LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sorry but I have to ask , how many of you are still HAPPY with your LS460???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 11:30 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

In my opinion, the LS460 is one of the best luxury cruisers on the road. While this opinion is based on having the LWB version, I think many qualities of this car are shared across both platforms. When I was looking for a car that could take me to and from work every day (60 miles round trip) I wanted a reliable car that looked good, was comfortable enough for long drives, had relatively decent MPGs, and was preferably in the mid-to-upper luxury segment. The LS460 kept checking each and every one of those boxes every time I looked at it.

It has a feathery ride (on air suspension) that didn't feel like a ship at sea on the expressway (which is where I spend most of my time).
It looks great.
It is quick enough yet could get 30 mpg at the right speed.
It is extremely quiet on the inside.
It has what I would consider a modern-day interior layout which fit me, both aesthetically and functionally, very well.
It has little luxury features like rotating headlamps, dynamic cruise, heated steering wheel (really wanted this option), power door locks, rear window and rear door shades, alcantera headliner, adjustable seat cushion, extra leather on the doors, rear seat controls, and 4-zone climate control.
It has an unbelievable stereo system.
It has limo-like legroom in the back.
It's a safe car.

These certainly aren't the only features that I like about the LS460, but it seemed to be the only, or at least one of very few cars, that was able to give me all that for what I would consider a reasonable price. I looked at the German competitors but was too scared to take the plunge given the stereotypical reliability concerns of those makes. With the Lexus I knew that (1) I was getting quality that was on average better than the German cars, and (2) I could get a Platinum warranty that would keep me going for many more years without any worries. I also looked at the LS430, but to me the differences between the two cars was too drastic. The more primitive interior, the more dated exterior, and the lack of some of the features that I really wanted basically closed that avenue pretty quick.

Well after about a month of ownership, I am glad to say that the car is everything I expected it to be and more. It's a pleasure to drive no matter the weather and it gives me a chance to sit back and relax when I am heading to and from work.

PS, on the whole subject of warranty vs no warranty, I figured that the price of a Platinum VSA added to the price of the car is the total price of the vehicle. I was comfortable paying some grand total amount for an LS460 that would be covered for a very long time and didn't view it as an "added" cost. I just wanted a car that would do all the things I described above and be covered under a warranty plan. I was able to get that with the LS460.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 09-25-14 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 11:56 AM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have had a 2010 LS Sport for one year. No issues other than noisy brembo brakes. I do 46 miles per day commuting in LA traffic and it is a sanctuary. With the Prestige society device I can watch movies as I crawl along. If this lasts as well as my GS400, its a major win for me. My wife drives a Cayenne. It has had major design flaws that have cost us $$$. It is a very expensive vehicle and even the independent shops are $$. Luckily I have been able to do most of the work myself, but it is so over engineered that the amount of work to do even a simple job is just staggering. But it does go fast and handle way better than most cars I have ever driven. There are always tradeoffs. Just buy something and enjoy it. There is a price to pay for entry into anything. Hobbies, cars, wifes...
Old 09-25-14, 02:00 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
My wife drives a Cayenne. It has had major design flaws... But it does go fast and handle way better than most cars I have ever driven
mine drives a 2011 Acura MDX and let me tell you that car handles like a small sports car...we had a TL prior and apparently great handling runs in the Acura family of cars but for a large SUV, the MDX is unbelievable. And of course, it comes with the Honda reliability at a price point way lower then the Cayenne.

anyhow, I digress...
Old 09-26-14, 02:28 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been following this thread with interest and noticed the last couple of posts. My 2011 MDX Advance is my third MDX, and while I have enjoyed the vehicles I am considering two options for my next vehicle. There are several times when I need an SUV so one option is a Cayenne. I have two friends with Cayennes and they have had no issues. In fact one just this week replaced his 2003 Cayenne with 200k+ miles (some of which are off-road) with a new Cayenne.

My second choice is keep my MDX and purchase from a client of mine an 07 LS460. She has between 35k and 40k miles on it and has said I can have first opportunity when she is ready to get a new vehicle. I don't need another extra vehicle, but I still might buy it and drive it for a time.
Old 09-29-14, 09:38 AM
Hermes16
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im getting semi bored with mine, but at the end of the day, i know there was no other choice with the reliability. its not a 7 series nor an s class but you need to sacrifice certain things when choosing an LS in my opinion
Old 09-30-14, 12:41 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes16
im getting semi bored with mine, but at the end of the day, i know there was no other choice with the reliability. its not a 7 series nor an s class but you need to sacrifice certain things when choosing an LS in my opinion
What things were sacrificed if i may ask?
Old 09-30-14, 03:58 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
What things were sacrificed if i may ask?
I had a 2014 535i before moving to the LS460. BMW iDrive in the 5/7 series offers a lot of great features

