LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sorry but I have to ask , how many of you are still HAPPY with your LS460???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 04:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Sorry but I have to ask , how many of you are still HAPPY with your LS460???

Hello guys,

im sorry if this is a redundant question or if it causes negative responses but I would really appreciate if you guys could chime in and let me know if your still happy with your LS460 after owning it for so long, your opinions at this time would be very important for me.

I love my LS430 , but God has been very good to me this year and financially im ready to step it up a notch into something newer.

I have bounced around so much , originally I wanted a C5 or C6 corvette, came within an inch of buying one two months ago , then I realized the monster AMG's are becoming quite affordable, the e55, S55, CLS55 etc... but the reliability issues with them has made it impossible to even consider.

I was into the sc430's for a while but im sort of off them now.

I hate audis, I hate bmw's so there a non issue.

So I find myself back to the LS460's , I have been trolling the forums a lot off and on, I know about the stuttering issue many of you are having after an oil change, I know about the noisy ticking engine that is annoying/scaring a lot of people, and the little issues here , the recalls , the valve issues , and these were the reasons that originally had me looking elsewhere.

But it seems to me that even with these issues the 460 still is leading the game in reliability compared to its competition, but after owning an SC400 and LS430 ive been very used to trouble free cars, and I just don't want to get myself into an expensive headache if I don't have too.

With that said seeing some of the modified 460's , have really , REALLY got me wanting one.

So just looking to hear how you feel about your 460's now, how expensive has it been to maintain, what sort of repairs and issues have you had , and most of all, are you happy with your car and would you buy it again if you had the chance to go back.?

Thanks a lot guys
Old 09-17-14, 04:46 PM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your exact predicament a month ago. I was in between the SC430 and SL550. I decided on my LS460 and have been super happy with my decision. By the way, have you ever had a vette before? If not, ride in one first before you consider one. I currently own the 2014 Corvette Stingray, and while it is a very exciting car, it's no lexus! For a new car, there are annoying rattles and squeaks, and it is a very small and tight car with a lot of engine noise and engine vibration. My vote is for the LS 460. I also experienced some of the wind noise; the engine hesitation after oil change, and the brake shutters.....however, I feel that I still made the correct decision because the wind noise has been addressed; the oil change....I will go back to Toyota oil, and not use Mobil One; and as to the brakes, just go aftermarket rotor and brakes since it has worked for a lot of members here.
Old 09-17-14, 04:53 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happy with LS 460

I am on my third Lexus and have been happy with all three. My present one is a 2012 LS460AWD, without air suspension (on purpose). I have owned the car 2 and one half years and am very happy with it. When the time comes for another car it most likely will be another Lexus. The reliability and the service is outstanding through my Lexus Dealer. Would not feel comfortable with another manufacturer.
I am a devout Toyota person. Have owned 12 Toyota/Lexus products. Presently have a Toyota 4RUNNER and it has been flawless. Previous brands I owned were American and had loads of problems.
Old 09-17-14, 04:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vincentesq
I was in your exact predicament a month ago. I was in between the SC430 and SL550. I decided on my LS460 and have been super happy with my decision. By the way, have you ever had a vette before? If not, ride in one first before you consider one. I currently own the 2014 Corvette Stingray, and while it is a very exciting car, it's no lexus! For a new car, there are annoying rattles and squeaks, and it is a very small and tight car with a lot of engine noise and engine vibration. My vote is for the LS 460. I also experienced some of the wind noise; the engine hesitation after oil change, and the brake shutters.....however, I feel that I still made the correct decision because the wind noise has been addressed; the oil change....I will go back to Toyota oil, and not use Mobil One; and as to the brakes, just go aftermarket rotor and brakes since it has worked for a lot of members here.
thanks man , and yes, I did test drive and have my mechanic inspect a 2000 silver C5 coupe.

Fun to drive, loads of power(had headers, intake and exhaust , 6 speed) but man , just seems to be a sort of crappy car in terms of quality.

Ripped leather , shakey rattly noises, and just sort of bland interior.

Im also member of corvette forums and I learned a lot about them, the pros are the parts can be bought for very cheap , but some parts are discontinued, such as the ABS computer, so if it dies youre out of luck , and they seem to have a share of electrical gremlins and other issues, but still very tempting to get one.

So by sticking to Toyota oil rather then other brands has the hesitation issue been resolved?

