LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 03:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I'll chime in here for the OP since there seems to be a handful of comments, but not a whole lot of research:

As previously mentioned, the largest power increase is provided via the HKS/Tom's Supercharger and the Rotrex Turbines that Japanese manufacturers sell:

There are other bolt-on modifications such as equal length headers made by other Japanese retailers as seen here:

Here's a clip of how the headers sound on our vehicles:
レクサス LS460sz ワンオフエã‚*マニ - YouTube

There is also a bored/larger TB available for our vehicles by Think Design, Craft Tec, and another company that escapes me at the moment:

Cusco/OS Giken also make 1/2-way LSDs for our transmissions.

Bear in mind, power modifications are available for any car. Off-the-shelf or custom, it's a matter of how badly you want the power and whether or not it's worth your hard earned money to spend it.
Thanks a lot man for the informative post.

Those headers sound amazing.

I don't have nearly enough money nor would I want to put my engine at risk by forced induction, but id really give some thought into some headers and intake if the pricing was reasonable.

Thanks again
Old 09-22-14, 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Here's a video

Old 09-22-14, 07:09 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Anyone ever try gforce performance chips? I used to deal with super chips back in the day. I'll look them up tomorrow. .

http://www.gfchips.com/lexusls460.aspx
Old 09-22-14, 08:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Anyone ever try gforce performance chips? I used to deal with super chips back in the day. I'll look them up tomorrow. .

http://www.gfchips.com/lexusls460.aspx
Heck, for 69 bucks, I'd be willing to give it a shot. They also offer a, "no questions asked" refund if not 100% satisfied.
Old 09-22-14, 09:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Heck, for 69 bucks, I'd be willing to give it a shot. They also offer a, "no questions asked" refund if not 100% satisfied.
Remind me to PM you about a bridge I have to sell.

Make sure you google up BBB D+ rating, ripoffreport, etc for these guys before buying.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-22-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 09:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Remind me to PM you about a bridge I have to sell.
If your bridge is 69 bucks, then I might be interested.

Can't really go wrong. I could sell it on EBay if I don't like it....or just toss it away. I pay less for a lunch out with my mates.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-23-14 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-23-14, 04:01 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what ya think after installing it.
Thanks.

If your bridge is 69 bucks, then I might be interested.

Can't really go wrong. I could sell it on EBay if I don't like it....or just toss it away. I pay less for a lunch out with my mates.
Old 09-27-14, 10:00 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

$69 isn't such a good deal if it blows your motor up!.

Sometimes, you do get what you pay for.

I learned about tuning on my old C5 Vette (Self tuned, supercharged, meth drinking BEAST that put down 602 to the wheels) and it's not something that I'd risk.

Now, $69 for a good bridge isn't a bad deal. I'd spend your money on that! You'd probably get more for your money!

Those headers are Really Nice looking and appear to be quality built. Not too mention that car sounds Great! I'd hate to know the price though (actually, curiosity has gotten the best of me and I would actually like to know, but Please let me sit down first)!

Last edited by FreddyG; 09-27-14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 06:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

$69 isn't such a good deal if it blows your motor up!.
LOL. Why and how would it "blow your motor up"? I'm pretty familiar with tuners and this a very modest hp increase. In general, tuner chips fool the motor into thinking that the air temp is cooler than it is, making the car run richer and changing the timing. This is why I doubt the chip will gain you any mpg, but will give you very modest hp increase.

I've decided against the chip, but only because the hp increase will be un noticeable.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-30-14 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 08:58 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

LOL. Why and how would it "blow your motor up"? I'm pretty familiar with tuners and this a very modest hp increase. In general, tuner chips fool the motor into thinking that the air temp is cooler than it is, making the car run richer and changing the timing. This is why I doubt the chip will gain you any mpg, but will give you very modest hp increase.

I've decided against the chip, but only because the hp increase will be un noticeable.
I'm a bit familiar with tuning too (GM's mostly) and here's just a few ways that it can do some damage:

Adding timing where it's not suppose to be added..
Messing with the AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio)and setting it where it's not suppose to be.
Changing tables that aren't supposed to be messed with.
Messing with cam timing by making it too aggressive,etc.

I'm not sure how tuning a Lexus works (although I'd like to know ), but by changing the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor to think that the IAT's are lower, could actually create engine knock (detonation) and pull timing, thus making the car slower. So now you've spent $69 to make your car slower.

All of these things can lead to possible damage, if you don't know what you're doing. Not too mention, I Guarantee that if they scan your tune, that $69 snake oil is voiding your warranty!

I don't know how Lexus works, but GM can and will scan your tune for changed variables if you pop that motor. They won't warranty something if they have a loop hole to get out of it.

In closing, by making the car run richer, would make the car run slower. Any stock car that I've looked at the OEM tune is already fat (richer) from the factory. It makes the tune safer and is better for the motor. Making the car run leaner makes it faster (to a point, in that to lean can blow it up by not having enough fuel).

Once again, I'm used to GM cars, and this whole Lexus thing is new to me. So if I'm wrong Please tell me because I'd like to learn as much as I can about this car.

Not trying to argue but it's just what I've found. Maybe you've seen different results.

