LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just test drove my first ls460-Considering purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 05:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Just test drove my first ls460-Considering purchase

Hey guys

finally took the time to go test drive my first 460.

It was a silver, 07 swb with 60 000 miles (100 000kms) and is priced very fairly from what I can see.

I have to say the ride was quite nice, different then my 430, but nice. I didn't have a chance to open it up on the highway but the power is there.

Interior is like brand new.

Im not sure of what package it is but it has the Mark Levinson sound system, reclining rear seats, no fridge , no air shocks, rear sunshade and im sure a few other gadgets.

I have a few concerns I was wondering if maybe you guys could help with , the first one being in regards to the title of the car, it is a clean title but it has a documented "accident" to which the hood, left front fender and rear left quarter panel were affected.

Now ive been around a lot of body work , and do some myself on the side , and I have to admit, I cant see ANYTHING!! Theres no obvious paint work, all panels line up perfectly, theres no color difference or blending anywhere that I can see, and belive me I have the eye for it.

So im assuming they either replaced these parts with pre painted OEM finishes, or the entire car was painted , but even in that case it looks all factory to me, it would of had to be a very professional job.

My question is since this 'accident ' is so well documented and so much money clearly put into the repair, why would it not show as a salvage title ?

The dealer said this is because there was no frame damage just cosmetic, does that make sense?

Car drives straight as an arrow and seems to be smooth as silk.

Now I would normally never touch a car with a documented accident but before I walk away id like to see what you guys think. Id hate to lose out on a good buy simply because it had some cosmetic damage at some point.

I don't trust dealers at all but this guy actually seems pretty straight forward and is running a fairly large , respected lot. Hes offered to allow me to take the car to lexus dealer and have everything checked out , including any recalls that may or may not need to be done, as well as the cars history and pending issues.

The other question I had is what package does this car have considering all the options I listed?

Would it be considered the base model?

Lastly how do I know if this car was part of the recalls for the valves?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 09-28-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 05:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ,,and the kicker is I can buy a full drivetrain warrantee for 3 years for like $15 per month, sounds cheap as hell to me but I guess they are very sure of these engines and trannys.
Old 09-28-14, 07:29 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Walk away.... Same dealer selling you the car will take $10k off the price if you go back to trade it in a week after you buy it because of the "accident"... For sure they ripped off the previous owner of this car because of the "accident" and now they are trying to act as if it is not a big deal... Fair price for an accident car is not fair to you.
Old 09-28-14, 07:39 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I would pass on it and keep looking, also look in the FAQ Sticky that covers packages the 460 comes with. The packages are different from the 430 for example if the 430 had Nav ML was included not the case with the 460.
Old 09-28-14, 08:15 PM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Canadian cars may have had different option packages
Old 09-28-14, 08:15 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys , I had a feeling that would be the response , but I needed to hear it.

I liked it so much I was almost going to go back to take a second look.

What I will do is ask him if there are documented details on who did the repairs, and what EXACTLY was done.

For example if Lexus dealer did it , there should be a full thorough list of anything that was done, and maybe its much more minor then it seems.

This is like the first time I test drove a C5 vette, I almost bought it on the spot ,,I pulled out last minute, thankfully.

Also just so you guys know why im tempted, the car is only $21k , with only 60 000 miles it seems to be noticeably cheaper then the rest of the market, I could most likely get him down to 19k-20k.

He also has a same silver 07 swb with 55 000 miles and hes asking 23K, that one has no accidents on file.
Old 09-29-14, 05:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PHOUND5
Canadian cars may have had different option packages
Good point, did not know OP was in Canada. I replied via the forum app and it does not show members location.
Old 09-29-14, 06:30 AM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked with a guy that rebuilt wrecks for several years. Different places have different rules for declaring a car salvage. Also, different insurance companies approach this issue differently.
If I were really Interested in the car, I would take it to a Lexus dealership and have them go over it and give me their opinion.

Replacing a fender or hood is no big deal. If the frame had to be pulled, walk.

Also, look at the tires real close if they have some miles on them. If there are alignment problems, the tires will tell. If the car has new tires, I would be very careful.

