LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm thinking it's time to get out of the Lexus lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 03:12 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is hilarious, and i've gotten pissed @ lexus a time or two with repairs, but you are owning the flagship car...what do you expect? free service?

i've had to suck it up, and go with the often quoted: "you go to pay to play" mentality and be thankful that i can drive a beast that is on the road more than in the shop.
Old 09-02-14, 05:21 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
this is hilarious, and i've gotten pissed @ lexus a time or two with repairs, but you are owning the flagship car...what do you expect? free service?

i've had to suck it up, and go with the often quoted: "you go to pay to play" mentality and be thankful that i can drive a beast that is on the road more than in the shop.
I agree with this. Having done lots of alignments over the years, I can tell you that shifting subframes is a chore. If the customer was there, the sales person would usually bring the customer out and I could show them what was needed and why. They might not authorize the work but they wouldn't be angry. They were in the loop.

The Lexus TSIB dealing with steering pulls makes no mention of subframe adjustment on LS 460's, only replacement offset upper control arm brackets. The databases in alignment machines often show subframe adjustment on cars with no normal caster or camber adjustments. With few exceptions, (Chrysler rwd being one) a subframe won't often move enough, if it will move at all, to do any good. Because subframes and unibodies are large pieces separately manufactured then bolted together, some +/- tolerances are needed for the bolts to line up. Those tolerances are vanishingly small on most modern cars.
Old 09-02-14, 06:34 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I've gotten a good relationship from the guys down in the shop and got the shop managers cell number. he's honest with what needs to happen and goes to bat for me. i don't feel uncomfortable with his recommendations as he will speak about the issue plainly and candidly and paying so far have had things done under warranty. as for saving money, i go 10K between oil changes because all the LS's get full-synthetic as standard which can go 10K easily,

if you really don't want to worry about any of this, then switch to a Hyundai Equus. they will bring another Equus out to your home or business and exchange it with yours to get the service done. on top of that, they provide all of the services FREE for the first 3 years/37,500 miles. . .

Something tells me i'm keeping my LS
Old 09-03-14, 08:31 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

)
I'm glad you're amused and I'm well aware this is their 'flagship' car. (The one that doesn't have the dual memory TPMS settings as does their lower GS model)
As such I wouldn't expect this kind of problems. I bought the '08 new in '08, had all the Lexus-anointed services. I've also had two major recall surgeries with the valve spring recall and replaced the heads when acceleration went to **** via TSB and a couple other TSB's. In the 7 years I've amassed only 58,000 miles.

I kind of thought that superior engineering and service would be what the extra $25,000 was for. I know people that have the lowly Camry's and haven't had nearly the trouble this L$ has had.
I understand maintenance happens and was willing to pay the overpriced $130 alignment fee, if that had been all. But their bait-and-switch follow up about wanting an additional $240 to do the job right pissed me off.

How's that for more hilarity?
Old 09-03-14, 01:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I kind of thought that superior engineering and service would be what the extra $25,000 was for. I know people that have the lowly Camry's and haven't had nearly the trouble this L$ has had.
I understand maintenance happens and was willing to pay the overpriced $130 alignment fee, if that had been all. But their bait-and-switch follow up about wanting an additional $240 to do the job right pissed me off.

How's that for more hilarity?
"Hilarity"? Yes. Unless I've missed something, you did not indicate "all the issues this L$ has". WHAT issues? A wheel alignment problem? And for the record....130 dollars is not outta line. Toyota charges 99 dollars here in my part of Canada. An extra$ 240? Whatevs....if you don't want to pay the coin, get rid of the car and take a multi-thousand dollar soaking on a trade instead.

Have you attempted to have another shop do this for you as suggested by others? Or are you just dead-set on dwelling on this with your current dealer? There are good dealers and there are bad. I've found a good one, as others have here at CL.
Old 09-03-14, 01:41 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

it sounds, as it states in the thread title, that WhitBaby has been offered a better deal or what he thinks is a better deal with another company and is now trying to find some fault with his LS to convince him it's time to leave which is a shame.

i mean the tpms complaint is frivolous at best if i must say so my self, and these other small expenses are just that, small. And anyway all of the TSB's were probably covered under warranty which wouldn't have even come up if it was a chevy!
Old 09-03-14, 02:19 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you don't like the car, that's fine. I sometimes get upset about things with my car too. But I think the thing people are surprised about is any work done under warranty was free. Didn't cost you a dime.

The GS has dual TPMS. The LS is a much better car. Period. No argument on that.

You have to pay a certain amount of money to get the car corrected. They found it needed more than originally anticipated. It happens. If they said you needed an oil change, then found a piston went through the block would you be angry at them? I'm confused.

Sure you can argue that a Camry doesn't need the work done to it that your LS has, but again, the Camry isn't 1/3 the car your LS is. If you feel that strongly about it, sell your LS and buy that Camry. Good luck.

