LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm thinking it's time to get out of the Lexus lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 09:14 AM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These forums, and other similar forums for other products are great places to get help on technical issues, discuss alterations and modifications ,and be kept up to date on any TSB's.

In Summary

If you can't get along with your dealership, find another.

Your Lexus / Mercedes / BMW /Fiat Panda costs too much to run ?

You were complaining about a $240.00 cost in one of your posts, put things in perspective ,that is the cost of 3 fill-ups.

You understand that the LS 460 a luxury car primarily designed for old guys to buy and drive back and forth to the office, the airport and take another couple out to dinner. It is a perfect car for long motor trips and going away for the weekend.

Some of us who understand depreciation buy them 3 years old used and drive them for 10 years, then repeat as necessary. I expect and budget that my car will cost me 2K in year in maintenance and wear items which turns out to be 20K over the next 10 years. My expectations are that it will cost less (based on past experience) but in owning any vechicle one needs to err on the side of caution.

My car is stock, I buy OEM parts and use a good Lexus Service department. It does what it supposed to do, if it breaks I will pay to have it fixed, period.

Consumer reports ranks the 460 as one of the most reliable luxury cars and I don't need a MB or BMW decal to prove my success or ***** length . I want a safe, boring, reliable car that meets the old guy criteria mentioned above.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 09-06-14 at 03:38 PM. Reason: To conform to forum rules
Old 09-06-14, 01:36 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PHOUND5
These forums, and other similar forums for other products are great places to get help on technical issues, discuss alterations and modifications ,and be kept up to date on any TSB's.

In Summary

If you can't get along with your dealership, find another.

Your Lexus / Mercedes / BMW /Fiat Panda costs too much to run ?

You were complaining about a $240.00 cost in one of your posts, put things in perspective ,that is the cost of 3 fill-ups.

You understand that the LS 460 a luxury car primarily designed for old guys to buy and drive back and forth to the office, the airport and take another couple out to dinner. It is a perfect car for long motor trips and going away for the weekend.

Some of us who understand depreciation buy them 3 years old used and drive them for 10 years, then repeat as necessary. I expect and budget that my car will cost me 2K in year in maintenance and wear items which turns out to be 20K over the next 10 years. My expectations are that it will cost less (based on past experience) but in owning any vechicle one needs to err on the side of caution.

My car is stock, I buy OEM parts and use a good Lexus Service department. It does what it supposed to do, if it breaks I will pay to have it fixed, period.

Consumer reports ranks the 460 as one of the most reliable luxury cars and I don't need a MB or BMW decal to prove my success or ***** length . I want a safe, boring, reliable car that meets the old guy criteria mentioned above.
Whoa, we should be showing a Lil more compassion here. For one we don't know what's going on in this person's life. This "human being" could've fallen on hard times or God Forbid something tragic happen to them-self or somebody that they truly cared about or love. The truth of the matter is we don't know, and that people need to just vent sometimes to let off a little steam. Let's at least try to help and comfort him on this forum, and be a step above all the other forums and show Whitbaby that he's part of the Fam, and we don't kick friends in the junk when they're down.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 09-06-14 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 09-06-14, 04:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Idk. Some people just prefer mediocrity. I could not imagine, ever, even considering driving a hyundai. But there are people who go out and drop 40-50k on one. If you're bored of lexus buy a vette or an Amg benz on warantee and enjoy life.

Dont move backwards and buy a hyundai.
Old 09-07-14, 02:39 AM
Soldier76
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Idk. Some people just prefer mediocrity. I could not imagine, ever, even considering driving a hyundai. But there are people who go out and drop 40-50k on one. If you're bored of lexus buy a vette or an Amg benz on warantee and enjoy life.

Dont move backwards and buy a hyundai.
Well the 2014 Hyundai equus and 2015 Hyundai genesis would be good buys, and they have Hyundai's excellent 10year 100,000mile warranty. Having owned a 2009 and a 2011 Hyundai genesis sedan 4.6 made me realize how far Hyundai has come up in quality and reliability. The years I owned them 2 vehicles I had no problems at all (actually the o2 sensor went out on my 2009 genesis). I also owned a 2013 fully loaded sonata hybrid in which the fuel tank had to be changed out, but other then that no problems with that car either.
Old 09-07-14, 06:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Dont move backwards and buy a hyundai
I remember when everyone used to say the same thing about Japanese products (some still do).

Hyundai will be at the top o' the heap before long. I'd take an Equuus, Genesis or the new KIA K900 over the problematic and unreliable BMW's right now. Their warranties are also almost too good to be true.
Old 09-07-14, 08:17 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, some older folks have an aversion to Japanese products.

Now that Japanese products are more widely accepted, I believe Korean products are suffering from fickle American perception.

