LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Changing out my coolant tomorrow. Should I post a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 06:20 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever replace your water pump? If so how big of a task was it?
Old 01-19-15, 09:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
Did you ever replace your water pump? If so how big of a task was it?
Yes I did. Pretty simple really.

1. After you get all the engine covers off and drain the coolant, you want to remove the coolant reservoir tank.

2. Remove the air inlets.

3. Remove the belt

4. Disconnect the dipstick tube. You aren't removing it, you're just moving it aside.

5. Remove the water pump pulley.....YOU DON'T NEED a special tool (SST), mine removed easily with just a socket and a pry bar or screwdriver to hold the pulley in place.

6. Remove the water pump. When you replace the pump, I would make sure you torque the bolts all in proper sequence. All the bolts have different torque specs. Lots of diagrams on google that will tell you the specs and sequence.

I also replaced all my hoses and all told, I think it took me about 2 hours (including refilling the coolant and purging the air), and cost me 75 dollars for the pump and hoses.

MAKE SURE YOU USE TOYOTA COOLANT. Or, you can also use Zerex Asian Formula coolant that you can find anywhere. But FWIW, Toyota coolant was only a dollar more per jug, so why bother?

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-19-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 02:59 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes I did. Pretty simple really.

1. After you get all the engine covers off and drain the coolant, you want to remove the coolant reservoir tank.

2. Remove the air inlets.

3. Remove the belt

4. Disconnect the dipstick tube. You aren't removing it, you're just moving it aside.

5. Remove the water pump pulley.....YOU DON'T NEED a special tool (SST), mine removed easily with just a socket and a pry bar or screwdriver to hold the pulley in place.

6. Remove the water pump. When you replace the pump, I would make sure you torque the bolts all in proper sequence. All the bolts have different torque specs. Lots of diagrams on google that will tell you the specs and sequence.

I also replaced all my hoses and all told, I think it took me about 2 hours (including refilling the coolant and purging the air), and cost me 75 dollars for the pump and hoses.

MAKE SURE YOU USE TOYOTA COOLANT. Or, you can also use Zerex Asian Formula coolant that you can find anywhere. But FWIW, Toyota coolant was only a dollar more per jug, so why bother?
Awesome, thanks. I had to add coolant to my reservoir. Not a significant amount, but my car is used and I've always had lexus do the maintenance, so I don't know if it's a gradual loss over a long period of time or not. Couldnt find pink deposits on the water pump either.
Old 01-19-15, 04:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
Awesome, thanks. I had to add coolant to my reservoir. Not a significant amount, but my car is used and I've always had lexus do the maintenance, so I don't know if it's a gradual loss over a long period of time or not. Couldnt find pink deposits on the water pump either.
Did you clear everything out of the way to check for deposits? I couldn't see any either until I did. The deposits were around a bolt at the top middle of the pump. If not, I guess I'd let it go and monitor how much you're adding before delving deeper into where it's going. Or just go ahead and replace the pump as a precaution and rule that out.
Old 01-19-15, 05:45 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you clear everything out of the way to check for deposits? I couldn't see any either until I did. The deposits were around a bolt at the top middle of the pump. If not, I guess I'd let it go and monitor how much you're adding before delving deeper into where it's going. Or just go ahead and replace the pump as a precaution and rule that out.
No I did not clear everything to look. I'll look at it more closely this spring.