LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 08:28 PM
rubio42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible purchase

Good evening guys,

Been a Toyota fan all my life, and I currently own 2 Lexus'. The 1st being a 2000 LX470 with 197K miles, purchased that when it had 165K and a 2008 IS 350 that I purchased with 89k miles. As we know Toyotas are tanks and reliability and high miles are not an issue as long as the vehicle has been cared for. However, here is the case:

I did like, and still like my IS350. However, the quality of this car seems to be a Soviet block one. The door panels are made of some sort of plastic, that when the sun hits, the material melts, the car squeaks like a old Expedition/ Navigator, such noises come from the rear seats, rear speaker panel, center console, etc, and I am to the point where I am ready to get rid of it and go for an LS460, possibly an 08 or 09 with high miles. I have had my LX and never had an issue and to this day it runs flawlessly.

Any issues with LS's from 08-09? any noises that have been documented by lots of owners? Mechanical issues? Things I should look for? My IS has not had any mechanical problems or issues, but when I look at the L on the steering wheel and I hear all the noise and look at the door panel it makes me think about how much of low quality Lexus developed such vehicle.

Thanks for your help on this matter,
Old 09-23-14, 07:55 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a used 2009 LS 460 with 73k miles on it about two weeks ago and was in your boat too. Based on my exposure to this forum so far one of the most common problems with the LS 460 is premature failure of the front end control arm bushings. The challenge is that Lexus does not make the bushings alone so you have to have the entire front control arms replaced when the bushings fail. This is expensive. I was quoted over $3000 to replace just the front end lower control arms not including the upper control arms (there are four upper control arms and four lower control arms between the two front wheels). You can try to have just the bushings replaced as there are a few aftermarket places which make the bushings. But the challenge with that approach is there aren't many aftermarket bushing options and not all mechanics are willing to remove the old bushings and press in the new bushings.

Other common issues with the LS 460 that I've noticed so far from this forum are the following:

1) Slight ticking noise from the engine due to the high pressure fuel injection system. This is not an issue which impacts performance and the most common conclusion I've read is that this is normal and we just have to live with it. Personally I only notice the ticking when I am stopped idling with my windows down, radio off and near an adjacent wall or car. I can see how it really annoys some owners since the expectation is that this thing should be near silent but it only marginally annoys me and I can live with it. When I'm driving, have the radio on or are having a conversation in the car I don't notice it. Acceleration and drive are silky smooth (assuming your control arm bushings aren't completely shot).

2) Brake actuator failure is another common problem it seems but I caveat that with the fact that I haven't read into this issue enough to speak intelligently about it. Perhaps you can do a search for it or maybe someone else can post something more detailed about it.

The common advice I've seen on this forum for potential LS 460 buyers is to get your used LS 460 with a Lexus warranty (NOT a third party warranty). It may cost you a few thousand but if you've got to repair the control arm bushings then it will pay for itself. The control arm bushings are a known issue at Lexus and has been confirmed many times to be covered under the Lexus warranty. Also, when performing your due diligence on any used LS 460 ask about the control arms or check the service history to see what has been serviced on it so far at Lexus.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-23-14, 08:51 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Also check the list of TSIB's available in the forum to see what has been or not done to the car.
Old 09-23-14, 09:02 AM
rubio42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wayman28
I just purchased a used 2009 LS 460 with 73k miles on it about two weeks ago and was in your boat too. Based on my exposure to this forum so far one of the most common problems with the LS 460 is premature failure of the front end control arm bushings. The challenge is that Lexus does not make the bushings alone so you have to have the entire front control arms replaced when the bushings fail. This is expensive. I was quoted over $3000 to replace just the front end lower control arms not including the upper control arms (there are four upper control arms and four lower control arms between the two front wheels). You can try to have just the bushings replaced as there are a few aftermarket places which make the bushings. But the challenge with that approach is there aren't many aftermarket bushing options and not all mechanics are willing to remove the old bushings and press in the new bushings.

Other common issues with the LS 460 that I've noticed so far from this forum are the following:

1) Slight ticking noise from the engine due to the high pressure fuel injection system. This is not an issue which impacts performance and the most common conclusion I've read is that this is normal and we just have to live with it. Personally I only notice the ticking when I am stopped idling with my windows down, radio off and near an adjacent wall or car. I can see how it really annoys some owners since the expectation is that this thing should be near silent but it only marginally annoys me and I can live with it. When I'm driving, have the radio on or are having a conversation in the car I don't notice it. Acceleration and drive are silky smooth (assuming your control arm bushings aren't completely shot).

2) Brake actuator failure is another common problem it seems but I caveat that with the fact that I haven't read into this issue enough to speak intelligently about it. Perhaps you can do a search for it or maybe someone else can post something more detailed about it.

The common advice I've seen on this forum for potential LS 460 buyers is to get your used LS 460 with a Lexus warranty (NOT a third party warranty). It may cost you a few thousand but if you've got to repair the control arm bushings then it will pay for itself. The control arm bushings are a known issue at Lexus and has been confirmed many times to be covered under the Lexus warranty. Also, when performing your due diligence on any used LS 460 ask about the control arms or check the service history to see what has been serviced on it so far at Lexus.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks for your answer and explanation of things. Will look into the carfax or get the VIN and check with Lexus (know someone at the service dep) and see what service history that particular LS has. I think the valves in the IS350 are loud enough and I can live with that.

