LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 01:29 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The school I did had all professional racers for instructors. It was worth every dime and I feel that every car enthusiasts should attend at least one. If you really want to enjoy the year with a car then do several a year. This is not only great entertainment but also keeps your skills up. As the old saying goes if you don't use it you lose it. This holds true with driving at your limit.

I chased down every car on the track and had to pull in the pits to allow enough distance between myself and the other cars. I'll have to admit I had a huge advantage coming off sport bikes and the sense of speed just wasn't there the first few sessions. Towards the end of the day I was able to push the car to the point that it started to get light coming off a hill at the end of a long straight right at a breaking point.

One of the instructors took another student for a hot lap. I was right on his six after he pulled out of the pits. He progressively increased his speed for three laps trying to shake me. During the lunchtime break he asked who was behind him and I came forward that it was me. I told him if he would have stayed out there for another lap I would have overtaken him. He admitted that he was overdriving the car and was impressed with the speed I was able to obtain for the first time on a track.

After this experience I picked up a track suit for the sport bike and knew I had to get the bike out on the track. I managed to get in one track track day under my belt before the accident. A car pushed me off the road into some boulders and banged me up. 15 broken bones total and a plate and 7 screws to put the wrist back together. I'm lucky to be alive as I woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

My life has changed drastically and it's now time to slow down. Things I'll miss about bikes include: slowing down on the straights at Buttonwillow Raceway from 150mph to 40mph for turn one. Passing power that comes with a thought and slight twist of your wrist. Comrade of fellow bikers.

The sense of speed and open air adventure is something that will forever be with me. Cars can be fun but are missing a whole dimension that can't be replaced by modern day sportbikes. If anyone wants a low mileage Goldwing GL1800 with matching tow behind trailer let me know.
Old 10-19-14, 04:24 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Thought I'd post another comment up. With being a big heavy car it's not going to handle very well. Additional speed is only going to get you to the next corner quicker. Chances are if you don't have the skill sets to control the car the outcome is usually a trip to the hospital/wrecking yard.

Try a high performance driving school. It will be expensive and on the low end and cost somewhere around $500 for a half day or $750 for a full day. The positive thing is being able to use their cars. Wear and tear you don't have to worry about. Skilled instructors will be available to guide you throughout the day. I will openly admit that 99% of car enthusiasts do not have the skill to come close to the performance of their cars. It only takes one day at a track with a skilled instructor to humble those people who think otherwise.

Spend your money wisely as I'm sure it doesn't grow on a tree in your backyard. Instead of making a car faster how about making the driver faster? The more time you spend on a track in a controlled environment the more you realize there is a time and place for everything. Get your speed fix on a track away from people going about their everyday lives. We all have the right to go home each night to spend time with our family's. Someone playing around on the streets in a fast car is not only putting their life in jepority, something I could care less about, but also the innocent people around them. If someone wants to go out and test their cars high speed capibilitys in the desert I'm all for it. As long as there is not another sole around. If you are the type that wants to double the speed limit on Main Street in town you only ruin it for the rest of us. We already have too much government restrictions. More accidents through stupidity will only result in more laws and less freedom.
Well said. Especially to those that want to remove the speed restriction and want to engage in felony speeding.
The LS is not a sports car and it will never be one until it loses half its weight.
Trying to turn a big car like this into a corner carver is ridiculous way to spend ones money.
The best thing to do is buy a second car.
Old 10-20-14, 10:04 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm Sorry to hear about your accident! That's painful, not only for your body, but because it's hard to stop doing something that you're Passionate about (until you realize that it might hurt you worse or possibly kill you the next time. That should help make the decision a bit easier).

If you miss the open air concept and still want protection, you could always look at an exo-skeleton car (I'll use an Ariel Atom as an example, but other less expensive or build your own options are available too). They Absolutely fly and have been tested to be as quick or even quicker than bikes around tracks. They are also a Blast to drive and can be made to be street legal too.

They are MUCH safer than riding a motorcycle because the chassis is also a full cage. They're Really cool and you can drive the crap out of them. The front suspension and tire is out in the open, so picking your line and getting up on the curbing is as easy as pointing the tire where you want it.

