LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just test drove my first ls460-Considering purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 04:45 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
you saw it and what did you find wrong with it ?

The one you posted has 10 000 more kilometres and is like $6000 more in price.

The one I went to see comes with a warrantee as well.
I've been to that dealer before, they seem shady. They told me that the car I was looking at was a "clean" car, no accidents. I lifted the trunk mat to see water and the rear bumper colour was off.

Its not really $6K more because you can negotiate the price lower. At the end of the day a Toyota dealer will more likely sell you a more reliable car than a side dealer would. IMO that's worth the extra $
Old 09-30-14, 07:15 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
I've been to that dealer before, they seem shady. They told me that the car I was looking at was a "clean" car, no accidents. I lifted the trunk mat to see water and the rear bumper colour was off.

Its not really $6K more because you can negotiate the price lower. At the end of the day a Toyota dealer will more likely sell you a more reliable car than a side dealer would. IMO that's worth the extra $
I agree I would much rather deal with a Toyota / lexus dealer, but you simply wont find any good prices there, its retail all the way.

In terms of that dealer, they were very up front with me about everything, the rear left corner of the bumper is the only place I was able to see anything, the metal / body seemed to be perfect.

Im really torn on what to get, ive narrowed it down to a 460 or a C5 vette 6 speed , its a touch choice .
Old 09-30-14, 07:22 AM
triniexr
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I agree I would much rather deal with a Toyota / lexus dealer, but you simply wont find any good prices there, its retail all the way.

In terms of that dealer, they were very up front with me about everything, the rear left corner of the bumper is the only place I was able to see anything, the metal / body seemed to be perfect.

Im really torn on what to get, ive narrowed it down to a 460 or a C5 vette 6 speed , its a touch choice .
Hmmm... so you have to decide if you want a summer toy or all year round toy.

2 totally different cars. If you are young and single or have a winter car get the C5, if your older or soon to be married get the LS.

Insurance for me on the Lexus was pretty cheap, you should also check that on both cars. That may help you decide. I sold my Lexus LS460L and bought a Mercedes S63 AMG the week before I got married. (Older people advice: Get what you want before you get married because after that you have to ask.. and you still wont get it)... My insurance dropped $90.
Old 09-30-14, 09:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm surprised to see you checking out LS460's. Are you going to keep your LS430?
Old 09-30-14, 09:59 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
Hmmm... so you have to decide if you want a summer toy or all year round toy.

2 totally different cars. If you are young and single or have a winter car get the C5, if your older or soon to be married get the LS.

Insurance for me on the Lexus was pretty cheap, you should also check that on both cars. That may help you decide. I sold my Lexus LS460L and bought a Mercedes S63 AMG the week before I got married. (Older people advice: Get what you want before you get married because after that you have to ask.. and you still wont get it)... My insurance dropped $90.
yea the LS is the smart choice , its more reliable ( I hope), classy and is more practical.

The C5 is just a fun car though , especially with some wheels and a little work, they are also becoming quite cheap , almost half the price of a 460.

Im going to see whatever comes my way first and whatever feels right at the time.

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'm surprised to see you checking out LS460's. Are you going to keep your LS430?
Hey Kira,

its been a hard choice but ive puit the LS430 for sale already, it already got a lot of offers I think it wont be hard to sell.

I love it but I had a really blessed year and I think im ready to upgrade , but its hard to find anything with the rock solid reputation fo the 430 so who knows if ill end up selling or not.
Old 09-30-14, 05:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would look for a single owner 2009 and up cpo with an extended warranty. If your going to get a 460 you better do it right. I would not spend 30-40 grand on one without it. Maybe if you find one cheap like via an auction for 10 grand off that would be an option. Also, if you are smart... Search for used cars here in the South. GA, FL, AL, TN, SC, NC almost all demonstrate prime contenders. Prices are better then mid / west coast and north east and the climate is ideal for preservation of the car particularly over the north east. Almost no snow or rust and not dry or high heat. Our roads are better. First owners tend to be older and more relaxed drivers. Autotrader and search nationwide private owner as well as dealer. Also, many dealers will ship for free or close to it. This is also how I found my lovely single owner 430 UL. She spent The first part of her life in Raleigh, NC.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-30-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 05:08 AM
triniexr
Driver

Honestly, being in Toronto I'd get an AWD version. I had some scary experiences with my LS. A good few times on the highway during acceleration I could feel the back end coming out to the left. The last time that happened I was beside an 18 wheeler....... I ran Bridgestone Blizzacks on my car. The traction control system on the RWD is very impressive though.... when I did slip it brought the car back straight.
Old 10-01-14, 06:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As a reference, I too am in Canada. I purchased my 08 in January from a Lexus dealer and it had 106,000 km (60k miles). I paid 30,999 dollars for it and option wise, it has ML and self park. The dealer I purchased it from provided a Carproof report (similar to Carfax). It showed that the car had been in an accident resulting in 12k dollars in repair to the passenger side front end. The report also showed that there was no frame damage. As explained by the salesman at the dealer, repair costs escalate quickly on these cars despite relatively minor damage. The headlight assembly alone cost over 3k dollars, so simply cracking it, will add that amount to the total bill. Add in a bumper, fender, hood and paint with labour and you can see how 12k dollars is easily attained. I could care less as long as the work is done properly. Yes, I lose when I sell the vehicle. but I gained it at purchase, so it's all relative. The dealer also gave me the repair/recall history with my purchase and a 30 day unlimited bumper to bumper warranty as well as a 10 day option of returning the car if I was not happy.
Old 10-01-14, 03:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As a reference, I too am in Canada. I purchased my 08 in January from a Lexus dealer and it had 106,000 km (60k miles). I paid 30,999 dollars for it and option wise, it has ML and self park. The dealer I purchased it from provided a Carproof report (similar to Carfax). It showed that the car had been in an accident resulting in 12k dollars in repair to the passenger side front end. The report also showed that there was no frame damage. As explained by the salesman at the dealer, repair costs escalate quickly on these cars despite relatively minor damage. The headlight assembly alone cost over 3k dollars, so simply cracking it, will add that amount to the total bill. Add in a bumper, fender, hood and paint with labour and you can see how 12k dollars is easily attained. I could care less as long as the work is done properly. Yes, I lose when I sell the vehicle. but I gained it at purchase, so it's all relative. The dealer also gave me the repair/recall history with my purchase and a 30 day unlimited bumper to bumper warranty as well as a 10 day option of returning the car if I was not happy.
What I have seen in the industry and in private sales is people hiding the fact that car was in an accident. At least you know where the car was damaged and the work was completed to like new condition. Body shop technology is much better then it use to be and these cars are made to be repaired when they were designed.
Old 10-01-14, 04:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If they are offering the car for $20,000, that's a heck of a deal. Most cars have had some bodywork done. Take it to a Lexus dealer for a PPI and specify the CPO checklist for them to check. Then take it to a body shop for a diagnosis of the accident repairs. Should cost less that $200 for both. If the car check out, go for it. If you keep the car 3-5 years, you'll be fine. If you swap out your car every year or two then, yes, you can expect to take a bath on any car under those conditions.