LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 02:11 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Was this during the test drive you took? Did you get a chance to mash the peddle to the floor during the test drive? Most places around here won't let you which is why I ask.
Old 10-06-14, 02:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I saw posts on gas mileage on the thread...believe it or not I'm averaging between 26-27.9 weekly. I drive around 500 miles a week, mostly highway, but believe me I'm caught in plenty of traffic as well. I'm averaging better fuel economy than my wife gets in her honda crv.
Old 10-06-14, 03:39 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Was this during the test drive you took? Did you get a chance to mash the peddle to the floor during the test drive? Most places around here won't let you which is why I ask.
One of the test drives I have taken last year around this time literally slammed the perched up sales lady riding in the back seat violently when I floored the AWD model. I apologized profusely after seeing her go flying from my rear view mirror but I did not feel much of anything because it's all about the perception of speed.
The few times that I have floored the car I have now, the passenger feels it but I generally don't but visually you can see everything speed up quick.
Old 10-13-14, 06:22 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spend some time in the car before you decide on if you want to push for more power. This is not a "fun" car to go around hot-rod'in around in. It's a plush GT car. Something that you can take from coast to coast on a road trip. Look into what replacements for this car cost. If you do your own labor consider that a freebe. If not expect to fork out more than people typically do for tuner cars.

A blown engine in an LS might be able to afford you a nice weekend speed machine. So consider two cars if you like the LS that much. If you are a one vehicle type of person than don't hop up your daily transportation. After all it's your ride to and from work.

Also if you don't do your homework on what needs to be done, and skip a critical step, your expensive labor of love will double when you blow up the motor. I've seen it way too many times. Many people try to make a slow car fast and waste a bunch of money. They should have just saved it for a better platform, a car that's already fast.

As for the LS I think your better off leaving it alone. It's already a great package. Nothing worse than screwing up what's already great (gas mileage, reliability)
Old 10-13-14, 08:31 PM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 LS 460 RWD Short Wheelbase. It is a very quick car for it's size and the fastest of all the 460 models (more efficient drivetrain gives more HP and Torque and the added weight of the L is removed) .

Lexus reports that it has a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds.

The 460 is slower than the 760 BMW and faster than the S550 to 60 MPH

http://carsort.com/compare/Lexus-LS-...s-Benz-S-Class

I have never ceased to surprise my passengers as we smoothly and quietly merge into 70 MPH traffic

I think the money saved on boosting horsepower on any 350 +HP car could be better used by most of us on more advanced driver training. I remember my first BMW Club Driving school and the instructor set the lap time to beat in a 142 Volvo, no one in the class got even close to his time and most were 10 seconds or more slower a lap.
Old 10-17-14, 06:57 PM
atl4love
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a set of k&n air filter you will notice power in your ls
Old 10-17-14, 07:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by atl4love
get a set of k&n air filter you will notice power in your ls
Ohhh Puhleeeeeze..

Do we really need to go down this road AGAIN?
Old 10-17-14, 08:58 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about just a short trip up the alley?

When I bought my K&N filters recently, I also got the cleaner and oil - all of it from Amazon. So when I decided not to use the filters, I filled out the return form with no problem, but when I got to the cleaner and oil, Amazon informed me they could NOT be returned due to hazardous materials. Uh, but I had already boxed everything up with the original receipt, so I just slapped the shipper for the filters on the box and dropped it off at UPS. Week or so later, I get email from Amazon giving me full credit for the filters AND the cleaner/oil.
Old 10-18-14, 02:40 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Agreed more hp may not be needed... how bout just removing the limiter? i was comin back from Charlotte one Thanksgiving following an SL550 an we were playing around (@ about 100mpg 11pm fri night after turkey day on 95south NO ONE ELSE ON THE ROAD AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE) every time I'd hit 135 he'd pull away... WAY AWAY.. then slow back down to my limited 135.. he wound up following me all the way back to FL(K40 radar/laser).. but it was saddening to know, he could just haul *** an leave me at will.
Old 10-18-14, 06:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Ohhh Puhleeeeeze..

Do we really need to go down this road AGAIN?
I feel like im living 2004 all over again. I thought by now this argument has been settled on most every auto and truck forum.
Old 10-18-14, 08:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I feel like im living 2004 all over again. I thought by now this argument has been settled on most every auto and truck forum.
'cept here at CL, apparently.
Old 10-18-14, 06:56 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have an LS460, congrats on owning one of the most reliable full-size lux sedans out there. Seriously.

From experience with a '10 LS460 AWD, I wholeheartedly agree with CruzinZ and a few others. The LS has adequate power, but is in no way to be confused with fast much less its little brother quick. Furthermore, it has zero handling chops. On the other hand, it delivers an incredibly smooth and quiet ride. It almost entirely isolates the driver (and passengers) from the outside in a sumptuous cabin. If you're thinking about one, better make sure you're ok with its trade-off's.