1- ability to use navi while driving
2- can play videos from USB drives
3- can read NTFS formatted drives
4- plays 24/96 FLAC
5- traffic is HD radio based
6- can use voice control to search for destinations via Google
7- can flash headlights, lock doors, and send destinations via phone to the car

Other features of the BMW which are great
1- LED headlights available as an option (as opposed to LS600h only)
2- surround view cameras available as an option
3- power moonroof cover. (the trim part of the moon roof is powered).
4- comfy seats

Features of the BMW which are not so good.
1- When they break down, they break down catastrophically. (I lemon'd my BMW 5 series after >30 days in the shop in the first 3 months).
Old 09-30-14, 04:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I also agree that the BMW is a better riding car. I could care less about the novelties and gadgets, only about what counts which is the ride. Having said that BMWs are drivers cars not owners cars, leasing is the best option to enjoy them.
The Lexus is the best way to own a better built car in my opinion and it has value. It also doesn't do weird things all the time like the BMW which is full of drama.

Last edited by Devh; 09-30-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 08:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It also doesn't do weird things all the time like the BMW which is full of drama.
Like being married to a sex-starved, super model......with a 500 dollar a day coke habit.
Old 09-30-14, 09:44 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Like being married to a sex-starved, super model......with a 500 dollar a day coke habit.
Yes but she gives you a better ride.
The quickest ride to the cleaners only to end up on some suckers lap.
BMWs are the proverbial hell raiser box.
Old 10-02-14, 12:24 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not bashing Cayenne's. I wanted to buy the new model, but we don't need two gas hogging SUV's. I am on that forum for the 1st and 2nd phase models. There are design flaws that hit every V-8. Coolant pipes, drive shafts and leaking fuel gas seals. There are more for the turbos. The 6 cylinder model has been very very good. I would not buy a 2011 or 2012, but 2013 and up, sure.
Old 06-26-15, 02:16 PM
btexprs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned Lexus's since 2003 and I have to say they are the most reliable cars on the road today. I've had the ES300, GS300 and RX400H. I only recently bought a used 2013 LS460 F-Sport. I love the looks and how it feels to drive but I have to say there are some problems. Brembo brakes squeal ALL THE TIME!! It's sooooo annoying. I have been searching for aftermarket replacements for the pads. I'm also disappointed with the mileage 15/21 mpg on average. However, I can deal with the mileage but these brakes are almost intolerable. Otherwise I love the car.
Old 06-26-15, 03:07 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by btexprs
I have owned Lexus's since 2003 and I have to say they are the most reliable cars on the road today. I've had the ES300, GS300 and RX400H. I only recently bought a used 2013 LS460 F-Sport. I love the looks and how it feels to drive but I have to say there are some problems. Brembo brakes squeal ALL THE TIME!! It's sooooo annoying. I have been searching for aftermarket replacements for the pads. I'm also disappointed with the mileage 15/21 mpg on average. However, I can deal with the mileage but these brakes are almost intolerable. Otherwise I love the car.
If there is one area that Toyota messed up this is it. Brembo brakes or for that matter most performance brake calipers that use performance pads squeal and produce corpus amounts of dust. That is just the nature of performance braking and it is not meant for luxury cars but since Mercedes and BMW do it to look cool Lexus needs to as well to be competitive. It is no wonder that it's biting them back with customers that are not aware of the double edge sword drawbacks for the street.

Last edited by Devh; 06-26-15 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 03:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I know this is really going to bother some LS430 trolls, but I have put 26k miles on my LS460 since September and I haven't had one single problem. Not one. I'm at 100k miles and the thing runs like its brand new - and I have the "dreaded" 07 LS460. The horror!
Old 06-26-15, 04:58 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
If there is one area that Toyota messed up it this is it. Brembo brakes or for that matter most performance brake calipers that use performance pads squeal and produce corpus amounts of dust. That is just the nature of performance braking and it is not meant for luxury cars but since Mercedes and BMW do it to look cool Lexus needs to as well to be competitive. It is no wonder that it's biting them back with customers that are not aware of the double edge sword drawbacks for the street.
You are right and the noise is a result of the Brembo brakes being so large and not heating up enough. You can try to switch to a ceramic pad as a semi-metallic brake pad is what came standard. Best wishes!

Quick Reply: Sorry but I have to ask , how many of you are still HAPPY with your LS460???