"I understand maintenance happens and was willing to pay the overpriced $130 alignment fee, if that had been all. But their bait-and-switch follow up about wanting an additional $240 to do the job right pissed me off."
Read that again. TO DO THE JOB RIGHT. Your words. TO DO THE JOB RIGHT. In order to do the job right requires a significant amount of extra work. Should that be done for free because you are who you are? They are going to fix the problem correctly and charge an appropriate amount for it.
Old 09-03-14, 04:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Sure you can argue that a Camry doesn't need the work done to it that your LS has, but again, the Camry isn't 1/3 the car your LS is. If you feel that strongly about it, sell your LS and buy that Camry. Good luck.
I was going to say the same thing. It's similar to someone saying they can buy a house in North Dakota for a fraction of the price of a home in Palm Springs. Yes...yes you CAN. Problem is, you're now living in North Dakota. (my apologies if this offends any North Dakotians). lol

We're not picking on you Whit.....we've all been in a similar, frustrating position....sooner or later we saw the bigger picture.
Old 09-03-14, 04:13 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

First World Problems.

LOL
Old 09-03-14, 05:11 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...... "you got to pay to play"......
As a general aside, this has got to be the DUMBEST response EVER in situations of dealing with car issues. I see this most idiotic mantra tossed all over the bimmer and mercedes forums. The fact that you did pay (BIG money I might add) for a top of the line car is reason enough that you should NOT be experiencing problems. But as long as belches like this comment try to enter the realm of sensibility, then you give manufactures excuses to continue asking top dollar for more unreliability, which is just plain stupid! I want to play BECAUSE I paid! Not breakdown.

Last edited by Pamperme; 09-03-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 07:27 PM
Bbyboomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping Ship

I wouldn't jump ship just yet. You should have asked for the regional Manager to intervene. They make their runs to the dealerships to handle cases unable to be satisfied on the local level. I know I've dealt with regional managers for years with my Honda's. Surely you could have gone to another dealer for service. I "SPEAK UP" they know where I stand the instant I arrive. Being from New York hardens the skin. Though I haven't had a single issue here in Las Vegas.They've actually bent backwards to make their customers smile. Call in the regional Manager. Find out what day of the next month he'll be in town at that dealership and make the appointment. My experience with regional managers are they TRUMP your local dealership.
Old 09-04-14, 12:49 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pamperme
As a general aside, this has got to be the DUMBEST response EVER in situations of dealing with car issues. I see this most idiotic mantra tossed all over the bimmer and mercedes forums. The fact that you did pay (BIG money I might add) for a top of the line car is reason enough that you should NOT be experiencing problems. But as long as belches like this comment try to enter the realm of sensibility, then you give manufactures excuses to continue asking top dollar for more unreliability, which is just plain stupid! I want to play BECAUSE I paid! Not breakdown.
no breakdown was ever discussed here Pamperme, a simple maintenance operation...

certainly not a "problem" with the car but simply normal wear and tear.
Old 09-04-14, 01:46 PM
Mitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think someone came in here a little frustrated, and wanted to vent and then just got a little push back versus a little empathy. Can't we all get along?

Here's my personal take...

I am in two camps:

1) When I buy an expensive item, I assume that repairs and components on the item are going to cost more, it just goes with the territory. Brakes on a lambo will no doubt cost more than brakes on a civic. And I am completely okay with this.

2) I am also firmly in the camp of getting value for my money, and don't want to accept that crappy quality just goes with the territory of rare, or hand built things. I could never understand why it was okay for a high end sports car to be a lot less reliable than a Honda. I know, I know, pushing the boundaries of performance, blah blah blah. But I think a lot of money should buy both style, performance, and quality/reliability. In fact, I think that's why a lot of us have found ourselves in the LS. I have said it many times...I think a 3 year old LS with low mileage is one of the best values in the car market. Definitely not the cheapest way to go, but best VALUE for the overall package that you get.

So in conclusion, yes, the StL Cardinals are the best baseball team, with the best fans, AND, I empathize with the OP, and stuff can cost more, but quality/reliability needs to come with the price of admission.
Old 09-04-14, 02:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm just baffled how one incident at a dealer can make you wanna move onto another brand. Like others have said try another dealer or independent mechanic that specializes in Lexus / Toyota. I can see how leaving a bad taste in your mouth after several visits and the dealer not fixing the issue, but one time?your taking it a little harsh you think? no car is perfect and no dealer is perfect , Choose your battles
Old 09-05-14, 10:27 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no breakdown was ever discussed here Pamperme, a simple maintenance operation...

certainly not a "problem" with the car but simply normal wear and tear.
You're right. I know it wasn't clear from my comment but I was calling out the comment's general use and application when usually applied as an excuse towards high-end problem cars. You did make it very clear that you were distinguishing between maintainence costs and not problems/breakdowns. Thank you for your response. Please have a wonderful and blessed day!!

Quick Reply: I'm thinking it's time to get out of the Lexus lines