Thanks again,
Old 09-23-14, 09:11 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

As far as the front control arms go, not every car has this problem but if you do it will cost you an arm if you take it to the dealer. They now sell aftermarket arms with the bushings for a ridiculously low price that any competent mechanic can install. You could probably get the whole job completed for under a thousand dollars and that is only if you ever develop that problem.

I would avoid any of the LS 460s with air suspension because they are not reliable and cost a small fortune to replace.
As this car gets older there will be a lot more third party parts available so it should be cheap to maintain and repair if that need ever arises. As far as the engine and the drivetrain goes it's solid as the engine in your IS. Your IS valve train probably has the same noise because of the high pressure fuel pumps.
Old 09-23-14, 09:37 AM
rubio42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
As far as the front control arms go, not every car has this problem but if you do it will cost you an arm if you take it to the dealer. They now sell aftermarket arms with the bushings for a ridiculously low price that any competent mechanic can install. You could probably get the whole job completed for under a thousand dollars and that is only if you ever develop that problem.

I would avoid any of the LS 460s with air suspension because they are not reliable and cost a small fortune to replace.
As this car gets older there will be a lot more third party parts available so it should be cheap to maintain and repair if that need ever arises. As far as the engine and the drivetrain goes it's solid as the engine in your IS. Your IS valve train probably has the same noise because of the high pressure fuel pumps.
Did call the service guy and said such job was about 4 to 5k Had to get that job done on my LX and it did run for about 1.2k. Did some research on the CA's and did see those after market parts. Only thing needed is a press.....

Still shopping around.... Thanks guys!
Old 09-23-14, 09:37 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Yes, Devh is right. I should clarify that the $3000 control arm replacement quote I received was from a Lexus dealership. Parts were about $2000 and the labor about $1000. However, if you look on Ebay you can find aftermarket control arms for MUCH cheaper (by over 70%). It's up to you whether you can live with aftermarket versus OEM.

Another option to save money on OEM parts is to shop around at different Lexus dealerships out of state (e.g., Sewell Texas, South Atlanta) because for some reason different Lexus dealerships sometimes sell the same part for different prices. I called 6 different Lexus dealerships in 5 different states and the variance in prices for the same exact part was over 20%.
Old 09-23-14, 09:56 AM
Devh
Racer

Yes, Devh is right. I should clarify that the $3000 control arm replacement quote I received was from a Lexus dealership. Parts were about $2000 and the labor about $1000. However, if you look on Ebay you can find aftermarket control arms for MUCH cheaper (by over 70%). It's up to you whether you can live with aftermarket versus OEM.

Another option to save money on OEM parts is to shop around at different Lexus dealerships out of state (e.g., Sewell Texas, South Atlanta) because for some reason different Lexus dealerships sometimes sell the same part for different prices. I called 6 different Lexus dealerships in 5 different states and the variance in prices for the same exact part was over 20%.
The dealership pricing for parts is ridiculous. My Honda Accord is considered one of the most reliable cars but it too needed new control arms bushings at 106k miles. I bought both arms complete on EBay for less then $70 for both and installed them myself.
I have experience with installing poly bushings and replacing control arms on other cars and the work is not that hard but much easier if you can get the complete arm. The Lexus control arms use tapered ends which require a ball joint separator tool which is very easy to use. If you know how to change brake pads and rotors you can do the control arm replacement. You can even take the car to any independent mechanic and have them do the work for you.
Old 09-23-14, 01:18 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Thumbs up

Rubio42, Lexus are incredible vehicles and you have purchased two already and that speaks for itself. Don't be deterred from purchasing your LS because any vehicle, new or used may have issues. I suggest a thural inspection at a Lexus dealer and they can get vehicle history if serviced by Lexus. If possible get the extended warranty because Lexus do breakdown. No vehicle is perfect but Lexus (Toyota) are known for dependability and reliability. The LS is an excellent vehicle.
Old 09-23-14, 06:57 PM
rubio42
Driver School Candidate

Well guys, thanks to you all for your inputs, and all things will be considered. Did get a 07 LS460 with 104K miles for a very good price and was able to get rid of the low quality IS. I test drove the LS and MY GOD what a ride. Will post some pictures later.

Thanks again....
Old 09-23-14, 07:51 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Congrats. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 09-23-14, 09:02 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 09-24-14, 04:08 AM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Ok where's the pics???
Old 09-24-14, 08:43 AM
Devh
Racer

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 09-24-14, 01:21 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubio42
Well guys, thanks to you all for your inputs, and all things will be considered. Did get a 07 LS460 with 104K miles for a very good price and was able to get rid of the low quality IS. I test drove the LS and MY GOD what a ride. Will post some pictures later.

Thanks again....
Very good.
In case anyone near CO is looking for a good used '08 LS460 Mountain States Toyota has mine for sale:

http://www.mountainstatestoyota.com/...6e9e5e1f7b.htm

They want about $25,991, they gave me $20,100 trade in ;->

Car is in great shape with <62,000 miles, just creeps to the right a little.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase