for a quote to install a part. Or hunt around on these forums and learn some basic car care...

Most shops (besides dealer shops) will be willing to install the part that you give them, they are just going to charge you labor and that could be high but, less than the dealer, so in the long run you could save yourself a lot of money going this route.

There is always the bad side to it, if your guessing it's a part and it's not that part, it could cost you more in the long run.
Old 10-10-14, 09:12 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I really don't mind about he cost of parts or a few flaws ,,its the damn engine tats the problem.

Valves ? Heads? Recalls? Hesitations? Burning oil??? Who the hell needs that in their life

They also sound like a Volkswagen diesel engine when u get up close to them ,,,its a shame.

But because im a very hard headed person who consistently makes impulsive bad decisions I will most likely still be purchasing an 07-08 460 when the right one comes my way.
Old 10-10-14, 03:06 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

1Willy1: most of the issues you refer to were on the '07 and '08 cars. Lexus recalled them and fixed those issues and I haven't heard very much on later model cars. I have had an '08, '12 and now a 2014 and have loved every one of them. Buy a '09+ car and you should be OK.
Old 10-10-14, 04:26 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
are these options on the 430UL or just the 460L??

Yeah it definitely is a great car... thats why I want a newer one. The only thing that I get worried about is the warranty stuff. The Kia warranty is flippin awesome, but like you said about the LS400, Kia is trying to come back from the grave so they kiss *** like crazy. I am the worst kind of car buyer too... I nitpick like no tomorrow. Im one of those people who can spot a 1" scratch when your not even looking at the car. I dont usually rely on the dealers for much unless they are paying for it lol. This will be the most expensive car ive ever bought when I actually bite the bullet, so I need everything to be 100% what I want. Where I am at in life, im way ahead of the game, and I dont want to make a big choice like this and set myself back for it to be a money pit.
Now I'm pretty sure the 19speaker mark levinson and 4 zone climate control ain't on the 430 (but could be wrong). As for the other features the 430 has them (but don't quote me on that either).
Old 10-11-14, 05:41 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

This is why I chose a CPO Lexus. It is essentially a new car at half price with a new-car warranty. I have 3 years/100k to drive it, and can sell it before then with no money out of pocket spent on fixes, only depreciation. And the way these cars level off, even the total depreciation will likely be less than having leased a new one. Low risk, maximum satisfaction. Heck, my car even came with a brand new set of tires and brakes!
Old 10-12-14, 01:34 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

What about the air purifiers? My daughter is severely asthmatic and I do everything I can to make things better for her. She doesnt have problems in the car now, but I just think it would be nice as well as the fridge in the rear for things for her. Its gonna be my family car.

I grabbed the book for the new LS ones... jizz. They have an LS-F sport coming out! but I already picked colors and interior colors, and the trim inside too. Now if only I wanted to drop the brand new $$...
Old 10-12-14, 05:28 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
What about the air purifiers? My daughter is severely asthmatic and I do everything I can to make things better for her. She doesnt have problems in the car now, but I just think it would be nice as well as the fridge in the rear for things for her. Its gonna be my family car. I grabbed the book for the new LS ones... jizz. They have an LS-F sport coming out! but I already picked colors and interior colors, and the trim inside too. Now if only I wanted to drop the brand new $$...
The air purifier comes with the rear seat climate/cool box package only, the LS-F Sport debut in 2013 in limited quantities so you might can find one used or wait until one comes off lease.
Old 10-12-14, 10:28 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
The air purifier comes with the rear seat climate/cool box package only, the LS-F Sport debut in 2013 in limited quantities so you might can find one used or wait until one comes off lease.
Sooo... LS460L 2008+ is it then. Gotta have the purifiers and stuff. Why not go all out and get every option while im spending the money! lol Now I wait for the right one to come along...
Old 10-12-14, 12:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The 04 - 06 430 UL models have a 2nd air purifier with the separate AC system in the back. Works very well. It has its own HEPA filter in the trunk plus the uv to kill bacteria in the air. Best ac system I have experienced. Plus you get the the rest of the rear seat package to enjoy.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-12-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 11:46 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The 04 - 06 430 UL models have a 2nd air purifier with the separate AC system in the back. Works very well. It has its own HEPA filter in the trunk plus the uv to kill bacteria in the air. Best ac system I have experienced. Plus you get the the rest of the rear seat package to enjoy.
damn. Back to the 430 vs 460.... I think I may try the 430 if I can find one before I find the 460 in my range. at least Lexus gives me choices with the options I like instead of, oh you want that? buy our most expensive one.
Old 10-13-14, 03:24 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

holy.... crap..../thread

http://www.lexusoforlando.com/detail.../2136557?cid=1

All I need is that car... and this:

Last edited by cgawelko; 10-13-14 at 03:35 AM.