Here's that tool Jeremy Clarkson driving one:
Old 11-14-14, 11:24 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the thread. 12 of my last 14 cars were Infiniti v8 powered vehicles with the recent ones with 400HP +. The Infiniti big sedan is just too small for my needs now so ended up in a new 2014 LS460 L AWD. . My top concern was the HP loss with the AWD and L weight. I made the plunge and love the car, two days in now. It's fast and top speed while limited is all I need, but as a defensive driver, know speed can be used as a satiety feature if you find your self in a jam and need to get out of there fast. The slight loss in HP along with more weight of the AWD and L which I needed for a mountain home in NM at almost 10k feet above sea level and for the few ice storms in the N. TX area is what I was interested in finding a safe way to make up. If exhausts and/or cold air in takes could give me 25 to 30 HP for something like $3k I would consider it but after reading this post, I'm sticking with the Lexus manufactured performance which is nice. I really like the way the transmission and high speed performance smoothly accelerate up to full speed on a freeway after a truck slowed me down or in getting up to speed quickly in an on ramp.
Old 11-14-14, 11:40 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
Thanks for the thread. 12 of my last 14 cars were Infiniti v8 powered vehicles with the recent ones with 400HP +. The Infiniti big sedan is just too small for my needs now so ended up in a new 2014 LS460 L AWD. . My top concern was the HP loss with the AWD and L weight. I made the plunge and love the car, two days in now. It's fast and top speed while limited is all I need, but as a defensive driver, know speed can be used as a satiety feature if you find your self in a jam and need to get out of there fast. The slight loss in HP along with more weight of the AWD and L which I needed for a mountain home in NM at almost 10k feet above sea level and for the few ice storms in the N. TX area is what I was interested in finding a safe way to make up. If exhausts and/or cold air in takes could give me 25 to 30 HP for something like $3k I would consider it but after reading this post, I'm sticking with the Lexus manufactured performance which is nice. I really like the way the transmission and high speed performance smoothly accelerate up to full speed on a freeway after a truck slowed me down or in getting up to speed quickly in an on ramp.
Very rarely I had use power in the application of defensive driving and it's probably because I placed myself in a foolish situation to begin with. With experience and being an alert driver you can avoid far more potential accidents in the making rather then barreling your way though with the right of way without looking ahead for potential situations where slowing down is far more effective.
A modern luxury car like the LS has more then enough power, in-fact it is overfilled and can get a person into trouble without the experience. The purpose of power should be for the application of luxury, low end and midrange torque.
It is far wiser to get a proper car for power and handling.
Old 11-14-14, 12:10 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Devh
Very rarely I had use power in the application of defensive driving and it's probably because I placed myself in a foolish situation to begin with. With experience and being an alert driver you can avoid far more potential accidents in the making rather then barreling your way though with the right of way without looking ahead for potential situations where slowing down is far more effective.
A modern luxury car like the LS has more then enough power, in-fact it is overfilled and can get a person into trouble without the experience. The purpose of power should be for the application of luxury, low end and midrange torque.
It is far wiser to get a proper car for power and handling.
I agree with most of what you said, but believe driving near other vehicles and the time spent side by side while passing can be dangerous and prefer to minimize time side by side which means pass quickly. is it rare to have a problem yes it is but reducing that time is driving more safely. Yes it is.

I'm 67 and not had an accident I caused in 48 years. The one accident I was in during those 48 years was not avoidable with speed as a teen ran a red light right in front of me. I drive 20-30k miles a year and have successfully kept myself out of unsafe positions with Infiniti's and a couple of Lexus's designed to handle well at highway speeds, but on the margin I believe speed can be used too be marginally safer, unlike you.
Old 11-14-14, 02:18 PM
Devh
Racer

I agree with most of what you said, but believe driving near other vehicles and the time spent side by side while passing can be dangerous and prefer to minimize time side by side which means pass quickly. is it rare to have a problem yes it is but reducing that time is driving more safely. Yes it is.

I'm 67 and not had an accident I caused in 48 years. The one accident I was in during those 48 years was not avoidable with speed as a teen ran a red light right in front of me. I drive 20-30k miles a year and have successfully kept myself out of unsafe positions with Infiniti's and a couple of Lexus's designed to handle well at highway speeds, but on the margin I believe speed can be used too be marginally safer, unlike you.
I admire your record of safety and only hope I can follow in your foot steps. So far I'm on track but unfortunately I had two horrific car accidents and one was my fault that was speed related hitting a deer that came out of nowhere.
Old 11-14-14, 06:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

So far I'm on track but unfortunately I had two horrific car accidents and one was my fault that was speed related hitting a deer that came out of nowhere.
You like Rush....you owned BMW's that bit you in the rear and wallet.....AND you hit a deer.