Thanks for your response
Old 09-17-14, 05:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Valley101
I am on my third Lexus and have been happy with all three. My present one is a 2012 LS460AWD, without air suspension (on purpose). I have owned the car 2 and one half years and am very happy with it. When the time comes for another car it most likely will be another Lexus. The reliability and the service is outstanding through my Lexus Dealer. Would not feel comfortable with another manufacturer.
I am a devout Toyota person. Have owned 12 Toyota/Lexus products. Presently have a Toyota 4RUNNER and it has been flawless. Previous brands I owned were American and had loads of problems.
sounds good man thanks for the reply, I am also a strong Lexus Loyalist, and I have been saddened by some of the issues regarding the 460, but im hoping most of them have been blown out of proportion, and that's what im here to find out .

If I had a choice I would also go with a non air suspension, I have never had one and I don't feel the need to try it out.
Old 09-17-14, 05:01 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

I'm completely happy with my 2010 LS 460 L. I've had it over 2 years and it live up to my expectations. It's a pleasure to drive and a head turner. I keep the maintenance up to date plus I purchased the extended warranty for a peace of mind. The left rear air shock, amp, and auto trunk closer replaced but covered under warranty. My next car will be another LS, however, I'm not impressed with the spindle grill on the current models. No regrets.
Old 09-17-14, 05:42 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had five Corvettes. From 1998 to 2005. Sold my 05 convertible 2 1/2 years ago. Would only buy a convertible if I every get one again. I also recommend Michelin Pilot A/S run-flats so you get a decent ride. Sold it because I was getting tired of it. Fun at first. Miss it on beautiful days/evenings. Bought a 2007 LS460 two years go with 60K, has 93K now and certified runs out in 7K. Kinda nervous about owning without a warranty. Paid 32K, dealers want to give me 17-18 for a trade now. Looked at GS350s, BMY 335i Convertibles. Itchy I guess. I bought/sold two SC430's after i sold the Vette too.

Last edited by GregoryNP; 09-17-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 05:54 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Hello guys,

im sorry if this is a redundant question or if it causes negative responses but I would really appreciate if you guys could chime in and let me know if your still happy with your LS460 after owning it for so long, your opinions at this time would be very important for me.

I love my LS430 , but God has been very good to me this year and financially im ready to step it up a notch into something newer.

I have bounced around so much , originally I wanted a C5 or C6 corvette, came within an inch of buying one two months ago , then I realized the monster AMG's are becoming quite affordable, the e55, S55, CLS55 etc... but the reliability issues with them has made it impossible to even consider.

I was into the sc430's for a while but im sort of off them now.

I hate audis, I hate bmw's so there a non issue.

So I find myself back to the LS460's , I have been trolling the forums a lot off and on, I know about the stuttering issue many of you are having after an oil change, I know about the noisy ticking engine that is annoying/scaring a lot of people, and the little issues here , the recalls , the valve issues , and these were the reasons that originally had me looking elsewhere.

But it seems to me that even with these issues the 460 still is leading the game in reliability compared to its competition, but after owning an SC400 and LS430 ive been very used to trouble free cars, and I just don't want to get myself into an expensive headache if I don't have too.

With that said seeing some of the modified 460's , have really , REALLY got me wanting one.

So just looking to hear how you feel about your 460's now, how expensive has it been to maintain, what sort of repairs and issues have you had , and most of all, are you happy with your car and would you buy it again if you had the chance to go back.?

Thanks a lot guys
I prolly owned my LS now for a little over a month, and I must say that this car is an "ABSOLUTE BEAST"!!!. I never owned a vehicle (and trust me I owned few in my lifetime) to where I just wanted to constantly clean it, and find better ways to improve the looks, or to just admire it when you walk away after closing the door. I never really cared about my other vehicles either or cleaned them for that matter (had my Son's do it). I just bought some expensive leather cleaner and exterior cleaner & wax for ole lex (still can't believe how this car done enchanted me with some sort of spell), and I'm gonna do the job myself. If I do get another car down the road it will definitely be a Lexus. When I got my car serviced today, the Lexus dealership was gonna give me a loaner car (which was a variety of different Lexi) of my choice free of charge. I turned it down just to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of being in the dealership (even the bathroom was eloquent). I can go on and on about the many different things that truly impressed me about this particular car, the extremely congenial people at the dealership, and the whole ambience of the dealership itself, but it's only the beginning for me, and I haven't experienced any negatives yet (hopefully none anytime soon or ever).
Old 09-17-14, 06:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

