LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900

Old 09-12-14, 04:10 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900

A guy from my church purchased the K900 a few months ago and was one of the people that really inspired me to get my LS460. I'm not going to say that I was envious of his car or anything, but really liked the space and luxurious feel that this car displayed at first site. So while searching around for luxury cars in this segment, I came across the Mercedes S550, BMW 750Li, Audi A8, Hyundai Equus, and some other vehicles. I strayed away from the Lexus at first because I knew it was too expensive,(even though I really wanted it) and after asking around at work with friends that have german luxury cars made me think twice about the reliability, and the cost of fixing these vehicles cause the parts are really expensive. I also did research on german luxury sedans and found that (even though every vehicle has problems) most people who buy german vehicles get them because the sportiness and driver engagement, and the potential cost of problems is an afterthought. The Kia K900 got a little bit of german sportiness and power but also has the refinement and luxury of the Lexus. I really appreciate what Hyundai and Kia has done to shake the segment up a Lil, but also love how Lexus continues to be the torchbearer for the "Pursuit of Perfection". That's why I chose Lexus because why get a runner up (no offense to any other vehicles out there) when you could just choose first place. It's good to know that my vehicle is 7years old and still looks and feel "AMAZING" and not only that, it still has some features that my friend's fully loaded K900 doesn't have (I know he's got some features that mine don't have either). All in all 2 great vehicles, but we'll see how the equus and kia fair in real world, longterm, reliability testing (and that's where the rubber meets the road).
The following users liked this post:
OGSC430 (03-31-21)
Old 09-12-14, 08:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The K900 is a beauty. As for reliability....who cares when you get ten years f bumper to bumper warranty for free! In fairness, I believe the KIA/Hyundai partnership provide decent reliability. I could see myself in an Equus or K900.
Old 09-12-14, 08:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

They are getting better but I don't think you will see the k900 or the Equus up there in Consumer Reports anytime soon. In my experience with Korean vehicles is that they won't necessarily leave you stranded but you will be using that warranty pretty often.

Full 2015 Kia K900 Review
What's New for 2015

The 2015 Kia K900 is an all-new full-size luxury sedan.

Introduction

Exclusivity is historically a big part of the full-size luxury sedan ownership experience. The steep prices for elite European luxury sedans exclude a wide swath of shoppers and ensure that these cars remain an indulgence for a select few. With the introduction of the comparatively affordable 2015 Kia K900, though, exclusivity is put to the test.

The K900 certainly has the means to join the executive sedan ranks. It's Kia's largest sedan to date, and it's about the same size nose to tail as those established large luxury sedans. The interior and trunk are correspondingly palatial. For power, there's a 420-horsepower V8 as standard equipment initially, while a more fuel-efficient V6 will become available later on. Features? Oh, so glad you asked. The K900 comes with so much kit that it could have its own booth at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Value, however, is where Kia steps on the gas and puts everybody else in the rearview mirror. Even fully loaded, the K900 typically undercuts those Euro sedans' base prices by tens of thousands of dollars. Those savings, along with Kia's generous warranty coverage and three years of free scheduled maintenance, make the K900 a model of fiscal responsibility. As Kia accurately says in its tagline for this car: "Challenge the luxury you know."

When you take a deeper look, though, you'll likely notice some minor sacrifices made in the name of affordability. The Kia K900 lacks a perfectly resolved feel on the inside, though, to be fair, these demerits are generally limited to nitpicky details. The switchgear is of merely average quality, and the infotainment interface is a little unintuitive and complicated to use compared to the slicker interfaces in more expensive sedans. Further, the K900's ride quality, while generally agreeable, falls just short of the standards set by other premium sedans.

However, the Kia K900 is simply too good of a bargain to ignore, and it's certainly worth considering alongside established large luxury sedans like the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series and Lexus LS 460. Compared with the similarly priced and mechanically related Hyundai Equus, the K900 doesn't offer a smooth-riding air suspension option, but otherwise, they're effectively equals. As with the Hyundai, though, the biggest issue for some people will just be the Kia badge. But if you can see past the non-premium label, the 2015 Kia K900 is an impressive premium sedan with a far more inclusive price of admission.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2015 Kia K900 is a large, five-passenger luxury sedan offered in V6 (late availability) and V8 trim levels.

Standard features for the K900 V6 include 18-inch alloy wheels, adaptive xenon headlights, LED foglights, power-folding and auto-dimming mirrors, a power trunk lid, automatic wipers, front and rear parking sensors and keyless ignition and entry.

On the inside, you get full power accessories, tri-zone automatic climate control, cruise control, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, leather upholstery, eight-way power front seats (with driver four-way power lumbar), driver memory settings, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear outboard seats, a ski pass-through opening in the rear seats, a power rear sunshade, Kia's Uvo voice command system, Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, a 9.2-inch display screen, a navigation system, front and rearview cameras and a 17-speaker Lexicon surround-sound audio system with a CD player, an iPod/USB interface and satellite and HD radio.