Are you my unknown twin!??! LOL
Old 11-14-14, 06:31 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

I admire your record of safety and only hope I can follow in your foot steps. So far I'm on track but unfortunately I had two horrific car accidents and one was my fault that was speed related hitting a deer that came out of nowhere.
Hard to call hitting a deer your fault, it's more like the kid who ran a red light in front of me with no time to react regardless of the speed.
Old 11-14-14, 06:54 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You like Rush....you owned BMW's that bit you in the rear and wallet.....AND you hit a deer.

Are you my unknown twin!??! LOL
Imagine that. I'm just throwing it out there and one of my other passions is making good cup of espresso.
Old 11-14-14, 07:02 PM
Devh
Racer

Hard to call hitting a deer your fault, it's more like the kid who ran a red light in front of me with no time to react regardless of the speed.
It was certainly my fault acceleration at thrice the speed limit on a back road with my Dodge Stealth. Didn't even see it coming but things would have been very different if I didn't accelerate so quickly without knowing what was ahead of me. It was not a learning experience or any kind of lesson in life, it was just plane arrogant stupidity on my part that clearly could have been avoided.
Old 11-15-14, 11:09 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said. Especially to those that want to remove the speed restriction and want to engage in felony speeding.
The LS is not a sports car and it will never be one until it loses half its weight.
Trying to turn a big car like this into a corner carver is ridiculous way to spend ones money.
The best thing to do is buy a second car.
The LS600hL is heavy: 5220 lbs and she has HP 445 only. Nevertheless, that is no a slow car. With 265/30 ZR 22 tires cornering is fun in sport mode as well. Lexus limits the LS at 130 or 160 mph. On 22's it is close to 170 mph.

I love the CVT. Electric motor outputs a lot, see battery charge:

Old 11-15-14, 11:22 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by whitetooth
The LS600hL is heavy: 5220 lbs and she has HP 445 only. Nevertheless, that is no a slow car. With 265/30 ZR 22 tires cornering is fun in sport mode as well. Lexus limits the LS at 130 or 160 mph. On 22's it is close to 170 mph.

That might be the case in Germany but you have one big advantage and it's not only because your roads are built for it.
Your countries culture of respecting and enforcing awareness on the road and how much harder it is to obtain a license has the US at a big disadvantage. We are greatly limited by the guy who wants to eat a Quarter pounder (Royale with cheese) while texting their genitalia to their girl friend. This is why having speed restriction probably prevents a horrendous fifteen car pile up on our interstates.
Old 11-15-14, 11:39 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by whitetooth

Maximum speed and acceleration LEXUS LS600hL - YouTube
Awesome video, anyone replaced the battery yet? What's the damage?
Old 11-15-14, 04:37 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might be the case in Germany but you have one big advantage and it's not only because your roads are built for it.
Your countries culture of respecting and enforcing awareness on the road and how much harder it is to obtain a license has the US at a big disadvantage. We are greatly limited by the guy who wants to eat a Quarter pounder (Royale with cheese) while texting their genitalia to their girl friend. This is why having speed restriction probably prevents a horrendous fifteen car pile up on our interstates.
Right, precisely what it is about and I'm aware of it!
I watch the plates to see where folks are coming from and know their experience at high speed. Same with car models, Vauxhall owners seem to have a mechanical brain

Many drivers in Germany are able to drive very fast without any risks due to daily training. However, those cooking their pea soup in the cabin are spread worldwide. For truck drivers cruising is boring and I feel the same when I'm at low speed. I never was sleepy at 160 and day light, LOL.

Many owners of powerful cars are unable to drive fast because they never did and have no training. Pet instead of push, that is typical for a Porsche. For removing the speed limiter BMW offers test runs with exam.

Right, a Lexus LS is faster as many owners can drive, is faster as city limit but all cars have always for some people not enough HP. Asking for more is not because of higher speed, it is of beeing able to drive faster in theory which is in reality nearly never the case.

Installation of the LFA engine in a Lexus LS would be great, but it is not possible. No modular approach by Lexus. I asked them. 650 HP as in the TS-650 is also not offered. RC-F has less than 100 HP more and ISF less than 80 more. Too expensive to exchange the different parts.

I found HKS supercharger, Tom's compressor and NOS as solutions. HKS and Tom's is for LHD only AFAIK.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrading the Horsepower on their LS460?