This is an interesting thread. It would be revealing and much more accurate for LS460 owners who do NOT have a Lexus warranty to comment on their happiness and the amount of money they are spending to keep the car in shape. I have a feeling majority of you here have or plan on purchasing the extended warranty considering it is mentioned in threads all the time. It is only me that sees that this is a problem? If everyone is saying don't buy one without a warranty there seems to be a disconnect regarding what reliability actually means.
Old 09-17-14, 07:09 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As someone who actually owns a 460, I do have an extended warranty. Reason is, I am prepared should anything go wrong with my expensive vehicle. It cost 80K new. Parts are expensive. Repairs are expensive. If something happens, I would like to have it covered and not have to pay out of pocket.

Common sense will tell you that with an 80K dollar car, parts and repairs are going to be expensive. This forum is but a small fraction of 460 owners. Most have come here because something went wrong with their cars and they came looking for help or advice.

A thread on this forum is not accurate as I have stated that most came here because something went wrong. It is but a small amount of the owners. Gauging reliability from this small amount of people who may have already had an issue is in no way an accurate representation. Having said that, I am not concerned about the long term reliability of my 460.
Old 09-17-14, 08:01 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Greg and have been vocal about how every issue that happens does not men it happens to every LS 460 owner here or outside of this forum.

I'm on my 3rd LS so that should tell you that I did not see moving past the LS to something else b/c no other make has my interest. I really loved my LS430 but my heart always belong to the 460, I owned a SWB and it was trouble free after having 149K on it before it was totaled. The only part I replaced was a slow leaking water pump everything else was regular maintenance, I love the 460 so much I bought another one this time a LWB with all the buttons and she has been good to me with no major mechanical issues that left me stranded, only expensive repair was the blown ML amp I had repaired. I love walking up to my LS and love looking back at it (that's how you know you bought the right car) I love the way it drives, rides even with stocks or the 22" wheels on the car now that complement her looks. Is love how people are shocked after I tell them it's a 2007 when they ask what year or thinking it's new. Yes the 460 is aging well in my book even with the new styling direction Lexus took 07-12 still look current! Compare the 460 issues to its German competitors apples to apples if you will and you will see a significant difference along with ownership experience as well. Now there are 460 owners who are not happy with the 460 I'm sure and have seen it on this forum but I would not let that scare me off from buying a great car. Do your homework by really digging intro the cars history, service records and have the car inspected thoroughly before taking anyone's word it's all good. Last the 460 is really low maintenance car long as you stay on top of what is required.
Old 09-17-14, 11:52 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I still love my 460. I'm one to not keep thing stock. So every time I make changes I fall in love all over again. This month new wheels and kit for sema. Next year yet another set of wheels and possibly a color change. It's great to know that a 2007 LS460 is still relevant to the aftermarket companies. Most cars at sema are either really really new or old custom. So it's great that a handful of us here are still being invited to show at sema
Old 09-18-14, 02:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree that the 460 is a nice car but overall reliability has proven to be an issue. The 430, new, was just as expensive as the 460. Reference cpi inflation calculator. The difference is you can reliably and comfortably own a 430 without a warranty. I'm not saying these things to troll or make anyone feel personally attacked. Clearly, certain people take it this way. Sometimes you just have to come to terms with the reality of the situation. Is everybody's 460 constantly in the shop? Of course not. Is everybody's 430 the best thing since sliced bread? Of course not, but there is a clear consensus among 460 owners that one should purchase a extended warranty otherwise be prepared to break open that wallet. This is not true of 430 owners. Make sure to pickup a cpo with the Platinum coverage ***** if you go this route.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....004&year2=2014

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-18-14 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 04:12 AM
gb403
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 2008 LS460 new and traded it last yr for a new 2013 LS460 and I think I like the new one even better than the older one which I loved
Old 09-18-14, 05:25 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second LS 460. This time I bought an F Sport and I'm very happy with it. I also own and E 55 which is a fun car to drive on the weekend but as you say expensive to maintain.

The F Sport is a little more fun to drive than the standard 460 but it's not a race car or sports car.

It is reliable, comfortable, and handles well for its size, it gets good gas mileage for its size (I drive 65 mph and I average between 23 and 24 miles per gallon)

I'm disappointed with the navigation system but in balance I think it's a great car.

If you want a sporty car at least try the F sport

Quick Reply: Sorry but I have to ask , how many of you are still HAPPY with your LS460???