LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 12:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Am I missing something here? I thought the 600 was 870 lbs heavier than the 460 and thus, slower to 60 mph despite the hp bump.
I think the poster meant a more powerful engine and drive system which is true as far as numbers are concerned on paper.

What is always missing with these horse power number games and 0-60 yard sticks is the quality of power.
The V12 gives you two inline 6 motors not necessarily four more cylinders. This translates into a motor that can deliver a flat torque curve and a smooth one at that which is internally balanced.
This is quality of power and the 600 with it's electric drive can mimic this kind of desired effect in a luxury car.
Old 09-21-14, 01:25 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
that's a shame , and im very surprised that they don't have any out yet. With a set of headers , a nice intake, and free flowing exhaust we would be in the 400+ HP range. Basically AMG territory only without the supercharger, more reliability and far better gas mileage
Have you taking a 460 out for an test drive?

If not please do, I think you may see what others are saying that the HP is more than enough or adequate and I think you will be pleased with the power. I'm in the camp that is fine with the smooth V8 and she will move when required too but again the 460 is meant to be a land yacht.
Old 09-21-14, 02:57 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thoughts here. I recently went for a ride with my cousin in his dad's Dodge Challenger. Maybe a 2010 or so. Plenty of muscle and get up and go. We went out on the highway, where he punched it to show me the power. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I think my LS would do the same. It wouldn't be as loud and glamorous, but I think it would have kept up. Point I'm trying to make is that the LS has plenty of power. Would I like some cheap add on power? Maybe. Would I spend thousands to increase it to 500 hp? No. Would I drop another $30K on a weekend cruiser? No. It fulfills all my desires. As road frog stated, sub 6 zero to 60 is pretty impressive. Is it an AMG or BMW M? No, but it satisfies me and my wife. Of course her satisfaction is the most important thing. Related to that, my cousin said the Challenger was too loud for his mom to ride in. Who wants to cruise on the weekend if their hot wife ain't riding with them? Not me. I guess if your looking to pick up chicks, It might be different. Best of luck to ya!!!
Old 09-21-14, 03:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
There is no point and no free lunch with trying to exploit more power from these engines.
This is not an old American V8 that can benefit from bolt on performance. Toyota has exploited the power from this motor by it's current technology of VVT and direct injection. Headers require quiet a bit of sophisticated engineering to be of any benefit and you will need a stand alone computer to make the corrections to exploit any gains from it. The only way to get any measure of acceptable power is with the HKS supercharger.
People who look at numbers like 400hp as any measurable yardstick for performance are delusional. The most important part of a luxury car is the quality of power and it is in concert with the gearing and the overall curb weight of the car and in this regard the 460 is overfull filled in this department. Giving a big car like this 20 more horsepower to make 400 is not going to be felt in a boat.
Some people need to stop trying to turn their luxury car into a lead sled, it's ridiculous.
its amazing that even on this forum , which is the top of the line Lexus , you still got guys who wait around for ANY opportunity to try to pounce on someones question to try to look like the hero lol

WHERE does it say I want to turn the 460 into something its not ????

People who use documented horsepower as a measure of performance are delusional? Tell me then genius where does the ****ing power come from ? The voltage in the fuse box?

Also your wrong about these engines being maxed out and exploited already, these engines are geared and tuned to walk the fine line between performance, reliability, long life and gas mileage, they are not geared towards raw power and performance that's just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Tee
Have you taking a 460 out for an test drive?

If not please do, I think you may see what others are saying that the HP is more than enough or adequate and I think you will be pleased with the power. I'm in the camp that is fine with the smooth V8 and she will move when required too but again the 460 is meant to be a land yacht.
I have a strong feeling your right , even with my ls430 it has enough power for me , ive done absolutely nothing to it and have no plans too either.