Last, look at the number of prior owners since the accident. If the owner after the accident kept the car for a substantial period of time, he was probably pleased with it. If the car has been bounced from owner to owner, that tells you sketching.
Old 09-29-14, 06:47 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ctatum7
I worked with a guy that rebuilt wrecks for several years. Different places have different rules for declaring a car salvage. Also, different insurance companies approach this issue differently.
If I were really Interested in the car, I would take it to a Lexus dealership and have them go over it and give me their opinion.

Replacing a fender or hood is no big deal. If the frame had to be pulled, walk.

Also, look at the tires real close if they have some miles on them. If there are alignment problems, the tires will tell. If the car has new tires, I would be very careful.

Last, look at the number of prior owners since the accident. If the owner after the accident kept the car for a substantial period of time, he was probably pleased with it. If the car has been bounced from owner to owner, that tells you sketching.
good points, yep I will have a Lexus dealer check it out if I proceed, and if they cant give me a very accurate , detailed description of what was done then I will walk .

Im hoping it was a sideswipe or some minor fender bender, and was replaced with OEM parts, and if that's the case I really don't mind too much.
Old 09-29-14, 07:10 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
My question is since this 'accident ' is so well documented and so much money clearly put into the repair, why would it not show as a salvage title ?
Things may be different in Canada, but for instance in Massachusetts a salvage title is only issued if the car is considered a total loss and the insurance company pays off the full value of the car. Apparently this car only suffered repairable damage.

Personally I would still consider the car. Do what you plan to have it fully inspected, see if you can access the report of repairs done by the body shop, and negotiate a very favorable price.
Old 09-29-14, 07:59 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Things may be different in Canada, but for instance in Massachusetts a salvage title is only issued if the car is considered a total loss and the insurance company pays off the full value of the car. Apparently this car only suffered repairable damage.

Personally I would still consider the car. Do what you plan to have it fully inspected, see if you can access the report of repairs done by the body shop, and negotiate a very favorable price.
thanks buddy that's what im going to try to do , ive called him this morning but apparently hes not in till noon.

Ill keep u guys posted
Old 09-29-14, 08:12 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

I suggest you purchase a LS without a documented "accident" on record and thoroughly inspect the vehicle for signs of a accident, service history, recalls, etc. Any vehicle may look immaculate but can be full of flaws. The LS is an outstanding automobile but there is a few bad/damage ones out there. Ease your concerns and have a peace of mind before you purchase your LS by having it thoroughly inspected and buying the extended warranty if possible.
Old 09-29-14, 09:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a car that has front end damage like what you have mentioned.
I checked the car thoroughly and it checked out. It appears that the damaged happened early in it's life and it's primarily cosmetic. The kind of work done on a newer expensive luxury car will general be done to a very high standard which it was and the gaps were precise as it came from the factory.

The only negative is the fact that when you go to trade in the car they will use that against you however you have already overcome that loss on the purchase of the car which made it a great buy to begin with and if you sell it to a private party you can explain the damage and let them see for themselves that the work was done right and pass some of the savings to them. If you keep the car for a long time that difference becomes insignificant as long as you take good care of the car.

Most cars get into some sort of accident in it's lifetime but it doesn't mean the car is forever flawed. Also keep in mind that not all states will report car accidents on the Carfax so you will never know what you are buying anyway unless it's inspected and this is something they don't eliminate in the certification process.
It's worth consulting with a body shop professional for his opinion before purchase.
Old 09-29-14, 12:05 PM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the one your talking about from Canadian Fine Motors.. DONT DO IT!!!!

I'd spend the little bit extra and get this one from Ancanster Toyota... its newer and you could get a proper warranty package applied. If you went to negotiate you could probably get $1000 off that price.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/LS...&orup=13_15_29
Old 09-29-14, 02:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by triniexr
I saw the one your talking about from Canadian Fine Motors.. DONT DO IT!!!!

I'd spend the little bit extra and get this one from Ancanster Toyota... its newer and you could get a proper warranty package applied. If you went to negotiate you could probably get $1000 off that price.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/LS...&orup=13_15_29
you saw it and what did you find wrong with it ?

The one you posted has 10 000 more kilometres and is like $6000 more in price.

The one I went to see comes with a warrantee as well.

Quick Reply: Just test drove my first ls460-Considering purchase