LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Old 10-02-14, 10:27 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Thanks for the info. I enjoy reading and learning about the different tuning of the various brands. I also agree that if you understand the basics of tuning and tuning management, it's pretty much all the same. They just may take different routes to get the final results.

I'm new to Toyota/Lexus, but want to learn about them, so I Appreciate the info that you're sharing. Thanks for that.
You are most welcome
What would be interesting is seeing a GM LS engine swap into one of these cars as the fastest rout to power then trying to exploit whatever little the sock engine can provide. There really is no replacement for displacement and reliability.

Last edited by Devh; 10-02-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 11:07 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
You are most welcome
What would be interesting is seeing a GM LS engine swap into one of these cars as the fastest rout to power then trying to exploit whatever little the sock engine can provide. There really is no replacement for displacement and reliability.
There is actually a replacement for displacement though....Forced Induction (turbo's , superchargers, etc.) and also they are Really reliable for the power that they're capable of making.

My old Vette made 602 RWHP on a stock short block, through an A4 trans, stall speed and still got 29 mpg on the highway. I know it sounds like I'm BS'ing, but it's true. That's what's nice about FI, is that when you're not in boost, it drives like a normal vehicle.They are Amazing motors.

Just tuning those LS motors can get 45+ more RWHP. They really are incredibly receptive motors with A LOT of potential in them.

I agree that an LS swap into one of these would be VERY COOL! I've never seen one done and you'd definitely have something different. I never thought of that.
Old 10-03-14, 11:18 AM
Devh
Racer

There is actually a replacement for displacement though....Forced Induction (turbo's , superchargers, etc.) and also they are Really reliable for the power that they're capable of making.

My old Vette made 602 RWHP on a stock short block, through an A4 trans, stall speed and still got 29 mpg on the highway. I know it sounds like I'm BS'ing, but it's true. That's what's nice about FI, is that when you're not in boost, it drives like a normal vehicle.They are Amazing motors.

Just tuning those LS motors can get 45+ more RWHP. They really are incredibly receptive motors with A LOT of potential in them.

I agree that an LS swap into one of these would be VERY COOL! I've never seen one done and you'd definitely have something different. I never thought of that.
I agree with that todays Turbo technology is far more reliable and can yield a generous amount of power and efficiency, in some cases better efficiency then a non turbo car. You also end up with a lighter motor.
BMW is going to offer three cylinder turbo charged motors for the ultimate weight savings.

It would seem the LS motor has been swapped into just about everything including if you can believe in little MR2 Spyder.
If someone one ever decides swap one of these engines into our LS 460 I would like to see it done with noise reduction in mind so it behaves like the old luxury cars with big blocks. That would be unique.
Old 10-03-14, 02:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for the info!

So it's like a Sprint Booster, except they load it into the ECM/ECU?

Sprint Booster explanation..................................
It's a bunch of BS what they are saying on their website. You gain absolutely nothing by putting that junk on your car.

http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertis...s-it-worth-it/

Conclusion

In my opinion sprint boosters don’t offer any benefits. People perceive improved response with a sprint booster but do not realize that if they desired that response without the sprint booster, all they had to do is operate the accelerator pedal aggressively. It is simply a voltage amplifier and you can only ever have between 0 and 100% throttle regardless of how you amplify it. I am 100% certain, based on the laws of physics, my understanding of process control and information provided by sprint booster manufacturers, that the response provided by a sprint booster can be perfectly replicated by pushing the accelerator pedal further, minus the almost imperceivable time it takes to move the pedal a bit more. A sprint booster adjusts the voltage signal that indicates accelerator pedal position. It’s extremely clear that the scope of a sprint booster’s control is limited to adjusting the apparent position of the accelerator pedal. Some sprint booster owners will argue the response can’t be emulated by pushing the pedal harder and faster. I am certain it can. The system is very simple to evaluate. The laws of physics are extremely clear. There is no claim to be made to the contrary unless the physics can be explained.

So in my opinion there is no advantage. Why be forced to be jerky with the throttle when you could have a choice? The perceived advantages are not really there, but the disadvantages are real. Even if a sprint booster was given to me for free I would not install it. I prefer having precision control over the vehicle’s throttle. I prefer driving smoothly, efficiently and safely.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get a sprint booster. Many people like them. In fact I’d suggest that most people who’ve tried one like the result. People like the feel of the throttle response. Regardless of the fact that they can be perfectly replicated by pushing the pedal further, if you enjoy driving with a sprint booster then it’s a good thing. Try one out and see if you like it. However it is not a performance enhancement and won’t improve engine response or acceleration.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-03-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 10:20 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

I agree with that todays Turbo technology is far more reliable and can yield a generous amount of power and efficiency, in some cases better efficiency then a non turbo car. You also end up with a lighter motor.
BMW is going to offer three cylinder turbo charged motors for the ultimate weight savings.