I was just checking in to see what options were available
Old 09-21-14, 03:25 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I understand your plight..I'd love a lil more top end an better passing ability. For those roadtrips where stubborn people dont wanna move or let u in. Plz lemme know what you find out. I also agree i highly doubt its anywhere near maxed out..
Old 09-21-14, 03:35 PM
Devh
Racer

its amazing that even on this forum , which is the top of the line Lexus , you still got guys who wait around for ANY opportunity to try to pounce on someones question to try to look like the hero lol

WHERE does it say I want to turn the 460 into something its not ????

People who use documented horsepower as a measure of performance are delusional? Tell me then genius where does the ****ing power come from ? The voltage in the fuse box?

Also your wrong about these engines being maxed out and exploited already, these engines are geared and tuned to walk the fine line between performance, reliability, long life and gas mileage, they are not geared towards raw power and performance that's just ridiculous.

I have a strong feeling your right , even with my ls430 it has enough power for me , ive done absolutely nothing to it and have no plans too either.

I could go into a long thought out explanation but it would fall on deaf ears. Your measure of a yard stick is different then mine.
Old 09-21-14, 07:58 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure be nice to bypass the top speed restriction of this car, besides that I'm happy with its performance.
Old 09-21-14, 08:01 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by derpie
Sure be nice to bypass the top speed restriction of this car, besides that I'm happy with its performance.
If you did where would you drive it.
Old 09-21-14, 08:34 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd take it to the track, only lol.
Old 09-21-14, 10:07 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All over the west. There are plenty of good, flat, safe places to stretch your car's legs out west. And plenty of legal opportunities to do so, some on track, many off. Lexus trying to play mommy and limit top speed is just silly. Especially when they seem to think Europeans don't need the same mommying. It's a bit insulting really. Good thing I love the car and didn't buy it for a speed fix.
Old 09-22-14, 09:20 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

These engines can probably handle a lot more power. I have 2 guys in my crew that have supercharged gs400's and those engines were the company's top of the line engine in the GS and LS. Makes good power over stock and has been really reliable. I can't imagine them making an engine a decade later that couldn't do the same.

Oh yeah the top speed restriction is really kind of ridiculous in the 460. Yeah very rarely take it that high. Only really when I drive down to Los Angeles and have a good stretch. 110 is the max. The car can go much faster.

Last edited by lbintab; 09-22-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 10:21 AM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i

1Willy1, If you are happy with your LS430, then you will be VERY happy with the power of the LS460. I was never happy with my LS430, but I kept it because it was a beautiful and reliable car.
Old 09-22-14, 11:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Especially when they seem to think Europeans don't need the same mommying. It's a bit insulting really. Good thing I love the car and didn't buy it for a speed fix.
It may have something to do with the litigious mentality in the US. Something non-existant in pretty much every other country. Lexus isn't looking out for YOU, they're looking out for themselves. I don't blame 'em.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-22-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 11:44 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll chime in here for the OP since there seems to be a handful of comments, but not a whole lot of research:

As previously mentioned, the largest power increase is provided via the HKS/Tom's Supercharger and the Rotrex Turbines that Japanese manufacturers sell:

There are other bolt-on modifications such as equal length headers made by other Japanese retailers as seen here:

Here's a clip of how the headers sound on our vehicles:

There is also a bored/larger TB available for our vehicles by Think Design, Craft Tec, and another company that escapes me at the moment:

Cusco/OS Giken also make 1/2-way LSDs for our transmissions.

Bear in mind, power modifications are available for any car. Off-the-shelf or custom, it's a matter of how badly you want the power and whether or not it's worth your hard earned money to spend it.
Old 09-22-14, 11:57 AM
Devh
Racer

I will give credit where credit is due and those equal length headers are really impressive and probably tuned right. It does sound like a small LS1 and a little like a flat crank V8. Although it seems like a great option and the only option I would trust, Toms products as well as many of the highly manufactured aftermarket products from Japan are so expensive it really calls into question how deep your pockets are.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?