LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 08:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Differential Fluid Change

I will be getting this done soon. Previous owner did it through the dealer last time.

I'd like to do this myself as I've done with previous vehicles I've owned.

Anyone here at CL tackled this themselves?

I'll be using Motul GL5 Synthetic.
Old 08-24-14, 08:49 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I will be getting this done soon. Previous owner did it through the dealer last time.

I'd like to do this myself as I've done with previous vehicles I've owned.

Anyone here at CL tackled this themselves?

I'll be using Motul GL5 Synthetic.
If you plan to there should be a drain and fill hole. Some diffs like the BMW do not have a drain hole because the fluid is lifetime.
Remove the fill hole first, then the drain hole. Plug the drain hole and pump the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole.
I would not use Motul transmission fluids because some of their formulations are designed for racing applications and do not have a robust additive package for daily driven use. The fluid will turn acidic early and ruin your diff gears.
I would use Redline or Amsoil if you can get it. If you want to stay safe, stay with Toyota.
Old 08-24-14, 09:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
If you plan to there should be a drain and fill hole. Some diffs like the BMW do not have a drain hole because the fluid is lifetime.
Remove the fill hole first, then the drain hole. Plug the drain hole and pump the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole.
I would not use Motul transmission fluids because some of their formulations are designed for racing applications and do not have a robust additive package for daily driven use. The fluid will turn acidic early and ruin your diff gears.
I would use Redline or Amsoil if you can get it. If you want to stay safe, stay with Toyota.
Thanks Devh. My ALL DATA DIY manual shows the vent plug but not the drain plug. Guess I'll see when I get under there.

As for the fluid....I assume the Toyota fluid is non-synth? I'd prefer the Redline as I've used it in the past....specifically my 7 series E65.

What's intersting is Redline Diff Fluid (GL-5) is used in formula 1 racing applications.
Old 08-25-14, 07:17 AM
Devh
Racer

Thanks Devh. My ALL DATA DIY manual shows the vent plug but not the drain plug. Guess I'll see when I get under there.

As for the fluid....I assume the Toyota fluid is non-synth? I'd prefer the Redline as I've used it in the past....specifically my 7 series E65.

What's intersting is Redline Diff Fluid (GL-5) is used in formula 1 racing applications.
I have used Redline in the past on my other car and their formulations can stand up to daily use. I have used Motul transmission fluid and encountered a problem. I come to find out that the Motul GL5 that I used was specific for racing and cannot handle condensation or longevity.
Regardless, the additive formulation is more important then being Synthetic or not. Toyota engineers have it down to a science and I find it interesting that their diff fluid comes in two different varieties. One for limited slip and one without.
Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Fluid 08885-02506 Differential Gear Oil LT - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Fluid 08885-02506 Differential Gear Oil LT - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive
Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Parts 08885-02606 Differential Gear Oil LX - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Parts 08885-02606 Differential Gear Oil LX - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive

This is a big deal because Amsoil, Redline and some others claim they already have a limited slip additive which might not be optimal for our differentials. If it were me I would choose the LT version.
Old 08-25-14, 06:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
I have used Redline in the past on my other car and their formulations can stand up to daily use. I have used Motul transmission fluid and encountered a problem. I come to find out that the Motul GL5 that I used was specific for racing and cannot handle condensation or longevity.
Regardless, the additive formulation is more important then being Synthetic or not. Toyota engineers have it down to a science and I find it interesting that their diff fluid comes in two different varieties. One for limited slip and one without.
Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Fluid 08885-02506 Differential Gear Oil LT - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive
Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Parts 08885-02606 Differential Gear Oil LX - 1 Liter Bottle: Automotive

This is a big deal because Amsoil, Redline and some others claim they already have a limited slip additive which might not be optimal for our differentials. If it were me I would choose the LT version.
I've had good success with Redline in the past. However, I visited my Toyota dealer today. They told me to bring in an empty bottle or container and they would fill it with Toyota GL-5 for me for $4.50

These guys are awesome. They're charging me 119 dollars to change out my trans fluid on Wednesday.
Old 08-25-14, 07:22 PM
Devh
Racer

I've had good success with Redline in the past. However, I visited my Toyota dealer today. They told me to bring in an empty bottle or container and they would fill it with Toyota GL-5 for me for $4.50

These guys are awesome. They're charging me 119 dollars to change out my trans fluid on Wednesday.
That's good to hear and a great price. Let us know if there is a drain hole for the diff.
Also I found out that our transmission are now being implemented in the new Cadillac CTS.
I think I will do some snooping around to see what they recommend for transmission flush in the maintenance schedule.