LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900

Old 09-15-14, 08:31 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I've been reading about them, and I didn't know the ACTUAL name of the Equus in Korea is the VS460. Seriously? That is just bad. Real bad. That'll be like "Hey, I'll be right back, going to throw on a pair of my new Fike sneakers, grab a Foka Cola, and take the VS460 out for a ride!"

lmfao, that's funny!!!
The following users liked this post:
Soldier76 (03-31-21)
Old 09-15-14, 09:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

I've been reading about them, and I didn't know the ACTUAL name of the Equus in Korea is the VS460. Seriously? That is just bad. Real bad. That'll be like "Hey, I'll be right back, going to throw on a pair of my new Fike sneakers, grab a Foka Cola, and take the VS460 out for a ride!"

Uhhhh why is that such a shocker?? It's a 4.6 liter engine in the Equus, hence "460".

This is done all the time in the auto industry. Do you have the same criticism for Lexus naming one of the their vehciles the "IS350", when MB already has the E350??

There are other examples, but you get the idea. And whio cares?
Old 09-15-14, 10:55 AM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I always say if your gonna photocopy, replicate, emulate, mimic, mirror, imitate, or whatever word or words you decide to use before you execute the mission. Always aim for the best at whatever you do because no one really likes second place. Now where would Kobe Bryant be if he didn't mirror Michael Jordan or any athlete or entertainer for that matter??? We all need roll models or someone to look up too, and in the car industry it's Lexus, and in actually it's all been done before and no car is really original or new.
Old 09-15-14, 11:20 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Uhhhh why is that such a shocker?? It's a 4.6 liter engine in the Equus, hence "460".

This is done all the time in the auto industry. Do you have the same criticism for Lexus naming one of the their vehciles the "IS350", when MB already has the E350??

There are other examples, but you get the idea. And whio cares?
No way. It is a VS460 because it is a carbon copy of the LS. An IS350 is nothing like an E350. However no one can deny the Hyundai is a practical clone of the LS. Tons of articles have been written about it. Hell, they even copy the advertising stuff. Here is the link

I know companies copy things all the time from each other. That is not my issue with Hyundai. The issue is the one doing the copying rarely lives up to the original. I just can't see myself ever getting past the name or the fact that it is a copy of something else. I can understand minor things copied, but dear lord, they copied the whole car. I wonder if parts are interchangeable.

Again, this is all my personal opinion. Some may want to take the plunge and buy the Hyundai. Good luck. It's just not for me.

I do agree with GXAlan below. I hope they all push Lexus to step up their game cause to be honest, I'm thinking my next ride will be something different. They really need to up their game in the next LS.

Last edited by greg3852; 09-15-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 11:25 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing about the K900/Equus is that it'll push Lexus to re-innovate and do more.

Right now the LS460 always beats the S-Class, 7-series, and A8 on value. They don't have any serious competition in Infiniti, Acura, or Cadillac at this time, nor the boutique manufacturers like Maserati or Jaguar.

Because the LS460 always won on reliability and value, Lexus has been a bit complacent. The 7 series has faster product cycles (2009 to 2016). The S-class, which launched in 05 had a 2012 LS600h-like digital instrument cluster and had things like bixenon headlights from day one and blind-spot monitoring in 2009 (which the LS didn't get until 2013). There was no pressure for Lexus to innovate since they'd still win on value and reliability.

With Equus/K900, that's no longer true. These cars offer more value (without the prestige *right now*) and offer good reliability: http://corp.carmd.com/2013-manufactu....htm?subId=232

1. Hyundai (which now owns Kia) beat Toyota for reliability in CarMD's evaluation and even if you didn't believe that Hyundai was better than Toyota, it's clearly better than Audi/BMW/Mercedes. Just as the LS undergoes things like CT-scans of the engine and track tests (which a car like the IS250 won't have), the Equus and Genesis get extra attention in manufacturing which means that the less reliable consumer Hyundai's aren't the direct comparison.

2. Hyundai has full-auto-stop and lane handling with their Genesis, something that the GS doesn't have and if you look at the IIHS data, the Genesis is extremely safe.

3. Except for the last gen IS, Lexus cars haven't been subjected to small overlap impact testing and Toyotas with Lexus cousins (i.e. RAV4/Highlander) haven't done that well. The extra reinforcement should help scoring (the same way the ES was safer than the Camry) but an upstart will help.

Competition is good. It'll make Lexus cars better if you're a Lexus fan. It'll make Hyundai keep working to improve their product line (the current Genesis feels more ES350-like in interior luxury rather than a LS or even GS). It's a good time to be a car enthusiast.
Old 09-15-14, 04:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No way. It is a VS460 because it is a carbon copy of the LS.
Just as the LS430 was a carbon copy of the MB 430 (same name and same styling). Look at the 99 MB S class...they were clones. What's funny is that members on MBWorld were bemoaning how Lexus copied their beloved brand and here we are doing the same at CL.

Lexus was not the first to copy another marque and Hyundai won't be the last.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-15-14 at 04:21 PM.
The Ikon (06-30-20)
Old 09-15-14, 04:04 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've test driven the K900 and encourage many to do so.

this thing was a huge disappointment in my eyes and had even less features than their new 2015 genesis which i've also driven. it is actually a smaller car than the Equus by a few inches, and you get less features than the Equus for the same price!

i seriously surprised they are having any luck selling it to be honest...

if i ever went to the korean brands it would have to be the Equus which offers some things that even surpass the LS to be honest, such as free service for 3 years/37,500 miles and somebody drives another Equus out to you and takes yours away to have the service performed on it! it also, in the new versions, offers a 5.0L V8 that is at 429HP which we all know the LS has been needing for some time...

all of that being said, there is still some things in these cars that just simply feel cheap where their R&R department overlooked the minuscule things that Lexus wouldn't miss. my car is still a better put together tank.
Old 09-15-14, 04:52 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GXAlan
The best thing about the K900/Equus is that it'll push Lexus to re-innovate and do more.

