LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 06:43 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Hello again guys ,

Just wondering if anyone out there is upgrading the power on their cars and if so how they are doing it.

I have heard a few people complain that the 380hp is a bit lacking considering how big the car is, although ive heard many people say the same thing about the sc400 and the ls430 and both had more then enough power for my liking.

Looking around and I cant even seem to find a set of headers for these cars.

Im not looking to turbo or supercharge but it might be nice to install a set of headers, intake and exhaust to push the 380HP into the 400's to liven it up a bit, but so far it seems like theres not much going on aftermarket wise.

Im VERY excited about the thought of owning one of these cars , and I would really like to get the power up into the 400's if possible.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-14, 07:17 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I cannot honestly imagine anyone saying it is lacking in power. I have never thought that driving this car. It isn't a race car. It gets great gas mileage for a car it's size and has plenty of power. It will slam you back in your seat and gets right up on the highway. Want speed? I'd buy a separate car for that.

Would I take more power. Sure. But not if it's going to get me 10city and 15 hwy. That's just dumb if you are not getting on the gas all the time.
Old 09-20-14, 07:46 PM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned many sports car in the past, including a 2003 Dodge Viper SRT and I currently own a 2014 Corvette Stingray. My 2001 Lexus was a slow car even though it had 285hp. I always wished it had more power. However, with the LS460, I never wished for more power. The LS 460 is NOT a slow car or lacking power by any means.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (02-06-21)
Old 09-20-14, 08:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The LS 460 is NOT a slow car or lacking power by any means.
Yeah, no kidding. 0-60 in sub 6 second range is more than enough for anyone...especially when you're raking in the fuel economy we're getting.

Headers???!! No thanks...too noisy.
Old 09-20-14, 09:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

that's great to hear guys

im not a speed freak or looking to turn the LS into something its not ,,,,even my old sc400 (250hp) which everyone said was slow ,,had enough power for my liking.

My ls430 with 290hp is also very powerful in my opinion.

Im sure the 460 will have enough power for me , but it would be nice if we had some options to kick it up a bit that's all.

headers, intake and exhaust should be able to get it into that 400 range which would be nice .
Old 09-20-14, 09:45 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't seen any headers yet, would probably be JDM brands if exists.
AEM had a prototype intake that a CL member was running, I don't know the status of whether it is in production or not.
There's a fair amount of exhaust options- number of JDM brands (Suruga Speed, Toms, Aimgain, INGS, and more), Megan, or custom with your choice of mufflers/resonators
Old 09-20-14, 10:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1Putt
Haven't seen any headers yet, would probably be JDM brands if exists.
AEM had a prototype intake that a CL member was running, I don't know the status of whether it is in production or not.
There's a fair amount of exhaust options- number of JDM brands (Suruga Speed, Toms, Aimgain, INGS, and more), Megan, or custom with your choice of mufflers/resonators
that's a shame , and im very surprised that they don't have any out yet.

With a set of headers , a nice intake, and free flowing exhaust we would be in the 400+ HP range.

Basically AMG territory only without the supercharger, more reliability and far better gas mileage
Old 09-21-14, 02:54 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be nice if it could keep up with the cars it competes with but it just cannot. I'd like the car to be at least a 13 sec car.
Old 09-21-14, 04:20 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

I agree the car is great the way it is and I agree it is better to buy a used car for the weekend.

Still it is fun to consider a high-performance LS

There are several companies in Japan that I've seen on the Internet that modify the Lexus. They sell suspension upgrades, engine upgrades and exhaust Upgrades.

I've also read on the Internet that Lexus is considering a limited production of the 460 by some company with three initials. I think it might be TMG or T GM or something like that. If that is true then you could buy the upgraded parts from them.

Mercedes has the AMG version of the S class. BMW has the M and Audi has the S. If Lexus makes a T or whatever it's called I might consider buying one
Old 09-21-14, 10:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

There is no point and no free lunch with trying to exploit more power from these engines.
This is not an old American V8 that can benefit from bolt on performance. Toyota has exploited the power from this motor by it's current technology of VVT and direct injection. Headers require quiet a bit of sophisticated engineering to be of any benefit and you will need a stand alone computer to make the corrections to exploit any gains from it. The only way to get any measure of acceptable power is with the HKS supercharger.
People who look at numbers like 400hp as any measurable yardstick for performance are delusional. The most important part of a luxury car is the quality of power and it is in concert with the gearing and the overall curb weight of the car and in this regard the 460 is overfull filled in this department. Giving a big car like this 20 more horsepower to make 400 is not going to be felt in a boat.
Some people need to stop trying to turn their luxury car into a lead sled, it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Devh; 09-21-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 10:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
There is no point and no free lunch with trying to exploit more power from these engines.
This is not an old American V8 that can benefit from bolt on performance. Toyota has exploited the power from this motor by it's current technology of VVT and direct injection. Headers require quiet a bit of sophisticated engineering to be of any benefit and you will need a stand alone computer to make the corrections to exploit any gains from it. The only way to get any measure of acceptable power is with the HKS supercharger.
People who look at numbers like 400hp as any measurable yardstick for performance are delusional. The most important part of a luxury car is the quality of power and it is in concert with the gearing and the overall curb weight of the car and in this regard the 460 is overfull filled in this department. Giving a big car like this 20 more horsepower to make 400 is not going to be felt in a boat.
Some people need to stop trying to turn their luxury car into a lead sled, it's ridiculous.
Exactly. 20 hp will not be felt except as a "placebo effect". Reminds me of those who said they changed their air filter for a K&N and couldn't believe how much quicker their car was as a result.

When I owned my Ford F350 (Diesel), many forum members such as myself added tuners and had increases of up to 200 hp and similar gains in torque. The effect was incredible and immediately noticeable....BUT at a cost of transmission overheating/failure, blown head gaskets, etc. 20 hp??!! No thanks.
Old 09-21-14, 10:49 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Exactly. 20 hp will not be felt except as a "placebo effect". Reminds me of those who said they changed their air filter for a K&N and couldn't believe how much quicker their car was as a result.

When I owned my Ford F350 (Diesel), many forum members such as myself added tuners and had increases of up to 200 hp and similar gains in torque. The effect was incredible and immediately noticeable....BUT at a cost of transmission overheating/failure, blown head gaskets, etc. 20 hp??!! No thanks.
The automotive bolt on world is very similar to what the high end audio world was. The placebo effect brought on by suggestive advertising is a gold mine.
For the longest time ricers have always used arbitrary ridiculous horsepower goals as a measure of vanity then anything that is actually useful. Spending loads of money so they can forum brag, all the while the guys operating the dyno cheat the customer by skewing the calibration.
We have reached a point where some of these cars have too much power for the average owner.
What I have found that is most important is not the amount of horse power but a flat torque throughout the rev range.
Old 09-21-14, 11:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What I have found that is most important is not the amount of horse power but a flat torque throughout the rev range.
AND driveability. The two almost never go hand in hand.
Old 09-21-14, 11:51 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

I would say the HP on the LS 460 is more than adequate. I see no reason to upgrade with headers, intake, etc. and if so there is always a payoff. Lexus don't offer a V12 but the 600h L is awesome and more powerful.
Old 09-21-14, 11:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus don't offer a V12 but the 600h L is awesome and more powerful.
Am I missing something here? I thought the 600 was 870 lbs heavier than the 460 and thus, slower to 60 mph despite the hp bump.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?