It would seem the LS motor has been swapped into just about everything including if you can believe in little MR2 Spyder.
If someone one ever decides swap one of these engines into our LS 460 I would like to see it done with noise reduction in mind so it behaves like the old luxury cars with big blocks. That would be unique.
I agree! I'd Definitely subscribe to watch that build! It would be Awesome!

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It's a bunch of BS what they are saying on their website. You gain absolutely nothing by putting that junk on your car.

http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertis...s-it-worth-it/
I Never said that I believed that they worked, I was just pointing out something that is the same boat as a $69 "chip" tune. Sometimes the old adage: "You get what you pay for" holds some truth!

Have a Great Day!
Old 10-04-14, 08:56 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the LS needs more power. Sad that my Tundra would make my LS seem like it's standing still
Old 10-05-14, 06:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Sad that my Tundra would make my LS seem like it's standing still
With "500+ HP", (504 to be exact), I would hope so. Apples to Oranges.

Throw that same supercharger pkg into the LS and then the numbers change.
Old 10-05-14, 09:39 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I think the LS needs more power. Sad that my Tundra would make my LS seem like it's standing still
That's one of the Great things about the LSx motor packages. The LS motors take to mods with open arms. What are seemingly little things can make some Big power!

On the LSA motors (Supercharged motor in the CTS-V), some people have picked up 90-100 hp by putting in the cam out of the LS9 (ZR1) and tuning it.

Please don't even get me started on FI packages because a simple Procharger, Vortech, Paxton will give you 140+ the box. Pully it down, tune it and 200+ RWHP is not unheard of..........On a Stock Block!

Not bad for an antiquated pushrod V8!
Old 10-05-14, 01:32 PM
Devh
Racer

I have to be presumptuous here but the LS without the AWD is plenty fast for a luxury car.
The reason why you don't feel the sensation of speed is mainly because you are isolated.
What's limiting the LS from a start is traction control and in the off position it's the tires.
The LS could use some torque fill in the midrange but apart from that speed is relative and you will eventually get use to it, and it's never enough.
Old 10-05-14, 06:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I have to be presumptuous here but the LS without the AWD is plenty fast for a luxury car.
No kidding.....Any car weighing two tons that can get to 60 in 6 seconds puts a smile on my face. Have we really become that spoiled??!! I remember when modern cars crossed the 7 second threshold (90's Mustang GT) and that was seen as a big deal. LOL
Old 10-06-14, 08:20 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a baseline dyno. The car hit the 130mph speed limiter so it is probably good for 310hp.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?-image.jpg  
Old 10-06-14, 08:58 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

The reason why you don't feel the sensation of speed is mainly because you are isolated.
What's limiting the LS from a start is traction control and in the off position it's the tires.
The LS could use some torque fill in the midrange but apart from that speed is relative and you will eventually get use to it, and it's never enough.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No kidding.....Any car weighing two tons that can get to 60 in 6 seconds puts a smile on my face. Have we really become that spoiled??!! I remember when modern cars crossed the 7 second threshold (90's Mustang GT) and that was seen as a big deal. LOL
I agree Completely and couldn't have said it better!

I usually drive ours normally, and rather sedate, but once in awhile I'll need to "get on it" a bit, and it really doesn't disappoint me. Whether it be to merge into traffic on the highway or pass someone or just the need to go a bit faster. It is pretty surprising to me how well this boat can move, especially for it's weight. Lexus built a Nice car!

I also agree Roadfrog, that we do become spoiled too!

Originally Posted by GXAlan
Here is a baseline dyno. The car hit the 130mph speed limiter so it is probably good for 310hp.
Thanks for the graph GXAlan!

Is your car AWD or RWD?
Old 10-06-14, 01:04 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Completely and couldn't have said it better!

Thanks for the graph GXAlan!

Is your car AWD or RWD?
2011 RWD. Costco 91 octane. Penzoil 0w-20. Car with 53k miles.

The stock performance is pretty good. Additional performance will likely be a big hit to fuel economy and carbon footprint.

I just wish I could stiffen the chassis. The braces sold on ebay do not have torque specs and it is unclear if it fits 2010-2012.
Old 10-06-14, 01:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
We are reaching a point where we have exceeded or at least have diminishing returns on just about everything our human bodies can perceive.
The so called "retinal display 4k" resolution is maximizing our human limits to appreciate discernable differences is a good example. I have an audio device as small as any MP3 player that can play resolutions of 24bit depth at 192khz, nobody's ears are that good.
I'm digressing but the point I'm trying to make is if you feel you need a faster luxury car for the street that will do 0-60 in sub 5 seconds there is no excuse to call anything that quick underpowered ever for most peoples human ability on the street to appreciate.
Old 10-06-14, 02:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I drove a 460 swb recently (which is the fastest of all 460's) and the feel is not of a very powerful car, what it does is manage to make a 4500 pound car feel like a very light Honda accord.

it does actually make the car feel much lighter then it is ,,and seems fun to drive,,, but ........................it sorta drives like a Honda

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?