If you sleep on Korean products, the joke is on you. I fully believe they are following a similar path taken by Japan years ago.

After visiting S. Korea a few years ago, I admit that I was blown away at the modernity of Seoul. In my own ethnocentric way, it was like just about any large American city ... that just happened to be filled with Korean citizens! I came home completely convinced of Korean products from that day on.

Me? It's one thing to buy Samsung TVs, but it's another thing altogether with lux cars. I'm all in with Lexus, but can't fault anyone going with an Equus or Genesis. They just might be the smart / smarter / smartest ones.
Old 09-07-14, 03:07 PM
hooks07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving lexus line

Sorry for your trouble. One bad dealership doesn't speak for lexus as a whole. I have had ls400-430 and 460. Great vehicles. I hate to say this but you will be back.
Old 09-20-14, 10:25 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got rid of my Lexus yesterday...

Got rid of my Lexus yesterday...

Traded it in on a new tricked-out Toyota Highlander Limited.

I will probably be migrating to the Toyotanation's Highlander forum.

There are some people on here I would like to thank, like jmcraney, and some people I would not like to thank...you know who you are. ;->

Oh, I do have an ATEQ Quickset www.tpms-tool.com that I got from a member on here and never used. It is used with a laptop and has the cable, dongle and CD software.

I paid $100 and will sell for $55 shipped to lower 48.

Ciao,

Whit
Old 09-20-14, 11:26 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting change in direction. do you mind elaborating a bit?
sick of the type of car the LS is or just life happened?

Originally Posted by WhitBaby

There are some people on here I would like to thank, like jmcraney, and some people I would not like to thank...you know who you are. ;->

Oh, I do have an ATEQ Quickset www.tpms-tool.com that I got from a member on here and never used. It is used with a laptop and has the cable, dongle and CD software.

Ciao,

Whit
Old 09-20-14, 02:04 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by escapedcon
interesting change in direction. do you mind elaborating a bit?
sick of the type of car the LS is or just life happened?
Actually kind of a combination of the above.

The dealer's attitude on the alignment kind of triggered it.

Wifey and I are both in our mid-seventies and the quads in our legs aren't what they used to be and the Lex was kind of low-slung making access increasingly difficult for her (me too but I wouldn't admit it ;=>. With all the ins and outs on our 2800 mile trip down around SoCAL, etc., last week really reminded us of that.
So I bought a new tricked-out Toyota Highlander Limited...with the higher seats it's now just like sliding onto a bar stool.

I'd had it seven years and was getting kind of tired of it too, so just seemed the right time to make a change. Too bad, still had 6 months and 14K miles left on the warranty.

Last edited by WhitBaby; 09-21-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-20-14, 03:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I remember when everyone used to say the same thing about Japanese products (some still do).

Hyundai will be at the top o' the heap before long. I'd take an Equuus, Genesis or the new KIA K900 over the problematic and unreliable BMW's right now. Their warranties are also almost too good to be true.
Given that BMW is one of the worst cars on the road id also take a Hyundai or better yet a Honda lol

Shame cause I love the look of the 7 series , but I will not buy into one ...ever.

Ciao,

Whit
Congrats sir, the Toyota highlander is a nice vehicle , I think that was a good choice
Old 09-20-14, 03:13 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck with the Highlander !
At least you haven't strayed far
Old 09-20-14, 03:25 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Wifey and I are both in our mid-seventies and the quads in our legs aren't what they used to be and the Lex was kind of low-slung making access increasingly difficult for her (me too but I wouldn't admit it ;=>. With all the ins and outs on our 2800 mile trip down around SoCAL, etc., last week really reminded us of that.
So I bought a new tricked-out Toyota Highlander...with the higher seats it's now just like sliding onto a bar stool.

I'd had it seven years and was getting kind of tired of it too, so just seemed the right time to make a change. Too bad, still had 6 months and 14K miles left on the warranty.
I still think you should chime in every once in awhile if possible to give your opinion or advice, cause you never know you could prolly help someone out making a decision one way or another. I'm glad either way You found a vehicle that you really like. My wife btw has a 2014 highlander limited platinum and absolutely loves it, so you made an excellent choice Sir. She likes to find reasons to drive it so she's always out and about driving to different places throughout the day. I Pray this highlander serves You and the Wife way better then the LS did, and that you come back and let us know how your doing, and how's that Toyota holding up.
Old 09-20-14, 05:12 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

So I bought a new tricked-out Toyota Highlander...with the higher seats it's now just like sliding onto a bar stool.

Congratulations on the Highlander! Also, forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but don't forget to contact LFS to cancel the warranty and get some $ back.
Old 09-20-14, 07:56 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Enjoy the Highlander. I came from a Sienna which I loved, but the kids were gone..

Quick Reply: I'm thinking it's time to get out of the Lexus lines