Right now the LS460 always beats the S-Class, 7-series, and A8 on value. They don't have any serious competition in Infiniti, Acura, or Cadillac at this time, nor the boutique manufacturers like Maserati or Jaguar.

Because the LS460 always won on reliability and value, Lexus has been a bit complacent. The 7 series has faster product cycles (2009 to 2016). The S-class, which launched in 05 had a 2012 LS600h-like digital instrument cluster and had things like bixenon headlights from day one and blind-spot monitoring in 2009 (which the LS didn't get until 2013). There was no pressure for Lexus to innovate since they'd still win on value and reliability.

With Equus/K900, that's no longer true. These cars offer more value (without the prestige *right now*) and offer good reliability: http://corp.carmd.com/2013-manufactu....htm?subId=232

1. Hyundai (which now owns Kia) beat Toyota for reliability in CarMD's evaluation and even if you didn't believe that Hyundai was better than Toyota, it's clearly better than Audi/BMW/Mercedes. Just as the LS undergoes things like CT-scans of the engine and track tests (which a car like the IS250 won't have), the Equus and Genesis get extra attention in manufacturing which means that the less reliable consumer Hyundai's aren't the direct comparison.

2. Hyundai has full-auto-stop and lane handling with their Genesis, something that the GS doesn't have and if you look at the IIHS data, the Genesis is extremely safe.
Hyundai : The Empty Car Convoy - YouTube

3. Except for the last gen IS, Lexus cars haven't been subjected to small overlap impact testing and Toyotas with Lexus cousins (i.e. RAV4/Highlander) haven't done that well. The extra reinforcement should help scoring (the same way the ES was safer than the Camry) but an upstart will help.

Competition is good. It'll make Lexus cars better if you're a Lexus fan. It'll make Hyundai keep working to improve their product line (the current Genesis feels more ES350-like in interior luxury rather than a LS or even GS). It's a good time to be a car enthusiast.
So the pre-collision system in the Lexus don't bring you to a full stop in the 2007 and up models???
Old 09-15-14, 07:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
i've test driven the K900 and encourage many to do so.

this thing was a huge disappointment in my eyes and had even less features than their new 2015 genesis which i've also driven. it is actually a smaller car than the Equus by a few inches, and you get less features than the Equus for the same price!

i seriously surprised they are having any luck selling it to be honest...

if i ever went to the korean brands it would have to be the Equus which offers some things that even surpass the LS to be honest, such as free service for 3 years/37,500 miles and somebody drives another Equus out to you and takes yours away to have the service performed on it! it also, in the new versions, offers a 5.0L V8 that is at 429HP which we all know the LS has been needing for some time...

all of that being said, there is still some things in these cars that just simply feel cheap where their R&R department overlooked the minuscule things that Lexus wouldn't miss. my car is still a better put together tank.
429 HP will get them noticed, but I agree with the others theyd be much better off making a new brand altogether. Kis and hyundai are known to be mediocre at best and its gonna be hard to change that.
Old 09-19-14, 03:16 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Please why is anyone even bothering to reply . It's a Kia .... In about another 40 years it might get better ... It should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Lexus . End of story
Old 09-19-14, 04:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

It's a Kia .... In about another 40 years it might get better ... It should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Lexus . End of story
If you go to the MB and BMW forums, they're saying the same thing about Lexus.

Please why is anyone even bothering to reply
And yet....here you are... "REPLYING". LOL

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-19-14 at 06:18 PM.
The Ikon (06-30-20)
Old 09-19-14, 05:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

ive been banned from the Mercedes benz forums for defending Lexus,....,man do they ever hate us with a passion!!!!

They are all in denial about how poorly made their cars are, and they get EXTREMELY defensive if you point out that we don't have 1/10th of the issues they have.
Soldier76 (07-01-20)
Old 09-19-14, 06:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
ive been banned from the Mercedes benz forums for defending Lexus,....,man do they ever hate us with a passion!!!!

They are all in denial about how poorly made their cars are, and they get EXTREMELY defensive if you point out that we don't have 1/10th of the issues they have.
LOL. In fairness, I posted many times on Bimmerfest after I traded in my 7 series and got the Lexus and they were very supportive and congratulated me for getting out of the Bimmer. They were a miserable lot. LOL
Soldier76 (07-01-20)
Old 09-19-14, 06:43 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I for one like South Korean products like LG and Samsung however I don't think Hyundai or Daewoo has what it takes to be competitive with the market.
They certainly have the money and the infrastructure to rival Toyota but they seem to be more like Mitsubishi when it comes to cars then Fuji heavy industries.

The fist problem they have is not building a foundation of research and development innovation to change the paradigm in the auto industry. This is something that Honda and Toyota has done to keep their competitive edge. Hyundai rested in stagnation for a very long time on Mitsubishi designed engines and they only thing they seem to offer is competitive pricing alternative with a better warranty however the build quality is not as good.
These new luxury cars are doing the same thing and it seems to be their philosophy.

Hyundai is not a start up company and they had plenty of time to prove themselves as a viable Japanese competitor with vast amounts of capital and resources but they choose not to. They are not the new kid in town, Tesla is.
Toyota understood that you have to build a strong foundation which includes the dealer network. Have you seen a Hyundai dealership.
Old 09-19-14, 07:07 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sadly for MB and BMW there is now 20 + years of Lexus history to prove they no longer rule and their woeful service standards are now legendary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900