As stated above, if I'm wrong I invite you (and look forward) to you correcting me.
Old 09-30-14, 09:52 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I'm a bit familiar with tuning too (GM's mostly) and here's just a few ways that it can do some damage:

Adding timing where it's not suppose to be added..
Messing with the AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio)and setting it where it's not suppose to be.
Changing tables that aren't supposed to be messed with.
Messing with cam timing by making it too aggressive,etc.

I'm not sure how tuning a Lexus works (although I'd like to know ), but by changing the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor to think that the IAT's are lower, could actually create engine knock (detonation) and pull timing, thus making the car slower. So now you've spent $69 to make your car slower.

All of these things can lead to possible damage, if you don't know what you're doing. Not too mention, I Guarantee that if they scan your tune, that $69 snake oil is voiding your warranty!

I don't know how Lexus works, but GM can and will scan your tune for changed variables if you pop that motor. They won't warranty something if they have a loop hole to get out of it.

In closing, by making the car run richer, would make the car run slower. Any stock car that I've looked at the OEM tune is already fat (richer) from the factory. It makes the tune safer and is better for the motor. Making the car run leaner makes it faster (to a point, in that to lean can blow it up by not having enough fuel).

Once again, I'm used to GM cars, and this whole Lexus thing is new to me. So if I'm wrong Please tell me because I'd like to learn as much as I can about this car.

Not trying to argue but it's just what I've found. Maybe you've seen different results.

As stated above, if I'm wrong I invite you (and look forward) to you correcting me.
Everything is relatively the same with the Toyota engines. The newer Toyota aluminum blocks are quiet sensitive to overheating and if that happens it will melt the block. It generally doesn't happen because the cooling systems is quiet good but if you ever have a loss of coolant you need to pull over immediately.
If one of the parameters is out of bounds (knocking) for anything fuel or timing related and a check engine light is illuminated and the car will go into limp mode by retarding the timing and making the car richer.
It's hard to blow these motors unless you trick the computer.
Old 10-01-14, 09:16 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
Everything is relatively the same with the Toyota engines. The newer Toyota aluminum blocks are quiet sensitive to overheating and if that happens it will melt the block. It generally doesn't happen because the cooling systems is quiet good but if you ever have a loss of coolant you need to pull over immediately.
If one of the parameters is out of bounds (knocking) for anything fuel or timing related and a check engine light is illuminated and the car will go into limp mode by retarding the timing and making the car richer.
It's hard to blow these motors unless you trick the computer.
Thanks for the info. Every car maker has their own issues with motors and stuff like that. It's good to know that about Lexus' being overheating in case that ever happens. I'd pull over immediately anyway, but it's still good info to have.

So the names of some of the settings might be different, but the functions sound like they are the same as other cars. Code might be different, but there aren't a lot of different ways to manage an engine.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-01-14, 03:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Thanks for the info. Every car maker has their own issues with motors and stuff like that. It's good to know that about Lexus' being overheating in case that ever happens. I'd pull over immediately anyway, but it's still good info to have.

So the names of some of the settings might be different, but the functions sound like they are the same as other cars. Code might be different, but there aren't a lot of different ways to manage an engine.

Thanks again for the info.
Basic engine technology is shared across all modern engine platforms. Some salient features like the kind of cam phasing technology or injection systems might be different but you can't get around the basic correlation of fuel, spark and air.
The computers that regulate all of the maps and safe guards for Toyota is far more advanced then a stand alone aftermarket computer for performance. The problem is the factory uses a clever encryption that cannot be hacked.
On that note I decided to sell my stand alone for my other Toyota because of the pitfalls of tuning that you mentioned. Most performance driven enthusiasts don't seem to understand this paradox and only see the bottom line not realizing there is no free lunch.

Last edited by Devh; 10-01-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 06:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

All the device does is trick your car into thinking you are pushing the gas pedal harder then you are. Only way to tune a Lexus engine is with a full management system. Unfortunately.
Old 10-02-14, 09:22 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
Basic engine technology is shared across all modern engine platforms. Some salient features like the kind of cam phasing technology or injection systems might be different but you can't get around the basic correlation of fuel, spark and air.
The computers that regulate all of the maps and safe guards for Toyota is far more advanced then a stand alone aftermarket computer for performance. The problem is the factory uses a clever encryption that cannot be hacked.
On that note I decided to sell my stand alone for my other Toyota because of the pitfalls of tuning that you mentioned. Most performance driven enthusiasts don't seem to understand this paradox and only see the bottom line not realizing there is no free lunch.
Thanks for the info. I enjoy reading and learning about the different tuning of the various brands. I also agree that if you understand the basics of tuning and tuning management, it's pretty much all the same. They just may take different routes to get the final results.

I'm new to Toyota/Lexus, but want to learn about them, so I Appreciate the info that you're sharing. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
All the device does is trick your car into thinking you are pushing the gas pedal harder then you are. Only way to tune a Lexus engine is with a full management system. Unfortunately.
Thanks for the info!

So it's like a Sprint Booster, except they load it into the ECM/ECU?

Sprint Booster explanation..................................

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?