LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transfer Case Oil Change $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 08:32 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transfer Case Oil Change $$$$$

In my 2009 LS 460 SWB I have shuddering when turning at low speeds. My Lexus dealership confirmed there's a TSB out for this problem that calls for the fluid in the transfer case to be changed three times and for it to be driven 1 mile in between changes. Sounds simple enough. (see attached TSB).

However, the transfer case fluid the dealership is recommending costs about $160 per liter and I need 3 liters (part number 08885-81085). With labor it will cost me over $600 to basically change one liter of gear oil.

This seems like a lot of money for one liter of gear oil, even if it is synthetic. Does anyone have any experience with this repair? Has anyone found any cheaper alternative fluids that are acceptable? Or do I just have to bite the bullet?

Thanks.
Attached Files
Old 10-06-14, 09:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
In my 2009 LS 460 SWB I have shuddering when turning at low speeds. My Lexus dealership confirmed there's a TSB out for this problem that calls for the fluid in the transfer case to be changed three times and for it to be driven 1 mile in between changes. Sounds simple enough. (see attached TSB).

However, the transfer case fluid the dealership is recommending costs about $160 per liter and I need 3 liters (part number 08885-81085). With labor it will cost me over $600 to basically change one liter of gear oil.

This seems like a lot of money for one liter of gear oil, even if it is synthetic. Does anyone have any experience with this repair? Has anyone found any cheaper alternative fluids that are acceptable? Or do I just have to bite the bullet?

Thanks.
Are you sure it's not 160 for all 3 liters? My dealer quoted me 48 dollars/liter here in Canada. I was planning on changing mine out myself and is required as per mantenance schedule here.
Old 10-06-14, 09:09 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can, search this forum for shudder when turning, or just shudder. You should see a bunch of results discussing it in the LS 600h. For some reason I'm not getting any results on this computer or I'd do it for you
Old 10-06-14, 10:32 AM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
i had that procedure done and it sounds about right, fortunately mine was covered, the only thing i can think of is see if anybody else makes the same oil and quote an independent shop if u don't want to do it yourself....but one thing for sure is that the noise and vibration disappears after
Old 10-06-14, 11:19 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I had the same problem in my 2008 LS600hL. I had just purchased the car from the local Lexus dealer (CPO).

I learned that this particular TSB is covered by the Powertrain warranty (vs the shorter bumper-to-bumper warranty), so there's a chance you are still under the original factory warranty for this repair. In my case, i was outside the factory warranty, but Lexus agreed to do the TSB at no charge since the car was a CPO that I had just purchased.

I can attest to the fact that the "miracle fluid" they use does immediately resolve the low-speed shuddering problem, so it's probably well worth it whether you have to pay or not.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-14, 12:07 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone. To answer some of the questions asked, I am definitely sure it is $160 per liter rather than for all three liters. I am not under warranty so I will have to cover this out of pocket. I'm going to continue looking into this but if anyone else has any insight into cheaper transfer case oil that will work then please chime in.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-14, 08:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As I stated in my earlier post, my dealer quoted me 48 dollars for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuine-Parts-08885-02606-Differential/dp/B004SKRLGE http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuine-Parts-08885-02606-Differential/dp/B004SKRLGE

Or Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0888502606-GEAR-OIL-LX85-1L-Toyota-/191103394217?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7ea661a9&vxp=mtr
As you can see Amazon charges a bit more at 62 dollars (my dealer gives me a discount). There is no way gear oil should cost anywhere near what they quoted you. Not unless the can is made of 14 ct gold.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-06-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 04:54 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As I stated in my earlier post, my dealer quoted me 48 dollars for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuine.../dp/B004SKRLGE

Or Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0888502606-G...a661a9&vxp=mtr

As you can see Amazon charges a bit more at 62 dollars (my dealer gives me a discount). There is no way gear oil should cost anywhere near what they quoted you. Not unless the can is made of 14 ct gold.
Thanks roadfrog. My Lexus dealer definitely quoted me about $150/liter. Then I went to another Lexus dealer nearby and walked up to their parts department and they quoted me $166/liter. After reading your post I did some searching and also found that Amazon and Ebay listing for the much cheaper gear oil. This is just another gross example of dealerships over-charging.

Did you have your Lexus dealership do your transfer case fluid change or did you go to an independent mechanic?
Old 10-07-14, 05:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks roadfrog. My Lexus dealer definitely quoted me about $150/liter. Then I went to another Lexus dealer nearby and walked up to their parts department and they quoted me $166/liter. After reading your post I did some searching and also found that Amazon and Ebay listing for the much cheaper gear oil. This is just another gross example of dealerships over-charging.

Did you have your Lexus dealership do your transfer case fluid change or did you go to an independent mechanic?
Go to your Toyota dealer. They'll be much cheaper.

I haven't done this service yet, as it isn't due for another 10k miles or so. I was just getting my info for the task when the time comes. When it does, I will be doing it myself.
Old 10-07-14, 10:41 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess the ones sold at Amazon or eBay are not the same as the ones from dealership used in this TSB.

I remember one Toyota service advisor refers this as magic oil to fix tsb issue. When asked where did that come from, he said Japan.

For regular gear oil changes they won't use this oil. Please talk to knowledgeable service advisor or master tech get the difference between these two oils.
Old 10-07-14, 05:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I was confused when you said "transfer case". Your profile and post said nothing about "AWD". I therefore assumed that you meant "differential". My previous posts were addressing gear oil for a diff. If you indeed refer to an AWD transfer case, then the TSB requires LL80 transfer case fluid. THAT is hard to find and might justify the price quoted.

My apologies.

I DID find some from a supplier in Germany with a quoted price of 34 euros (about 50 bucks) here:

http://en.autospares.lv/search.html?..._price&smode=A

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-07-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 03:56 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Sorry for the confusion. Yes my LS 460 is AWD. I thought transfer cases were only in AWD/4WD vehicles so it would've been assumed.
Old 10-08-14, 04:00 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Roadfrog, I am going off the part number in the TSB for the fluid which matches the part number in the amazon and eBay listings you posted. I don't understand why these don't work if I've got the right part number. What am I missing?
Old 10-08-14, 04:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Roadfrog, I am going off the part number in the TSB for the fluid which matches the part number in the amazon and eBay listings you posted. I don't understand why these don't work if I've got the right part number. What am I missing?
Are you looking at the NEW part number that supercedes the old? The new part number is this:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...885-81085.html

The old part number is the one I quoted for the EBay and Amazon listings. Sounds like they have made a special lube to address the issue in the TSB.

Somewhat good news is that link I provided above is 117 dollars per bottle which will save you a bit of cash over the dealer. Did you ask your Toyota dealer about their price? They tend to be a lot cheaper than the Lexus dealers.
Old 10-08-14, 05:30 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Are you looking at the NEW part number that supercedes the old? The new part number is this:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...885-81085.html

The old part number is the one I quoted for the EBay and Amazon listings. Sounds like they have made a special lube to address the issue in the TSB.

Somewhat good news is that link I provided above is 117 dollars per bottle which will save you a bit of cash over the dealer. Did you ask your Toyota dealer about their price? They tend to be a lot cheaper than the Lexus dealers.
Yeah you're right. I was looking at the old part number. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Oil Change $$$$$