Besides an eight-cylinder engine upgrade, Kia K900 V8 models add 19-inch wheels, LED headlights, a panoramic sunroof, a blind-spot monitoring system, a rear cross-traffic alert system, a lane departure warning system, a heated steering wheel, a different gear selector design, a credit card-sized smart key and upgraded leather upholstery. Some of these items are available as options on the V6 trim.

Adding the VIP package to the V8 model will net you soft-closing doors, a 12-way power-adjustable driver seat, power front headrest adjustments, ventilated and reclining outboard rear seats with lumbar support, a virtual instrument panel, a driver head-up display, a 360-degree top-down parking camera system, adaptive cruise control, a frontal collision warning system and additional pre-collision safety features.

Powertrains and Performance

Initially, the 2015 Kia K900 will only be available with a 5.0-liter V8 engine that produces 420 hp and 376 pound-feet of torque. Power is sent to the rear wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission. The EPA estimates fuel economy at 18 mpg combined (15 city/23 highway), which trails other V8-powered luxury sedans in this class.

In Edmunds performance testing, a K900 V8 accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds, about average for a premium luxury sedan.

Later in its inaugural year, the K900 will also be offered with a 3.8-liter V6 engine that makes 311 hp and 293 lb-ft of torque. EPA fuel economy estimates for this engine are 21 mpg combined (18 city/27 highway).

Safety

Standard safety features for the 2015 Kia K900 include antilock disc brakes, traction and stability control, front and rear seat side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, front and rearview cameras, and Uvo eServices that includes emergency assistance and teen-oriented monitoring features such as curfew, speed and geo-fencing. The V8-powered K900 models also have a blind-spot monitoring system, rear cross-traffic alert and a lane departure warning system. These features are optional on V6 models.

Opting for the VIP package adds a 360-degree top-down camera system and a frontal collision warning system that tightens the seatbelts and primes the brakes for maximum stopping power if a collision is imminent.

In Edmunds brake testing, a Kia K900 V8 came to a stop from 60 mph in a longish 130 feet, which is about 10 feet longer than average for this flagship segment.

Interior Design and Special Features

On the whole, the 2015 Kia K900 comes tantalizingly close to matching the quality and heft of the German luxury sedans it has in its sights. The interior design is pleasingly up to date with a large 9.2-inch multifunction display mounted in the middle of the dash and cues lifted directly from BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Opting for the VIP package provides even more comforts, including soft-close doors and reclining rear seats.

Upon closer inspection, though, the K900 comes up a little short compared with established luxury sedans. Even though the Kia's wood interior trim is genuine, its heavily lacquered and glittered finish gives it the look and feel of plastic. And while the infotainment controller is similar to BMW's iDrive interface, its complicated and unintuitive menus can be a source of frustration. The numerous buttons scattered throughout the cabin also feel a bit less substantial than we'd expect. Notably absent from the options list are amenities like a rear entertainment system, redundant audio controls for backseat passengers and seatback trays.

Getting past these missteps is easy, however, when you consider the K900's long list of standard equipment and its comfortable accommodations. Spending an entire day touring the highways and byways is easy and fatigue-free for four full-size adults thanks to well-shaped seats that are heated and ventilated. Helping to click off the miles is the powerful Lexicon sound system that offers impressive performance, regardless of your taste in music.

Cargo capacity for the K900 maxes out at 15.9 cubic feet, which is about average for the class.

Driving Impressions

In spite of the V8 engine's impressive power output, stepping on the gas in the 2015 Kia K900 doesn't deliver the rush that you might expect in an elite luxury sedan. Instead, speed gathers quietly and effortlessly, and before you know it you're already matching other cars on the interstate. Passing slower traffic requires a more aggressive stab at the pedal to prompt the transmission to drop down a few gears, though. At cruising speed, the cabin is nearly devoid of road noise, though a faint whistling of wind noise is detectable by the mirrors.

The ride quality is comfortable, and most bumps and ruts are absorbed with ease. On choppy pavement, however, the ride is on the busy side compared to other large luxury sedans. Unlike with most rivals, there's no option to order an adaptive suspension to smooth out the ride. Around sharper turns, the 2015 Kia K900 feels heavy and out of its element. Thankfully, the big sedan remains composed on all but the twistiest mountain roads. If you're used to driving sedans with German badges, though, the Kia K900's so-so handling might not pass muster.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-13-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 08:52 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm different. I can't see myself driving either one. The Hyundai looks like a clown car with the ugly emblems, and the Kia k900 reminds me of the Optima just bigger. Both remind me of mediocre cars, made by mediocre companies. They need to create a separate brand if they want to be taken seriously. I can't purchase a 60k dollar. Hyundai or Kia. Nope. Sorry.
Old 09-13-14, 01:58 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The optima is a really good looking car... Put it side by side with an IS250/350 and you will clearly see where the inspiration comes from.
Old 09-13-14, 02:22 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Kia K900 is a great car but not up to par with Lexus pursuit of perfection.
Old 09-13-14, 03:35 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
There getting better but I don't think you will see the k900 or the Equus up there in Consumer Reports anytime soon. In my experience with Korean vehicles is that they won't necessarily leave you stranded but you will be using that warranty.
Yeah I remember having a warranty with a brand new fully loaded Chrysler T&C years back, that was 5year 70,000miles bumper to bumper, and was in the shop like 3 times a week for multiple problems i.e. electrical, transmission, and I believe one other thing. Anyways had to eventually end up taking them to court under the lemon law act. After that dreadful, nightmarish, experience I vowed never to buy a Chrysler again, but was really tempted to get the 2015 Chrysler 200 (Thank God my wife talked me outta another possible disaster).
Old 09-13-14, 03:43 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The K900 is a beauty. As for reliability....who cares when you get ten years f bumper to bumper warranty for free! In fairness, I believe the KIA/Hyundai partnership provide decent reliability. I could see myself in an Equus or K900.
It is a sweet looking car, but just wish Kia would've made it look different from the cadenza. It almost like what Lexus did with the new LS, GS, and ES. I believe that every vehicle should have its own distinct personality.