I was oh so close, but just couldn't do it. The LS' winning combo of high(est)-quality int materials and incredibly quiet ride (plus the AWD I yearned for) was absolutely captiavating. The uncompetitive 60 time was one thing, but its inability to take a corner at anything faster than a Buick driven by a blue haired senior was too much to stomach in the end (no, I wasn't driving it like an arsehole). It's an unparalleled long distance cruiser in my book, but a real snoozer doling out zzz's around town. YMMV, of course.

Edit: In the interest of full-disclosure, I live at ~4.5k feet where the thinner air robs power from NA power plants. It was not faster than my eight year older '02 GS430 and more than likely slower. Why Lexus thought it was OK to neuter the heavier LS AWD model is difficult to understand.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-23-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 09:15 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im dropped on coils I can throw my ls in corners the onlt trade off is a harder ride but some already plush I can deal with it. hopefully the next gen gets the 5.0
Old 10-19-14, 05:56 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought I'd post another comment up. With being a big heavy car it's not going to handle very well. Additional speed is only going to get you to the next corner quicker. Chances are if you don't have the skill sets to control the car the outcome is usually a trip to the hospital/wrecking yard.

Try a high performance driving school. It will be expensive and on the low end and cost somewhere around $500 for a half day or $750 for a full day. The positive thing is being able to use their cars. Wear and tear you don't have to worry about. Skilled instructors will be available to guide you throughout the day. I will openly admit that 99% of car enthusiasts do not have the skill to come close to the performance of their cars. It only takes one day at a track with a skilled instructor to humble those people who think otherwise.

Spend your money wisely as I'm sure it doesn't grow on a tree in your backyard. Instead of making a car faster how about making the driver faster? The more time you spend on a track in a controlled environment the more you realize there is a time and place for everything. Get your speed fix on a track away from people going about their everyday lives. We all have the right to go home each night to spend time with our family's. Someone playing around on the streets in a fast car is not only putting their life in jepority, something I could care less about, but also the innocent people around them. If someone wants to go out and test their cars high speed capibilitys in the desert I'm all for it. As long as there is not another sole around. If you are the type that wants to double the speed limit on Main Street in town you only ruin it for the rest of us. We already have too much government restrictions. More accidents through stupidity will only result in more laws and less freedom.
Old 10-19-14, 09:58 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Thought I'd post another comment up. With being a big heavy car it's not going to handle very well. Additional speed is only going to get you to the next corner quicker. Chances are if you don't have the skill sets to control the car the outcome is usually a trip to the hospital/wrecking yard.

Try a high performance driving school. It will be expensive and on the low end and cost somewhere around $500 for a half day or $750 for a full day. The positive thing is being able to use their cars. Wear and tear you don't have to worry about. Skilled instructors will be available to guide you throughout the day. I will openly admit that 99% of car enthusiasts do not have the skill to come close to the performance of their cars. It only takes one day at a track with a skilled instructor to humble those people who think otherwise.

Spend your money wisely as I'm sure it doesn't grow on a tree in your backyard. Instead of making a car faster how about making the driver faster? The more time you spend on a track in a controlled environment the more you realize there is a time and place for everything. Get your speed fix on a track away from people going about their everyday lives. We all have the right to go home each night to spend time with our family's. Someone playing around on the streets in a fast car is not only putting their life in jepority, something I could care less about, but also the innocent people around them. If someone wants to go out and test their cars high speed capibilitys in the desert I'm all for it. As long as there is not another sole around. If you are the type that wants to double the speed limit on Main Street in town you only ruin it for the rest of us. We already have too much government restrictions. More accidents through stupidity will only result in more laws and less freedom.
Very good suggestion and also well thought out post!!

I've been to a few driving schools (Audi, Spring Mountain, BMW Performance Center) and have to say that the driver mod is one of the Best investments that you can make in your driving enjoyment! While it didn't turn me into Mario Andretti, I do have a better idea as to what I'm doing now and how to correct something should I get into a situation.

I agree that they can get costly, but they are a Blast and what you can learn is worth it (just my opinion)! Where else can you get not only permission, but encouraged to beat the crap out of a car and not feel bad about doing it?

As cruiznZ said, If you do go to one, I suggest checking your ego at the door though! If you go in with a clean slate and want to learn, you'll do much better than if you go in thinking you can out drive everyone there, you will get taught a lesson in humility.

I was in one class where we had a Guy that was like that and he learned that he wasn't as good as he thought. As a matter of fact, he was second slowest in the class and the instructors set out to prove that he wasn't as sharp as he thought he was........and No, it wasn't me! I went in with a clear mind that I wanted to "Sponge" everything that they had to offer to teach me!

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?