Last edited by Soldier76; 09-13-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 07:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I have 3 family members with Elantras and Sonatas. I have a friend with a Santa Fe and neighbours with a Tuscon, and two Accents. NONE have had anything more done than oil changes and regular maintenance. I don't think it's a fluke.

As for "clown car", I don't see how this looks clownish:

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-14-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-14-14, 08:48 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

In my opinion, it is a copy of the LS. Here are some things I have issues with. The logo is horrible. The rear Equus is gigantic. Also, I can't get past the name. When I think of Hyundai, I think of cheap, poor quality. I remember the excel, accent, etc...Maybe that is just a personal issue, but its one I have nonetheless. I know they have made huge strides in reliability, but I can't get past it. I will never buy another Ford or GM either. I don't care what they do. After being burned once, it's enough. I also don't believe a sample of a few friends is a reliable source for a vehicles reliability. It also matters how they honor their warranty when things do go wrong. I have read quite a few horror stories online (taken with a grain of salt) about their warranty issues. This doesn't even begin to mention the fact that they lose HALF their value in 2 year. You can buy a 2012 Equus with 40k miles for HALF the price of a 2014.

In order for them to even be considered, they need to separate the brand. Make a new name high end market like Lexus did. It is a big issue not only for me but for many many others. They need to develop their own vehicle not a carbon copy of another. These are just a couple things I feel they need to do to try to break into the luxury market

Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900-1.jpg

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2876
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2757
Size:  20.1 KB

Last edited by greg3852; 09-14-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-14-14, 02:47 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO the Equus is an amalgamation of S-Class, 7 series and LS (mainly the german cues) into one. You can see all the copycat things in there. Sure it's the epitome of flattery, but it's still not any of those cars, or car builders. S Korea is trying hard to be the next Japan in the marketplace and they are trying too hard on image. Where they fail to this day, abysmally so mind you, is in customer support & service- and this goes for Korean Electronics & Appliances (like Samsung) as well as Korean automobiles. I'm proud of what they have accomplished thus far, but they are not "there"...yet.
Old 09-14-14, 06:13 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I have 3 family members with Elantras and Sonatas. I have a friend with a Santa Fe and neighbours with a Tuscon, and two Accents. NONE have had anything more done than oil changes and regular maintenance. I don't think it's a fluke.

As for "clown car", I don't see how this looks clownish:
My past Hyundai's (2009 and 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedans and a 2013 Sonata Hybrid) was pretty reliable vehicles in the years I've owned them with regards to a few issues that eventually gotten resolved. It was in the customer service department where I had the real issues. Even though the people were courteous and very friendly most of the time. I didn't get the feeling that they really cared about the safety and concerns about my individual problems with these cars, and just wanted to get it fixed and get me out the way, and sometimes just flat out rude and unprofessional in the process. They was adamantly concerned about me giving them a perfect score on the survey, every time I had my vehicle serviced wether they did a good job or not. Also the whole atmosphere in these dealerships is like being in McDonalds or Burger King as compared to being in Armani's, Bella on the River, or another fancy restaurant that Lexus dealerships offer.
Old 09-15-14, 07:01 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I'm different. I can't see myself driving either one. The Hyundai looks like a clown car with the ugly emblems, and the Kia k900 reminds me of the Optima just bigger. Both remind me of mediocre cars, made by mediocre companies. They need to create a separate brand if they want to be taken seriously. I can't purchase a 60k dollar. Hyundai or Kia. Nope. Sorry.
LOL, i feel the same way
Old 09-15-14, 07:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

It's the same stigma that Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda had to overcome back in the day. Nobody could envision "Jap Crap" making anything luxury. Hyundai (and Kia) will overcome this without issue when people realize that they make good vehicles. I'd buy their vehicles over German crap any day unless they step up their game and get back to the reputation of reliability they once enjoyed.
Old 09-15-14, 07:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I've been reading about them, and I didn't know the ACTUAL name of the Equus in Korea is the VS460. Seriously? That is just bad. Real bad. That'll be like "Hey, I'll be right back, going to throw on a pair of my new Fike sneakers, grab a Foka Cola, and take the VS460 out for a ride!"

The following users liked this post:
Soldier76 (03-31-21)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LS460L vs Kia K900